Current:Home > MarketsMigrant deaths in Mediterranean reach highest level in 6 years -VisionFunds
Migrant deaths in Mediterranean reach highest level in 6 years
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-05 23:48:54
The number of migrant deaths in the Central Mediterranean in the first three months of 2023 reached their highest point in six years, according to a new report Wednesday from the United Nations International Organization for Migration (IOM).
In the first quarter of the year, the IOM documented 441 deaths of migrants attempting to cross what the agency calls "the world's most dangerous maritime crossing." It's the highest fatality count for a three-month period since the first quarter of 2017, when 742 deaths were recorded, according to IOM numbers.
Every year thousands of migrants, in sometimes rickety and overcrowded smuggler boats, attempt to reach Europe's southern shores from North Africa.
Last weekend, 3,000 migrants reached Italy, bringing the total number of migrant arrivals to Europe through the Central Mediterranean so far this year to 31,192, the IOM said.
The report seeks to serve as a wake-up call that food insecurity, the COVID-19 pandemic and violent conflicts worldwide have dramatically increased the movement of both migrants and refugees around the world.
"The persisting humanitarian crisis in the Central Mediterranean is intolerable," said IOM Director General António Vitorino in a statement. "With more than 20,000 deaths recorded on this route since 2014, I fear that these deaths have been normalized."
"States must respond," Vitorino said, adding that delays and gaps in search and rescue operations "are costing human lives."
The IOM noted in its report that the number of recorded deaths was "likely an undercount of the true number of lives lost in the Central Mediterranean."
"Saving lives at sea is a legal obligation for states," the IOM chief said, adding that action was needed to dismantle the criminal smuggling networks "responsible for profiting from the desperation of migrants and refugees by facilitating dangerous journeys."
The delays in government-led rescues on this route were a factor in hundreds of deaths, the report noted.
The report is part of the IOM's Missing Migrants Project, which documents the Central Mediterranean route taken by migrants from the North Africa and Turkish coasts, often departing Libya, Tunisia, Egypt and Algeria for Italy and Malta. Those nations serve as a transit point from all parts of the world, and have done so for many years.
Last November, Italy announced that it would close its ports to migrant ships run by non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
The report noted a February shipwreck off Italy's Calabrian coast in which at least 64 migrants died.
It also mentioned a boat carrying about 400 migrants that went adrift this past weekend, between Italy and Malta, before it was reached by the Italian Coast Guard after two days in distress. In a video posted to social media Wednesday, a spokesperson for Sea-Watch International, an NGO, criticized Malta for not assisting the ship, saying that Malta did not send a rescue ship "because they want to avoid" migrants "reaching their country."
"So far this year, Malta did not rescue any person in distress," the spokesperson alleged.
Italy, for its part, on Tuesday declared a state of emergency over the migrant crisis, pressing the European Union for help.
An attempted crackdown on smuggler ships has pushed migrants to take a longer and more dangerous Atlantic route to Europe from northwest Africa, resulting in what an Associated Press investigation dubbed "ghost boats" that have washed up with dead bodies, sometimes abandoned by their captains.
"Every person searching for a better life deserves safety and dignity," U.N. Secretary General Antonio Guterres, a former refugee chief, said in February when the death toll spiked. "We need safe, legal routes for migrants and refugees."
- In:
- Italy
- United Nations
- Migrants
- European Union
Pamela Falk is the CBS News correspondent covering the United Nations, and an international lawyer.
TwitterveryGood! (7)
Related
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
Ranking
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change