Current:Home > NewsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -VisionFunds
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 16:39:04
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (1238)
Related
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- NASCAR Cup race at Darlington: Reddick wins regular season, Briscoe takes Darlington
- 'I'll never be the person that I was': Denver police recruit recalls 'brutal hazing'
- Expect more illnesses in listeria outbreak tied to Boar's Head deli meat, food safety attorney says
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- District attorney’s progressive policies face blowback from Louisiana’s conservative Legislature
- 2024 US Open is wide open on men's side. So we ranked who's most likely to win
- Gilmore Girls' Kelly Bishop Reacts to Criticism of Rory Gilmore's Adult Storyline
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Jennifer Lopez Proves She's Unbothered Amid Ben Affleck Divorce
Ranking
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Storm sets off floods and landslides in Philippines, leaving at least 9 dead
- 3 dead after plane crashes into townhomes near Portland, Oregon: Reports
- Judge shields second border aid group from deeper questioning in Texas investigation
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- On the first day without X, many Brazilians say they feel disconnected from the world
- Gaudreau’s wife thanks him for ‘the best years of my life’ in Instagram tribute to fallen NHL player
- 4 killed, 2 injured in Hawaii shooting; shooter among those killed, police say
Recommendation
'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
What restaurants are open on Labor Day? Hours and details for McDonald's, Chick-fil-A, more
3 dead after plane crashes into townhomes near Portland, Oregon: Reports
Sinaloa drug kingpin sentenced to 28 years for trafficking narcotics to Alaska
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
Small airplane crashes into neighborhood in Oregon, sheriff's office says
NASCAR Darlington summer 2024: Start time, TV, streaming, lineup for Cook Out Southern 500
Murder on Music Row: Shots in the heart of country music disrupt the Nashville night