Current:Home > MarketsNASCAR driver Ryan Preece gets medical clearance to return home after terrifying crash at Daytona -VisionFunds
NASCAR driver Ryan Preece gets medical clearance to return home after terrifying crash at Daytona
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:59:47
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — NASCAR driver Ryan Preece, whose car rolled about a dozen times during a terrifying crash at Daytona International Speedway, was on his way home about 12 hours later after being discharged from a hospital Sunday.
Stewart-Haas Racing said Preece was headed back to North Carolina after getting clearance from doctors at Halifax Health Medical Center. The team earlier said Preece was “awake, alert and mobile” and “had been communicating with family and friends.”
The 32-year-old Preece was able to climb out of his mangled No. 41 Ford on Saturday night with help before emergency workers put him on a gurney and into an ambulance. He initially went to the track’s infield care center before being transported to Halifax Health for overnight observation.
Preece tweeted about two hours after the race, posting: “If you want to be a race car driver, you better be tough. ... I’m coming back.”
Preece and SHR teammate Chase Briscoe made contact coming out of Turn 4, and Preece’s car turned hard left and then went into an uncontrollable barrel roll as soon as it slid from the asphalt to the infield grass. The car came to a halt on all four tires, with some minor damage to the roll cage.
Preece being able to climb out with help was a testament to NASCAR’s Next Gen car, which is considered the safest iteration in its 75-year history.
The car was roundly criticized following its debut in 2022 because rear-impact collisions wreaked havoc on drivers. Kurt Busch of 23XI Racing suffered a life-changing concussion during a qualifying crash at Pocono Raceway last summer, and Hendrick Motorsports driver Alex Bowman missed five races because of a concussion.
Multiple other drivers complained about the violence felt during what they considered routine hits and wondered if they too had suffered head trauma.
NASCAR spent much of last year and the offseason testing and tweaking its car to try to limit the G-forces delivered to drivers. The changes were welcomed, resulting in considerably fewer missed races and no reported concussions in 2023.
Busch, meanwhile, has yet to return to racing and formally retired from the Cup Series Saturday at Daytona. The 45-year-old Busch held back tears as he called it quits, saying his “body is just having a battle with Father Time.”
Busch added that he’s dealt with arthritis and gout while trying to shake lingering effects of a brain injury that rocked stock car racing a year ago.
Preece’s accident harkened memories of Ryan Newman’s harrowing wreck in the 2020 Daytona 500. Newman was able to walk out of the hospital days later, another testament to NASCAR safety improvements made since Dale Earnhardt’s death on the final lap of the 2001 Daytona 500.
___
AP auto racing: https://apnews.com/hub/auto-racing
veryGood! (9)
Related
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Hungary’s Orbán says Ukraine is ‘light years away’ from joining the EU
- Cricket-mad India readies for World Cup final against Australia in 132,000-seat venue
- Australia says its navy divers were likely injured by the Chinese navy’s ‘unsafe’ use of sonar
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Arkansas man used losing $20 scratch-off ticket to win $500,000 in play-it-again game
- Investigators found fire and safety hazards on land under I-10 in Los Angeles before arson fire
- Thanksgiving recipes to help you save money on food costs and still impress your guests
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Australia says its navy divers were likely injured by the Chinese navy’s ‘unsafe’ use of sonar
Ranking
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Taylor Swift Says She's Devastated After Fan Dies at Her Brazil Concert
- Cassie Settles Lawsuit Accusing Sean Diddy Combs of Rape and Abuse
- No turkey needed: How to make a vegetarian Thanksgiving spread, including the main dish
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Dogs are coming down with an unusual respiratory illness in several US states
- The Pakistani army kills 4 militants during a raid along the border with Afghanistan
- Dolly Parton joins Peyton Manning at Tennessee vs. Georgia, sings 'Rocky Top'
Recommendation
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
First group of wounded Palestinian children from Israel-Hamas war arrives in United Arab Emirates
Sam Altman leaving OpenAI, with its board saying it no longer has confidence in his leadership
One woman's controversial fight to make America accept drug users for who they are
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
Russian doctors call for release of imprisoned artist who protested Ukraine war
Taylor Swift Postpones Second Brazil Concert Due to Extreme Temperatures and After Fan's Death
Angel Reese absent from LSU women's basketball game Friday. What coach Kim Mulkey said