Current:Home > MarketsCassie Settles Lawsuit Accusing Sean "Diddy" Combs of Rape and Abuse -VisionFunds
Cassie Settles Lawsuit Accusing Sean "Diddy" Combs of Rape and Abuse
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 15:01:15
Content warning: This story discusses sexual assault and abuse.
Sean "Diddy" Combs and ex-girlfriend Cassie have reached a settlement over her lawsuit accusing him of rape and abuse, allegations he denied.
The news was announced Nov. 17, a day after she sued the rapper in a New York court for alleged sexual assault, battery, sex trafficking and subjecting her to a hostile work environment.
"I have decided to resolve this matter amicably on terms that I have some level of control," the singer, full name Cassandra Ventura, said in a statement to NBC News. "I want to thank my family, fans and lawyers for their unwavering support."
Her lawyer, Douglas Wigdor, added, "I am very proud of Ms. Ventura for having the strength to go public with her lawsuit. She ought to be commended for doing so."
Diddy, who also goes by the name Love, said in his own statement to the outlet, "We have decided to resolve this matter amicably. I wish Cassie and her family all the best. Love."
The 54-year-old and Cassie dated on and off for almost a decade before they split in 2018. In her Nov. 16 lawsuit, she accused him of physical and sexual abuse throughout their relationship.
In her complaint, obtained by NBC News, Cassie, 37, alleged she was "lured" into dating Diddy, who she called a "vicious, cruel, and controlling man," after signing with his record label. She cited fear of repercussions for an album deal if she rejected his advances and alleged that throughout their relationship, he "punched, beat, kicked and stomped on" her and forced her to engage in sex acts with male sex workers. She also stated in the lawsuit that in 2018, the two met for dinner to discuss breaking up and that Diddy allegedly later "forced himself into her apartment" and raped her.
"After years in silence and darkness, I am finally ready to tell my story, and to speak up on behalf of myself and for the benefit of other women who face violence and abuse in their relationships," she said in a statement to NBC News Nov. 16. "With the expiration of New York's Adult Survivors Act fast approaching, it became clear that this was an opportunity to speak up about the trauma I have experienced and that I will be recovering from for the rest of my life."
Diddy's attorney Ben Brafman later told E! News in a statement, "Mr. Combs vehemently denies these offensive and outrageous allegations. For the past six months, Mr. Combs has been subjected to Ms. Ventura's persistent demand of $30 million, under the threat of writing a damaging book about their relationship, which was unequivocally rejected as blatant blackmail. Despite withdrawing her initial threat, Ms. Ventura has now resorted to filing a lawsuit riddled with baseless and outrageous lies, aiming to tarnish Mr. Combs' reputation and seeking a payday."
E! News previously reached out to reps for Cassie for comment but hasn't heard back.
(E! and NBC News are part of the NBCUniversal family.)
For free, confidential help, call the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 1-800-656-4673 or visit rainn.org.veryGood! (51485)
Related
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- A Maui County appointee oversaw grants to nonprofits tied to her family members
- Clint Eastwood's Son Scott Shares How Family Is Doing After Death of Christina Sandera
- At least 1 arrest made in connection to Matthew Perry’s death, authorities say
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Ex-YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki dies a year after stepping down. Who is the current CEO?
- Get 10 free boneless wings with your order at Buffalo Wild Wings: How to get the deal
- The Golden Bachelorette’s Joan Vassos Reveals She’s Gotten D--k Pics, Requests Involving Feet
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- 'Business done right': Why the WWE-TNA partnership has been a success
Ranking
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Donald Trump asks judge to delay sentencing in hush money case until after November election
- Love Is Blind's Alexa Lemieux Gives Birth, Welcomes First Baby With Husband Brennon
- Matthew Perry Investigation: At Least One Arrest Made in Connection to Actor's Death
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- White House says deals struck to cut prices of popular Medicare drugs that cost $50 billion yearly
- Arrests made in Virginia county targeted by high-end theft rings
- A stowaway groundhog is elevated to local icon
Recommendation
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
Justice Department defends Boeing plea deal against criticism by 737 Max crash victims’ families
Miami father, 9-year-old son killed after Waverunner slams into concrete seawall in Keys
Injured Ferguson officer shows ‘small but significant’ signs of progress in Missouri
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Usher Cancels Atlanta Concert Hours Before Show to Rest and Heal
Red Cross blood inventory plummets 25% in July, impacted by heat and record low donations
The State Fair of Texas is banning firearms, drawing threats of legal action from Republican AG