Current:Home > ContactTradeEdge-911 transcripts reveal chaotic scene as gunman killed 18 people in Maine -VisionFunds
TradeEdge-911 transcripts reveal chaotic scene as gunman killed 18 people in Maine
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 15:37:03
PORTLAND,TradeEdge Maine (AP) — Callers who dialed 911 after Maine’s deadliest mass shooting described hiding behind trees, scrambling to find their glasses, searching for loved ones and fearing for their lives after shots rang out first at a bowling alley, then minutes later at a bar.
Transcripts of the 911 calls from the Oct. 25 shooting released Monday show the chaotic aftermath of the shooting that left 18 people dead, with dispatchers providing encouragement to callers worried about the shooter’s whereabouts. The calls capture tense moments, including one caller who described hiding under a pool table next to someone who was injured and bleeding.
The calls also include dispatchers providing encouragement and telling survivors to wait for police to announce their arrival.
“Just keep those around you as quiet as possible. If you hear the police announce themselves, make yourselves known, but otherwise I want you to stay down and stay quiet, OK?” one dispatcher said in the transcripts, released in response to a Freedom of Access Act request by The Associated Press and other news organizations.
One of the 911 calls came from someone whose child was hit in the arm. “Shooter. There’s a shooter,” the caller said. “I have a kid. He’s bleeding.” Another caller reported grabbing a 4-year-old and running. Another simply implored, “Please hurry.” Another person appeared to be counseling someone who was injured while on the phone, saying: “Pray, pray. You’re OK. You’re OK. Trying to look for something clean. My coat is the only thing.”
According to the transcripts, there were 50 911 calls in little more than 50 minutes to two dispatch centers operated by Lewiston-Auburn and Androscoggin County. One additional call was made later to the Cumberland County dispatch with a caller identifying the gunman after the photo was released.
The documents show people began identifying the shooter soon after the photo was released to the public. But there was also much confusion - one caller explained to a dispatcher that they did not know if someone trying to get into the building was the shooter or police, and survivors inside were terrified.
“Find out because they’re trying to get in and we’re scared,” the caller said.
Another person said they’d made it to the river behind Schemengees, the bar where the shooting continued, but they didn’t know where the shooter was.
“I’m blind,” the person said.
The operator said to get out of the area immediately. “I – I can’t. I’m blind,” the person repeated. “I lost my glasses. There’s some other people here. I don’t know if they’re bystanders or the shooter.”
About two hours after the bowling alley shooting, one caller said they saw a picture of the suspect online and correctly identified him as Robert Card of Bowdoin. The caller described Card’s deteriorating mental health state as known to the community, saying he had recently kicked his family out of his house and “they’re basically estranged and he’s just not been well.”
The caller’s name is redacted, but their statements support previously released police and military statements about Card’s mental health state and potential danger to the community. The caller went on to state that Card was known to have firearms in his house, and that the sheriff’s department had previously been contacted about his behavior and mental health.
“We’ve just been really concerned about his mental health lately,” the person said.
In one call, a dispatcher tried to calm down a caller who was scared about the shooter’s whereabouts.
“Just do not make any sudden movements. If you know there’s police, put your hands in the air so they know you’re not armed,” the dispatcher said.
The caller then said, “never would’ve thought this would happen here in Lewiston, Maine,” before hanging up.
All told, 18 people were killed and 13 wounded when the Army reservist opened fire, leaving behind carnage and prompting a lockdown for tens of thousands of residents during the biggest manhunt in state history. It ended with the discovery of the gunman’s body two days later in nearby Lisbon. An autopsy concluded he died by suicide.
An independent commission appointed by Gov. Janet Mills is investigating all aspects of the shootings, which sparked consternation over why warning signs about Card’s deteriorating mental health were ignored.
Concern about Card’s behavior accelerated when he was hospitalized for two weeks while with his Army Reserve unit for training at West Point, New York. After his release, his access to military weapons was restricted, and he was no longer allowed to be deployed with his unit.
His fellow reservists remained worried about him upon his return to Maine. One of them wrote to a superior in September in a text: “I believe he’s going to snap and do a mass shooting.”
The FBI said Card’s hospitalization didn’t cause him to be placed on a list of “prohibited” people who are not allowed to have guns. And laws in New York and Maine aimed at removing guns from people who pose a danger were not invoked.
Deputies visited Card’s home in Bowdoin twice about a month before the mass shootings, but he didn’t come to the door. The sheriff said law enforcement didn’t have the legal authority to knock down the door.
It’s unclear what happened after that, though the sheriff’s office canceled its statewide alert seeking help locating Card a week before the deadly rampage.
___
Associated Press writers Alanna Durkin Richer and Michael Casey in Boston and Nick Perry in Meredith, New Hampshire, contributed to this report.
veryGood! (26366)
Related
- Average rate on 30
- UAW president Shawn Fain on labor's comeback: This is what happens when workers get power
- Former NFL MVP Cam Newton involved in scuffle at 7-on-7 youth football tournament in Atlanta
- Proof Reese Witherspoon Has TikToker Campbell Pookie Puckett on the Brain at 2024 SAG Awards
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Margot Robbie Has New Twist on Barbie With Black and Pink SAG Awards Red Carpet Look
- Everything you need to know about solar eclipse glasses, including where to get them
- Jen Pawol becomes the first woman to umpire a spring training game since 2007
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Don't fret Android and iPhone users, here are some messaging apps if service goes out
Ranking
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- What caused the AT&T outage? Company's initial review says it wasn't a cyberattack
- 2024 SAG Awards: Carey Mulligan Reveals What She Learned From Bradley Cooper
- Florida mom describes rescue after being held captive by estranged husband: I'd been pulled from hell
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- You're Invited Inside the 2024 SAG Awards After-Party With Jon Hamm, Joey King and More
- South Carolina primary exit polls for the 2024 GOP election: What voters said as they cast their ballots
- Shane Gillis struggles in a 'Saturday Night Live' monologue which avoids the obvious
Recommendation
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
Powerball winning numbers for Feb. 24 drawing: Jackpot rises to over $370 million
AT&T will give $5 to customers hit by cellphone network outage
Cillian Murphy opens up about challenges of playing J. Robert Oppenheimer and potential Peaky Blinders film
The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
Amy Schumer has been diagnosed with Cushing syndrome after criticism about 'puffier' face
2024 SAG Awards: Josh Hartnett Turns Attention to Oppenheimer Costars During Rare Interview
Vin Diesel to stay with 'Fast and Furious' franchise after sexual assault lawsuit