Current:Home > FinanceMike Babcock resigns as Columbus Blue Jackets coach after NHLPA investigation -VisionFunds
Mike Babcock resigns as Columbus Blue Jackets coach after NHLPA investigation
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 22:07:21
The Blue Jackets’ Mike Babcock era barely lasted three months and is over before the controversial coach could run the bench in a single game.
Babcock resigned Sunday, four days after allegations surfaced on a popular hockey podcast that he violated players’ privacy during offseason meetings and 78 days after the Blue Jackets announced him as their new head coach.
The team also announced that associate coach Pascal Vincent has been named head coach and agreed to a two-year contract.
It’s a stunning development with the team set to open training camp Wednesday.
Reviews were conducted by the NHL and NHL Players’ Association after former NHL player and TNT studio host Paul Bissonnette made allegations Tuesday on the “Spittin’ Chiclets” podcast that Babcock, 60, was demanding access to players’ phones so he could scroll through personal photos.
The Blue Jackets’ initial response to the podcast’s allegations was to push back against them and attempt to explain what happened by adding context from Babcock and captain Boone Jenner, whose meeting with Babcock was referenced by Bissonnette on the podcast.
Bissonnette said Babcock told the Blue Jackets’ captain he wanted to see the photos on his phone to “see what kind of person you are.”
Hours after the podcast was published, Babcock and Jenner issued statements through the Blue Jackets refuting Bissonnette’s version of what happened and saying it was “disappointing” to see their interaction taken out of context. During calls with The Columbus Dispatch following those statements, Babcock and Jenner each said the Jackets’ captain responded to Babcock’s request by using Apple’s Airplay feature to post some photos on the TV screen in the coach’s office.
“To have it blown out of proportion, completely out of proportion, is disappointing to me,” Jenner said. “That was our first meeting, getting to know each other. It was a really good meeting and all the talks we’ve had since have been really good.”
Blue Jackets forward Johnny Gaudreau echoed Jenner’s story and said that his summer interactions with Babcock were positive. Defenseman Zach Werenski said the same thing Wednesday on 97.1 FM.
“I think it’s one of those things where it’s really a non-event in our locker room,” Werenski said. “I think guys didn’t even think twice about it when they were meeting with ‘Babs’ and kind of going through that process. It’s so harmless on his end. He’s just trying to get to know guys.”
Werenski met with Babcock at the coach’s home in Brighton, Michigan, and said the screen sharing function on his phone wasn’t working during the three-hour chat. After speaking with multiple teammates about their meetings with the coach, Werenski said he didn’t detect red flags about Babcock.
“Everyone I’ve talked to has said the same thing,” Werenski said on the radio show. “He just wants to see our family, see our dogs, where we’re from, what we like to do in the summer … there (were) no boundaries crossed at all with anyone.”
The Blue Jackets’ reversal on the allegations followed the NHLPA’s inquiry, which included the organization’s top two leaders – executive director Marty Walsh and assistant executive director Ron Hainsey – flying to Columbus on Thursday to speak with players. Walsh, Hainsey and NHLPA general counsel Don Zavelo then headed to New York to meet with NHL officials Friday at the league’s headquarters.
It was a previously scheduled meeting, but the NHLPA leaders updated the league on what they learned about Babcock’s interactions with players. The NHLPA issued a statement following the meeting that said the NHL provided an update on the union’s ongoing review of the matter. The NHL did not issue a statement following the meeting.
Contact Brian Heddger at [email protected]; follow him @BrianHedger.
veryGood! (8746)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Alicia Keys autobiographical stage musical 'Hell’s Kitchen' to debut on Broadway in spring
- California man charged in killings of 3 homeless people in Los Angeles
- Law enforcement identify man killed in landslide at Minnesota state park
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- German man accused of forming armed group to oppose COVID measures arrested in Portugal
- A Nigerian military attack mistakenly bombed a religious gathering and killed civilians
- US job openings fall to lowest level since March 2021 as labor market cools
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Students around the world suffered huge learning setbacks during the pandemic, study finds
Ranking
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Judges reject call for near ban on Hague prison visits for 3 former Kosovo Liberation Army fighters
- AI’s future could be ‘open-source’ or closed. Tech giants are divided as they lobby regulators
- Coach Outlet’s Holiday Gift Guide Has the Perfect Gifts for Everyone on Your Nice List
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Cosmonauts remotely guide Russian cargo ship to space station docking after guidance glitch
- ‘We are officially hostages.’ How the Israeli kibbutz of Nir Oz embodied Hamas hostage strategy
- Vanessa Hudgens' Beach Day Is the Start of Something New With Husband Cole Tucker
Recommendation
The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
Prince Harry challenges UK government’s decision to strip him of security detail when he moved to US
Oxford picks rizz as the word of the year
Gloria Allred represents family of minor at the center of Josh Giddey investigation
Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
Ancient methane escaping from melting glaciers could potentially warm the planet even more
Kenan Thompson Shares Why He Hasn’t Spoken Out About Divorce From Christina Evangeline
Mexico halts deportations and migrant transfers citing lack of funds