Current:Home > MyPrince Harry challenges UK government’s decision to strip him of security detail when he moved to US -VisionFunds
Prince Harry challenges UK government’s decision to strip him of security detail when he moved to US
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 11:56:56
LONDON (AP) — Prince Harry is challenging on Tuesday the British government’s decision to strip him of his security detail after he gave up his status as a working member of the royal family and moved to the United States.
The Duke of Sussex said he wants protection when he visits home and claimed it’s partly because an aggressive press jeopardizes his safety and that of his family.
The three-day hearing scheduled to begin in London’s High Court is the latest in a string of Harry’s legal cases that have kept London judges busy as he takes on the U.K. government and the British tabloid media. It was not clear if he would attend Tuesday’s hearing.
Harry failed to persuade a different judge earlier this year that he should be able to privately pay for London’s police force to guard him when he comes to town. A judge denied that offer after a government lawyer argued that officers shouldn’t be used as “private bodyguards for the wealthy.”
Harry, the youngest son of King Charles III, said he did not feel safe bringing his wife, former actor Meghan Markle, and their two young children back to Britain and was concerned about his own safety after being chased by paparazzi following a London charity event.
Harry’s animosity toward the press dates back to the death of his mother Princess Diana, who died in a car wreck as her driver tried to outrun aggressive photographers in Paris. Harry, whose wife is mixed-raced, cited what he said were racist attitudes and unbearable intrusions of the British media in his decision to leave the United Kingdom.
The 39-year-old prince is challenging the decision by the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures to provide his security on a “case by case” basis after moving in 2020 to Canada and then California, where he and his family now reside.
He said the committee unfairly nixed his security request without hearing from him personally and did not disclose the makeup of the panel, which he later learned included royal family staff. He said Edward Young, the assistant private secretary to the late Queen Elizabeth II, should not have been on the committee because of “significant tensions” between the two men.
The Home Office has argued that any tensions between Harry and the royal household staff was irrelevant and that the committee was entitled to its decision because he had relinquished his role as a working member of the family.
The case is one of five that Harry has pending in the High Court.
The four other lawsuits involve Britain’s best-known tabloids, including a case that alleges the publisher of the Daily Mail libeled him when it ran a story suggesting he had tried to hide his efforts to continue receiving government-funded security. A ruling is expected in that case Friday.
Three other lawsuits allege that journalists at the Mail, the Daily Mirror, and The Sun used unlawful means, such as deception, phone hacking or hiring private investigators to dig up dirt about him.
veryGood! (376)
Related
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Clothes That Show Your Pride: Rainbow Fleece Pants, Sweaters, Workout Leggings & More
- Energy Regulator’s Order Could Boost Coal Over Renewables, Raising Costs for Consumers
- After holiday week marred by mass shootings, Congress faces demands to rekindle efforts to reduce gun violence
- Average rate on 30
- Inside Clean Energy: The Case for Optimism
- Video game testers approve the first union at Microsoft
- How the Ultimate Co-Sign From Taylor Swift Is Giving Owenn Confidence on The Eras Tour
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- As Coal Declined, This Valley Turned to Sustainable Farming. Now Fracking Threatens Its Future.
Ranking
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Chrissy Teigen Slams Critic Over Comments About Her Appearance
- The Rest of the Story, 2022
- Ukraine's Elina Svitolina missed a Harry Styles show to play Wimbledon. Now, Styles has an invitation for her.
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Video: As Covid-19 Hinders City Efforts to Protect Residents From the Heat, Community Groups Step In
- Ryan Reynolds, Bruce Willis, Dwayne Johnson and Other Proud Girl Dads
- Video: As Covid-19 Hinders City Efforts to Protect Residents From the Heat, Community Groups Step In
Recommendation
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
‘At the Forefront of Climate Change,’ Hoboken, New Jersey, Seeks Damages From ExxonMobil
Southwest Airlines' holiday chaos could cost the company as much as $825 million
As Climate Change Hits the Southeast, Communities Wrestle with Politics, Funding
The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
The economics lessons in kids' books
Southwest promoted five executives just weeks after a disastrous meltdown
Biden signs a bill to fight expensive prison phone call costs