Current:Home > reviewsSanders among latest to call for resignation of Arkansas Board of Corrections member -VisionFunds
Sanders among latest to call for resignation of Arkansas Board of Corrections member
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:53:15
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders on Thursday asked that Board of Corrections member Alonza Jiles resign his seat.
Sanders issued the statement months after Jiles was named in lawsuits that allege he helped to cover up physical and sexual abuse at a juvenile treatment center in Randolph County, The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported. She joins numerous lawmakers and other state leaders, including Attorney General Tim Griffin, who also have publicly urged Jiles to resign.
“The accusations against Alonza Jiles are concerning and a distraction from his work and the work of the Board of Corrections,” Sanders said in a statement.
Jiles, 60, was appointed to the board by then-Gov. Mike Huckabee in 2006, and was elected secretary the following year. That term expired in 2011. Then-Gov. Asa Hutchinson appointed him to the board again in 2022. His second term is scheduled to expire Dec. 31, 2027.
Jiles denied what he called “baseless allegations” against him in the lawsuits over the Lord’s Ranch facility, he said in a statement. Efforts to force his resignation are an attack on the state constitution’s 33rd amendment, which shields constitutional boards from political pressure, he said.
“I was not aware of, nor did I participate in any child abuse. I did not preside over a wedding of any minor at the Lord’s Ranch,” he said. “I have kept silent about this on the advice of counsel and because these lawsuits are pending.”
If Jiles were to resign, Sanders would appoint his replacement. It would be at least the fifth appointment within the state Department of Corrections she has made since December. Sanders is in an ongoing feud with the board.
Sanders has pressured board members into supporting her request to add 622 beds at several state facilities. The board had previously agreed to some of her requests but had rejected her call for a combined 492 beds at the Barber Ester Unit in Pine Bluff, the McPherson Unit in Newport, and the Maximum Security Unit in Jefferson County.
At the time, the board said renovations were needed at two of the facilities. Members also expressed concerns that some of the prisons were already overcrowded and the expansions wouldn’t serve county jails’ long-term needs.
The board later agreed to additional beds at the Ester Unit but hesitated to add 368 beds at the McPherson and Maximum Security units. A spokeswoman for Sanders’ office said in December that Corrections Secretary Joe Profiri would move forward with the full plan anyway under orders from the governor.
The body soon suspended Profiri with pay and banned him from the Department of Corrections administrative building, then fired him four weeks later. Within about three hours, Sanders announced she had hired the former secretary as a senior adviser in her office.
Meanwhile, Jiles and other staff members are the subject of numerous lawsuits filed by 52 former residents of the now-closed Lord’s Ranch, a faith-based juvenile facility. The lawsuits allege sexual abuse and that Jiles covered up attempts to report the violations.
Jiles, who is described in complaints as a “senior director of the Lord’s Ranch Entities and facilities” and serving as “administrative director at its primary facility located in Warm Springs,” is a defendant in each of the cases. Other defendants include Theodore E. “Ted” Suhl, the former director of the Lord’s Ranch in Randolph County, along with his mother, staff members and business entities associated with the facility.
Stephen D. Blandin and Joshua Gillispie, attorneys for the plaintiffs, in a statement Thursday said that according to the lawsuits, Jiles knew about a counselor’s abuse of teenagers. They said they support Sanders’ call.
Jiles “fully ignored his responsibility as both a staff member of this residential youth facility and as a decent human being,” the attorneys said. “Had he done the right thing and reported these concerns when he first learned of them, he could have saved so many young people from the trauma of sexual abuse.”
Board of Corrections Chairman Benny Magness said he has known Jiles for about 20 years and defended his character, but has not commented on whether he thought Jiles should resign.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Regulators and law enforcement crack down on crypto’s bad actors. Congress has yet to take action
- A Las Vegas high school grapples with how a feud over stolen items escalated into a fatal beating
- Pfizer's stock price is at a three-year low. Is it time to buy?
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Police say 2 dead and 5 wounded in Philadelphia shooting that may be drug-related
- The top contenders to lead the Netherlands, from a former refugee to an anti-Islam populist
- A robot powered by artificial intelligence may be able to make oxygen on Mars, study finds
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- With no Powerball available, a Mass. woman played a different game and won $25,000 for life
Ranking
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Wilcox Ice Cream recalls multiple products after listeria found in batch of mint chip
- Do you know this famous Sagittarius? Check out these 30 celebrity fire signs.
- Twilight Director Reveals Kristen Stewart Crashed Robert Pattinson’s 37th Birthday Party
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- From 'Blue Beetle' to 'Good Burger 2,' here are 15 movies you need to stream right now
- Matt Rife responds to domestic violence backlash from Netflix special with disability joke
- Police say some 70 bullets fired in North Philadelphia shooting that left 2 dead, 5 wounded
Recommendation
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
Albuquerque police cadet and husband are dead in suspected domestic violence incident, police say
Fantasy football rankings for Week 12: Be thankful for Chargers stars
Billion Dollar Babies: The True Story of the Cabbage Patch Kids Teaser Shows Dangerous Obsession
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Suspected militants kill 5, including 2 soldiers, in pair of bombings in northwest Pakistan
Palestinian flag displayed by fans of Scottish club Celtic at Champions League game draws UEFA fine
Prince Harry will appeal to ministers to obtain evidence for lawsuit against UK publisher