Current:Home > NewsPrince Harry will appeal to ministers to obtain evidence for lawsuit against UK publisher -VisionFunds
Prince Harry will appeal to ministers to obtain evidence for lawsuit against UK publisher
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 16:45:38
LONDON — Prince Harry's battles with British tabloids are taking a detour from London courts to the halls of government as he seeks evidence from a decade-old inquiry that is central to his phone hacking lawsuit against the publisher of the Daily Mail, his lawyer said Tuesday.
The Duke of Sussex and celebrities such as Elton John and actor Elizabeth Hurley, who are suing Associated Newspapers Ltd., want to use documents that were disclosed confidentially to a government inquiry into a scandal involving journalists who eavesdropped on voicemails of celebrities, politicians and even murder victims.
An attorney for Harry and the celebrities said he would ask government ministers to revoke or amend a previous order that restricted publication of records of payments to private detectives who allegedly bugged phones and used listening devices to illegally snoop on his clients.
The newspapers deny the claims.
Earlier this month, Justice Matthew Nicklin rejected the Mail's attempt to throw out the case without trial, but also ruled the claimants could not use evidence that had been leaked from the inquiry. The judge said payment ledgers had been turned over in confidence to the Leveson inquiry and were therefore inadmissible without a change in the order restricting their release.
The lawsuit is one of several brought by Harry in his personal mission to tame the tabloids. He blames the media for the death of his mother, Princess Diana, who was killed in a car crash in Paris in 1997 while being pursued by paparazzi. He also said the aggressive press led him and his wife, Meghan, to abandon their royal duties and decamp to the U.S.
It's his third lawsuit against newspaper publishers to get the green light to go to trial on similar allegations.
Judge says Daily Mail publisher failed to deliver a 'knockout blow' in the case
Another judge is currently weighing whether to award Harry damages against the publisher of the Daily Mirror for using skulduggery to dig up dirt on his life. A similar case is to be scheduled for trial next year involving claims he and actor Hugh Grant have brought against The Sun.
Associated Newspapers declined to voluntarily disclose the evidence, so attorney David Sherborne said Harry and other claimants would ask government ministers who ordered the 2011 phone hacking inquiry to amend or revoke the orders.
The hearing Tuesday in the High Court was largely focused on how to award what the judge said could be record-breaking legal fees at this stage in the case for the previous round of arguments in court.
Nicklin said the Duke of Sussex and his fellow claimants were due legal fees because the publisher had been "wholly unsuccessful" and failed to deliver a "knockout blow" in its effort to throw out the case.
Next hearing in the case will take place in March
Claimants spent 1.7 million ($2.1 million) pounds to prevail against the publisher's failed attempt to get the case dismissed, Sherborne said. The publisher is seeking up to 755,000 pounds ($945,000) in fees used to successfully block the use of the evidence from the Leveson inquiry.
Associated Newspapers attorney Adrian Beltrami said use of the ledgers was a breach of confidentiality obligations and that Harry's lawyers had "acted tactically and cynically in seeking to use such illegitimately obtained information to support their speculative claims."
Nicklin said he didn't want to award the fees without further review and ordered another hearing in March."I'm interested in better justice, not rough and ready justice," Nicklin said.
Other parties to the case are actor Sadie Frost; Elton John's husband, David Furnish; anti-racism advocate Doreen Lawrence and former politician Simon Hughes.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Aaron Rodgers Will No Longer Appear on The Pat McAfee Show After Jimmy Kimmel Controversy
- Music streams hit 4 trillion in 2023. Country and global acts — and Taylor Swift — fueled the growth
- How Jennifer Lopez Poked Fun at Her Past Marriages in Latest Music Video
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Security of Georgia's Dominion voting machines put on trial
- Raptors' Darko Rajaković goes on epic postgame rant, gets ringing endorsement from Drake
- Blackhawks' Connor Bedard has surgery on fractured jaw. How does that affect rookie race?
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- As prison populations rise, states face a stubborn staffing crisis
Ranking
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- What to expect in the Iowa caucuses | AP Election Brief
- The Best Workout Sets for Gym Girlies, Hot Girl Walks and More in 2024
- Season grades for all 133 college football teams. Who got an A on their report card?
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Volunteer Connecticut firefighter hailed as hero for quick action after spotting house fire
- Powerful storms bring heavy snow, rain, tornadoes, flooding to much of U.S., leave several dead
- Small-town Nebraska voters remove school board member who tried to pull books from libraries
Recommendation
Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
Alaska Airlines cancels flights on certain Boeing planes through Saturday for mandatory inspections
Glassdoor unveils the best places to work in 2024. Here are the top 10 companies.
Man dies after he was found unresponsive in cell at problem-plagued jail in Atlanta
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
From snow squalls to tornado warnings, the U.S. is being pummeled with severe storms this week. What do these weather terms mean?
Secret tunnel found in NYC synagogue leads to 9 arrests after confrontation
Germany approves the export of air-defense missiles to Saudi Arabia, underlining a softer approach