Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|DeSantis campaign pre-debate memo criticizes Trump, is dismissive of other rivals despite polling gap closing -VisionFunds
Burley Garcia|DeSantis campaign pre-debate memo criticizes Trump, is dismissive of other rivals despite polling gap closing
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 03:23:02
A memo sent to donors Saturday from the presidential campaign of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis criticizes former President Donald Trump and Burley Garciadismisses other GOP rivals, even as his own polling numbers drop and remain stagnant.
The memo, first obtained and reported on by CBS News, reassures donors and supporters of the campaign's confidence in the governor's standing ahead of next Wednesday's primary debate in California. It encourages them to "help echo the governor's message" on social media throughout the debate, and comes as the latest campaign finance quarter ends Sept. 30.
The memo alludes to other GOP rivals who have been catching up to DeSantis in early polling. While it does not name specific opponents, it says the "fundamentals" of the primary race "have not changed since the last debate."
DeSantis "is the only candidate that can beat both Joe Biden and Donald Trump, and we are the only campaign built for the long haul in terms of resources and organization," DeSantis campaign manager James Uthmeier writes in the memo.
However – despite the campaign's confidence – DeSantis has consistently trailed Trump by double digits in national and state-level polling since the first debate, and other GOP rivals have cut into his second place status. A recent CNN-University of New Hampshire poll placed businessman Vivek Ramaswamy (13%), former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley (12%), and former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (11%), higher than DeSantis, who sat at 10%, in the early presidential primary state.
Uthmeier goes on to claim that Trump has had a "disastrous stretch," citing Trump's appearance earlier this month at an Iowa vs. Iowa State college football game — where it appeared some in the crowd were giving Trump a middle finger — to a Sept. 16 interview on NBC News where he said he'd be open to a compromise with Democrats on federal abortion restrictions.
The memo does not outline whether DeSantis himself would directly attack the former president on the debate stage Sept. 27 at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California.
"[Trump] continues to replicate Joe Biden's campaign-from-the-basement strategy despite his own advisors even acknowledging it will hurt him in Iowa," Uthmeier writes, referencing Trump's campaign schedule in the state.
Trump has already said he will skip the second debate, and instead travel to Detroit for a speech amid the United Auto Workers strike against the Big Three automakers.
Trump campaign spokesperson Steve Cheung called the memo "a desperate cry for help from a candidate who is flailing in the polls and has lost all control."
"His campaign is living in a fantasy land devoid of reality and everyone is laughing at the joke of a campaign he's running. President Trump is crushing him in the polls, dominating him in early state operations, and the only one who consistently beats Biden in surveys," Cheung said.
DeSantis in recent weeks has upped his criticism of Trump on a myriad of topics, including abortion and his decision to not attend the debates.
"He owes it to people to make the case and to defend his record. You can't just not be showing up to these things," DeSantis said in an interview with ABC News Live.
Allies and supporters of DeSantis thought he had a solid performance at the first GOP debate in Milwaukee in August, but they acknowledge he was often overshadowed by the constant crossfire between Ramaswamy, former Vice President Mike Pence, Christie or Haley.
"I'm sure everybody wishes their candidate got more time, but I thought he used his time spectacularly well, looked very presidential, stayed above the fracas going on across much of the rest of the stage," Ken Cucinelli, the founder of pro-DeSantis super PAC "Never Back Down," told CBS News after the debate.
A trove of polling, memos and opposition research from Never Back Down revealed in the week before the first debate, led to some conflict between DeSantis and the outside group. And while his campaign was expecting and preparing for him to receive the brunt of the attacks from other candidates, he was largely ignored, and left Milwaukee unscathed.
In an interview on Friday with Iowa radio host Simon Conway, DeSantis said that while the debates are important, he doesn't think "most voters are making up their minds in September."
"I think that they're gonna make 'em up as we get into the new year," he adds.
DeSantis Campaign Pre-Debat... by Faris Tanyos
- In:
- Donald Trump
- Ron DeSantis
- Election
- Florida
Aaron Navarro is a digital reporter covering politics.
TwitterveryGood! (86)
Related
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Robert De Niro says Apple, Gotham Awards cut his anti-Trump speech: 'How dare they do that'
- Panama’s Supreme Court declares 20-year contract for Canadian copper mine unconstitutional
- Erdogan to visit Budapest next month as Turkey and Hungary hold up Sweden’s membership in NATO
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- 11 die in coal mine accident in China’s Heilongjiang province
- Nicholls State's football team got trounced in playoffs. The hard part was getting home
- Climate funding is in short supply. So some want to rework the financial system
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Nicholls State's football team got trounced in playoffs. The hard part was getting home
Ranking
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- The Best Montessori Toy Deals For Curious Babies & Toddlers
- Oakland baseball will not die! City announces expansion team in Pioneer Baseball League
- 11 die in coal mine accident in China’s Heilongjiang province
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Robert De Niro says Apple, Gotham Awards cut his anti-Trump speech: 'How dare they do that'
- Hurry! These Extended Cyber Monday Sales Won't Last Forever: Free People, Walmart, Wayfair, & More
- Illinois man wins $25K a year for life from lottery ticket after clerk's lucky mistake
Recommendation
Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
Ryan Phillippe Shares Rare Photo With His and Alexis Knapp’s 12-Year-Old Daughter Kai
OpenAI says Sam Altman to return as CEO just days after the board sacked him and he said he'd join Microsoft
Kenosha man gets life in prison for fatally stabbing his father, stepmother with a machete in 2021
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
The tragic cost of e-waste and new efforts to recycle
France to ban smoking on beaches as it seeks to avoid 75,000 tobacco-related deaths per year
Ohio State slips out of top five in the latest NCAA Re-Rank 1-133