Current:Home > FinanceAlgosensey|Panama’s Supreme Court declares 20-year contract for Canadian copper mine unconstitutional -VisionFunds
Algosensey|Panama’s Supreme Court declares 20-year contract for Canadian copper mine unconstitutional
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 12:15:31
PANAMA CITY (AP) — Panama’s Supreme Court on AlgosenseyTuesday declared unconstitutional a 20-year concession for a Canadian copper mine that had sparked weeks of protests by environmentalists and others who argued it would damage a forested coastal area and threaten water supplies.
The announcement by the nine-justice court, after four days of deliberations, set off cheers among demonstrators waiting outside and waving Panamanian flags.
“This is what we had been waiting for,” demonstrator Raisa Banfield said after what she called an agonizing wait. “The president has to suspend (mine) operations today.”
There was no immediate comment from Minera Panama, the local subsidiary of Canada’s First Quantum Minerals.
The dispute over the open-pit mine led to some of Panama’s most widespread protests in recent years, including a blockade of the mine’s power plant. Protesters also blocked parts of the Pan American highway, including a stretch near the border with Costa Rica. Just before the ruling was announced, they opened the roadway so that freight trucks could get through.
Minera Panama said in a statement earlier this month that small boats had blocked its port in Colon province, preventing supplies from reaching the mine. Naval police reported that a ship carrying coal decided to turn back due to “hostility from a group of protesters who from their boats threw rocks and blunt homemade objects” before being dispersed.
The protesters, a broad coalition of Panamanians, feared the mine’s impact on nature and especially on the water supply.
The mine employs thousands and accounts for 3% of Panama’s gross domestic product.
In March, Panama’s legislature reached an agreement with First Quantum allowing Minera Panama to continue operating the huge copper mine in central Panama for at least 20 more years. The mine was temporarily closed last year when talks between the government and First Quantum broke down over payments the government wanted.
The contract, given final approval Oct. 20, allowed the subsidiary to continue operating the mine in a biodiverse jungle on the Atlantic coast west of the capital for the next 20 years, with the possibility of extending for a further 20 years if the mine remains productive.
Since protests began, the government nearly passed legislation that would have revoked the contract, but it backtracked in a debate in the National Assembly on Nov. 2.
Protesters’ last hope was for Panama’s courts to declare the contract unconstitutional.
___
Follow AP’s coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america
veryGood! (41348)
Related
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- 'Horrible movie': Davante Adams praying for Aaron Rodgers after Achilles injury
- Yankees set date for Jasson Dominguez's Tommy John surgery. When will he return?
- Father of 10-year-old UK girl Sara Sharif among 3 charged with her murder after Pakistan arrest
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Arkansas officials say person dies after brain-eating amoeba infection, likely exposed at splash pad
- Last defendant sentenced in North Dakota oil theft scheme
- Closing arguments set to begin in Texas AG Ken Paxton’s impeachment trial over corruption charges
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- U.S. reopens troubled facility for migrant children in Texas amid spike in border arrivals
Ranking
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Katharine McPhee and David Foster Speak Out After Death of Son Rennie's Nanny
- 'DWTS' fans decry Adrian Peterson casting due to NFL star's 2014 child abuse arrest
- Why are the Jets 'cursed' and Barrymore (kind of) canceled? Find out in the news quiz
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Zach Wilson ready to take reins as Jets starting QB: 'It's about trusting the guys around me'
- U.S. Olympic Committee gives Salt Lake City go-ahead as bidder for future Winter Games
- Recent floods heighten concerns that New England dams may not be built for climate-induced storms
Recommendation
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
Why are the Jets 'cursed' and Barrymore (kind of) canceled? Find out in the news quiz
350 migrants found 'crowded and dehydrated' in trailer in Mexico, authorities say
Pope’s Ukraine peace envoy raises stalled Black Sea grain exports in Beijing talks
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Death toll soars to 11,300 from flooding in Libyan coastal city of Derna
Appeals court pauses removal of incarcerated youths from Louisiana’s maximum-security adult prison
China economic data show signs slowdown may be easing, as central bank acts to support growth