Current:Home > ContactVenezuela’s government and opposition agree on appeal process for candidates banned from running -VisionFunds
Venezuela’s government and opposition agree on appeal process for candidates banned from running
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 13:40:55
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Venezuela’s government and a faction of the opposition have agreed on a process through which aspiring presidential candidates who were banned from running for office can attempt to get that decision reversed. The timeline to file an appeal opened Friday.
The agreement, released late Thursday by negotiators from each side and the Norwegian diplomats guiding the dialogue, gives the candidates until Dec. 15 to challenge their ban — a tool the Venezuelan government has repeatedly used to sideline adversaries, including most recently against opposition leader and presidential candidate María Corina Machado.
The deal is part of a broader agreement signed in October between a U.S.-backed opposition group and the government of Nicolás Maduro focused on electoral conditions ahead of the 2024 presidential election. It is also expected to keep the U.S. government from re-imposing some economic sanctions on Maduro’s administration.
The October agreement triggered some sanctions relief in the oil, gas, and mining sectors. But the U.S. government, aware that Maduro has breached agreements before, threatened to reverse some of the relief if Venezuela’s government failed to establish by the end of November a timeline and process to quickly reinstate all candidates.
The agreement announced Thursday instructs interested candidates to file an appeal in person before the electoral chamber of Venezuela’s top court, which is stacked with judges who are loyal to the government and just over a month ago suspended the opposition’s primary election process.
The steps outlined in the agreement also force interested appellants into a quasi-gag order, banning them from incorporating “offensive or disrespectful concepts against the institutions of the State” in their appeal and public statements.
The document leaves open to interpretation what constitutes offensive or disrespectful comments. It also lacks a timeline for the judges to rule on the request, stating only that they would do so “in accordance with the principles of speed, efficiency and effectiveness included in the Constitution.”
“It’s just really puzzling, it’s really thin, and it’s really quite comical in many senses,” said Ryan Berg, director of the Americas Program at the Washington-based Center for Strategic and International Studies. “We’ve been demanding this process, but this is essentially tantamount to Maduro telling us when in the future he decides to make an executive decision on candidate bans.”
Despite the process’s lack of clarity, Berg said, it seems likely “that’s going to be sufficient” for the Biden administration to hold off on snapback sanctions review.
Machado, a former lawmaker and longtime government foe, won the opposition’s presidential primary with more than 90% of support. The government announced a 15-year ban against Machado days after she had formally entered the race, but she was able to participate in the election because the effort was organized by a commission that received no help from Venezuela’s electoral authorities.
Machado’s campaign on Friday declined to comment on the appeal process. Her ban alleges fraud and tax violations and accuses her of seeking the economic sanctions the U.S. imposed on Venezuela.
“On Oct. 22, people took care of the irrational attempt to block me,” she told supporters Thursday before the agreement was announced. “The only thing that matters to me is what people think. The only thing I am dedicated to ... is to build this citizen force that is going to defeat Nicolás Maduro or whoever they feel like putting against me.”
A United Nations-backed panel investigating human rights abuses in Venezuela earlier this year said Maduro’s government has intensified efforts to curtail democratic freedoms ahead of the 2024 election. That includes subjecting some politicians, human rights defenders and other opponents to detention, surveillance, threats, defamatory campaigns and arbitrary criminal proceedings.
Negotiations between Maduro’s government and the U.S.-backed opposition Unitary Platform, began in 2021 in Mexico City with the mediation of Norwegian diplomats. But the dialogue stalled at various points.
From the start, Maduro demanded that the U.S. drop economic sanctions and unfreeze Venezuelan funds held overseas. The opposition sought guarantees for the election to avoid conditions in previous votes that were widely considered to favor pro-government candidates.
____
Follow AP’s coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america
veryGood! (1316)
Related
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- German railway operator Deutsche Bahn launches effort to sell logistics unit Schenker
- West accuses Iran of illegally testing missiles, transferring drones to Russia, enriching uranium
- Ahmed Fareed to host 'Football Night in America' with Maria Taylor going on parental leave
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Over 20,000 pounds of TGI Fridays boneless chicken bites have been recalled. Here's why.
- San Francisco prosecutors begin charging 80 protesters who blocked bridge while demanding cease-fire
- Kentucky lieutenant governor undergoes ‘successful’ double mastectomy, expects to make full recovery
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Jim Ladd, icon of Los Angeles rock radio known as 'The Last DJ,' dead at 75
Ranking
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Here’s what you need to know about the deadly salmonella outbreak tied to cantaloupes
- Doctor who treated freed Hamas hostages describes physical, sexual and psychological abuse
- Arkansas sheriff stripped of duties after alleged drug cover-up, using meth with informant, feds say
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- 1 person is killed after explosion and fire at a hotel in Pennsylvania’s Amish-related tourism area
- Lionel Messi celebrates Argentina's World Cup anniversary on Instagram
- A group representing TikTok, Meta and X sues Utah over strict new limits on app use for minors
Recommendation
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Actor Jonathan Majors receives mixed verdict in criminal domestic violence trial
Purdue back at No. 1 in the USA TODAY Sports men's college basketball poll
Gérard Depardieu wax figure removed from Paris museum following allegations of sexual assault
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
What if George Bailey wasn't the hero of 'It's a Wonderful Life'? In defense of a new ending.
Turkey links Sweden’s NATO bid to US approving F-16 jet sales and Canada lifting arms embargo
North Korea test launches apparent long-range missile designed to carry nuclear warhead, hit U.S. mainland