Current:Home > ScamsBenjamin Ashford|Teen worker raped by McDonald's manager receives $4.4 million in settlement: Reports -VisionFunds
Benjamin Ashford|Teen worker raped by McDonald's manager receives $4.4 million in settlement: Reports
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 03:53:53
A McDonald's franchisee has agreed to pay a Pennsylvania girl $4.4 million to settle her lawsuit after being sexually assaulted by her manager who was a registered sex offender,Benjamin Ashford ABC News reported.
The victim started her job at the Bethel Park restaurant in October 2020 and sometime after that, Walter Garner, 41, made sexual comments and touched the victim inappropriately, according to the lawsuit . obtained by ABC News. Garner raped the victim in the restaurant's bathroom in mid-February, 2021, the records show.
“How is it that a convicted, registered sex offender is permitted to be hired to manage 14- to 17-year-old girls at a McDonald’s?” Alan Perer, the victim’s lawyer, said during a news conference Monday morning at his offices in downtown Pittsburgh. “The facts of our case are horrific.”
Texas Dairy Queen workers:Were selling meth with soft serves, police say
The victim and her parents sued McDonald’s and Rice Enterprises in September 2021, alleging that she was harassed and raped by Garner. In the lawsuit the victim claims that the defendants knew about it and that they did nothing to stop it.
Perer said Monday that it was in the best interests of the victim to settle the case because he did not want to put her through a trial.
“There is no amount of compensation to account for lost innocence and trauma,” Perer said.
Garner pleaded guilty in 2021 to statutory sexual assault, indecent assault and other charges for the McDonald's assault and received a 10-year prison sentence.
In a statement to USA TODAY Rice Enterprises says that all of their employees undergo safe and respectful workplace training upon hire, and expanded their required training to be bi-annual, In addition, the company plans to to add enhanced security measures at its restaurants.
“As soon as we were made aware of the complaint against Garner in 2021, we terminated his employment and offered our full support to the impacted employees and law enforcement investigating this case," Rice Enterprises said in the statement. "Since then, we’ve redoubled our efforts to ensure a positive and respectful experience for all employees in our restaurants, and our organization maintains a zero-tolerance policy for harassment of any kind.”
McDonald's USA commented on the incident.
“The events that took place in this case are deeply troubling. Everyone working under the Arches deserves to feel safe and respected when they come to work, and sexual harassment or violence of any kind is completely unacceptable. We're committed to providing franchisees with the resources they need to create a safe working environment in their restaurants – including training around harassment prevention as part of McDonald's Global Brand Standards.” McDonald's USA said in a statement to USA TODAY.
Victim not the only one that reported abuse
According to a report by WPIX, Perer said multiple underage girls working at the restaurant made complaints to a manager about Garner’s inappropriate touching and advances, but no disciplinary action was taken.
“They were looking at surveillance," Perer told WPIX. "They saw he was trying to grab and fondle her in the [restaurant],”
Perer said Garner wasn’t disciplined even after that and the abuse ramped up. According to the court documents, Garner followed the victim into the bathroom and raped her. He later allegedly tried to have sex with her inside the kid’s play area.
Another teen said Garner was trying to make advances toward her. When she told her mother, the school was contacted. The police department was then called and the investigation started.
“He remained there and continued his abuse and harassment until he was arrested. Then they fired him,” Perer said.
The owner of the franchise told WPIX they are fully cooperating with police.
“The allegations made in the lawsuit are deeply disturbing – my organization has no tolerance for sexual harassment, and we terminated the employee in question as soon as we learned about a complaint against him. While all of our employees undergo safe and respectful workplace training upon hire, we’ve recently expanded our training to be bi-annual, in addition to adding enhanced security measures at our restaurants. We have offered our full support to the impacted employee and are fully cooperating with the police investigation into these allegations," the statement read.
Garner, 44, had served prison time and was listed on the Megan's Law website for sexually assaulting a 10-year-old girl.
veryGood! (329)
Related
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Browns RB D'Onta Foreman sent to hospital by helicopter after training camp hit
- Woman faces life in prison for killing pregnant woman to claim her unborn child
- What is August's birthstone? There's actually three. Get to know the month's gems.
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Chrissy Teigen reveals 6-year-old son Miles has type 1 diabetes: A 'new world for us'
- Chris Evans Reveals If His Dog Dodger Played a Role in His Wedding to Alba Baptista
- PHOTO COLLECTION: At a home for India’s unwanted elders, faces of pain and resilience
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- After Olympics, Turkey’s Erdogan seeks unity with Pope Francis against acts that mock sacred values
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Wildfires encroach on homes near Denver as heat hinders fight
- Cardi B announces she's pregnant with baby No. 3 as she files for divorce from Offset
- AI might take your next Taco Bell drive-thru order as artificial intelligence expands
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Dwyane Wade's Olympic broadcasts showing he could be future of NBC hoops
- North Carolina House member back in leading committee position 3 years after removal
- Ballerina Farm blasts article as 'an attack on our family': Everything to know
Recommendation
How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
Britney Spears biopic will be made by Universal with Jon M. Chu as director
USA Women's Basketball vs. Belgium live updates: TV, time and more from Olympics
Carrie Underwood set as Katy Perry's 'American Idol' judge for Season 23
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Why do Olympic swimmers wear big parkas before racing? Warmth and personal pizzazz
ACLU sues Washington state city over its anti-homeless laws after a landmark Supreme Court ruling
2 New York City police officers shot while responding to robbery, both expected to survive