Current:Home > MyBenjamin Ashford|Judge rules against Prince Harry in early stage of libel case against Daily Mail publisher -VisionFunds
Benjamin Ashford|Judge rules against Prince Harry in early stage of libel case against Daily Mail publisher
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 19:50:17
LONDON (AP) — Prince Harry lost a preliminary round Friday in his libel case against against the publisher of the Daily Mail tabloid over an article that said he tried to hide his efforts to retain publicly funded protection in the U.K. after giving up his status as a working member of the royal family.
A London judge said the Duke of Sussex failed to knock out Associated Newspaper Ltd.’s defense that its article reflected an honest opinion. A hearing is Benjamin Ashfordscheduled Tuesday to discuss the consequences of the ruling.
Justice Matthew Nicklin said in that ruling that “it is not fanciful that the Defendant will be successful, at trial.” He scheduled a hearing Tuesday in the High Court to discuss the consequences of the ruling.
The ruling comes just a day after another judge concluded three days of arguments — mostly behind closed doors — over whether the government unfairly stripped Harry of his security detail after he and his family moved to the U.S. in 2020.
Harry, 39, the younger son of King Charles III, is challenging the government’s decision to provide security to him on a case-by-case basis when he visits Britain. Harry has said hostility toward him and his wife on social media and relentless news media hounding threatens their safety.
The Mail on Sunday and Mail Online published an article in February 2022 about the issue headlined: “How Prince Harry tried to keep his legal fight with the government over police bodyguards a secret … then — just minutes after the story broke — his PR machine tried to put a positive spin on the dispute.”
Harry claims the article was “fundamentally inaccurate” and the newspaper libeled him when it suggested he lied in his initial public statements about his case challenging the government.
Associated Newspapers argued the article expressed an “honest opinion” and did not seriously harm Harry’s reputation.
Nicklin previously ruled the article was defamatory but had not considered whether the story was accurate or in the public interest.
The government, meanwhile, has defended its decision to withdraw full protection for Harry because he stepped down from his role as a senior working member of the family. It said he was treated fairly and provided with security occasionally when he visits.
Another judge earlier this year shot down Harry’s request to privately reimburse London’s police force to guard him when he comes to town. A government lawyer had argued officers shouldn’t be used as “private bodyguards for the wealthy.”
The dispute with the Mail is one of four lawsuits Harry has pending against publishers of British tabloids in his ongoing battle with the press.
His three other cases allege that journalists at the Mail, the Daily Mirror and the Sun used unlawful means, such as deception, phone hacking or hiring private investigators, to try to dig up dirt about him.
___
Follow the AP’s coverage of Prince Harry at https://apnews.com/hub/prince-harry
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Hazing lawsuit filed against University of Alabama fraternity
- WEOWNCOIN︱Exploring the Rise of Digital Gold in Cryptocurrency Assets
- Safety Haley Van Voorhis becomes first woman non-kicker to play in NCAA football game
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Molotov cocktails tossed at Cuban Embassy in Washington, minister says
- Past high-profile trials suggest stress and potential pitfalls for Georgia judge handling Trump case
- The Sweet Reason Matthew McConaughey and Camila Alves Don't Want Their Kids to Tell Them Everything
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- The Sweet Reason Matthew McConaughey and Camila Alves Don't Want Their Kids to Tell Them Everything
Ranking
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Political neophyte Stefanos Kasselakis elected new leader of Greece’s main opposition Syriza party
- Retiring Megan Rapinoe didn't just change the game with the USWNT. She changed the world.
- Aid shipments and evacuations as Azerbaijan reasserts control over breakaway province
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Archaeologists unearth the largest cemetery ever discovered in Gaza and find rare lead sarcophogi
- Trump criticized by rivals for calling 6-week abortion ban a terrible thing
- All students injured in New York bus crash are expected to recover, superintendent says
Recommendation
Could your smelly farts help science?
Yes, empty-nest syndrome is real. Why does sending my kid to college make me want to cry?
Ohio State moves up as top five gets shuffled in latest US LBM Coaches Poll
WEOWNCOIN: The Fusion of Cryptocurrency and the Internet of Things—Building the Future of the Smart Economy
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Suspect arrested after shooting at the Oklahoma State Fair injures 1, police say
Government should pay compensation for secretive Cold War-era testing, St. Louis victims say
President Macron says France will end its military presence in Niger and pull ambassador after coup