Current:Home > ScamsDefendant in Michigan fake elector case seeks dismissal of charges over attorney general’s comments -VisionFunds
Defendant in Michigan fake elector case seeks dismissal of charges over attorney general’s comments
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 12:30:40
LANSING, Mich. (AP) — One of 16 Michigan Republicans accused of taking part in a fake elector scheme filed a motion Tuesday asking a judge to dismiss charges after the state attorney general said the group had been “brainwashed” and truly believed that former President Donald Trump won the 2020 election.
All 16 are facing eight criminal charges, including forgery and conspiracy to commit election forgery, that were first announced in July by state Attorney General Dana Nessel. Investigators allege that they met following the 2020 election and signed a document falsely stating they were Michigan’s “duly elected and qualified electors.”
President Joe Biden won the state by nearly 155,000 votes, a result that was confirmed by a GOP-led state Senate investigation in 2021. Michigan is one of seven states where false Electoral College certificates were submitted declaring Trump the winner, despite confirmed results showing he had lost.
On Sept. 18, Nessel, a Democrat, told a liberal group during a virtual event that the false electors had been “brainwashed” and “genuinely” believed Trump won in Michigan’.
“They legit believe that,” Nessel said, according to the video first reported by The Detroit News.
Nessel also said that Ingham County, where the cases will be tried, “is a very, very Democratic-leaning county.”
An attorney for one of the accused fake electors, Mari-Ann Henry, 65, said those comments “nullify the government’s entire case” and the charges should be thrown out.
George MacAvoy Brown, an attorney for Henry, said in a statement that the charges require proof that Henry “intended to cheat or deceive someone” and that Nessel’s comments show that wasn’t the case.
The motion for dismissal was filed in Ingham County District Court.
Danny Wimmer, a spokesperson for Nessel’s office, said in response to a request for comment that the office “will respond to the motion in our filings with the Court.”
Attorneys for others charged in the case have also been critical of Nessel’s comments. Nick Somberg, who represents former Michigan GOP co-chair Meshawn Maddock, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that they prove the charges hold “no merit” and that this is a “political case.”
In a separate court filing obtained by AP, another defendant, Amy Facchinello, claims that the charges stem from conduct that came “at the direction” of then-President Trump and other federal officers.
All 16 of the defendants have pleaded not guilty. Henry and several others, including Maddock and Kathy Berden, Michigan’s Republican national committeewoman, are scheduled to appear for a preliminary examination hearing on Oct. 12.
veryGood! (47448)
Related
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- A state’s experience with grocery chain mergers spurs a fight to stop Albertsons’ deal with Kroger
- Powerball winning numbers for September 14: Jackpot climbs to $152 million
- Rumer Willis Kisses Mystery Man After Derek Richard Thomas Breakup
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- TikTokers Matt Howard and Abby Howard Slammed For Leaving Toddlers Alone in Cruise Ship Cabin
- Man suspected in apparent assassination attempt on Trump charged with federal gun crimes
- TikTokers Matt Howard and Abby Howard Break Silence on Backlash Over Leaving Kids in Cruise Room
- Small twin
- Jane's Addiction cancels rest of tour after Perry Farrell, Dave Navarro fight
Ranking
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Vote South Dakota forum aims to shed light on ‘complicated’ election
- A rough Sunday for some of the NFL’s best teams in 2023 led to the three biggest upsets: Analysis
- Tropical storm conditions expected for parts of the Carolinas as disturbance approaches coast
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Research shows most people should take Social Security at 70: Why you may not want to wait
- Ohio town cancels cultural festival after furor over Haitians
- Isiah Pacheco injury update: Chiefs RB leaves stadium on crutches after hurting ankle
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Jane's Addiction cancels rest of tour after Perry Farrell, Dave Navarro fight
How Sister Wives Addressed Garrison Brown’s Death in Season Premiere
'Shogun' rules Emmys; Who is Anna Sawai? Where have we seen Hiroyuki Sanada before?
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
Former Uvalde schools police chief makes first court appearance since indictment
NFL schedule today: What to know about Falcons at Eagles on Monday Night Football
You need to start paying your student debt. No, really.