Current:Home > MarketsSignalHub-After trying to buck trend, newspaper founded with Ralph Nader’s succumbs to financial woes -VisionFunds
SignalHub-After trying to buck trend, newspaper founded with Ralph Nader’s succumbs to financial woes
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 11:55:15
HARTFORD,SignalHub Conn. (AP) — After trying to buck a national trend of media closures and downsizing, a small Connecticut newspaper founded earlier this year with Ralph Nader’s help has succumbed to financial problems and will be shutting down.
An oversight board voted Monday to close the Winsted Citizen, a broadsheet that served Nader’s hometown and surrounding area in the northwestern hills of the state since February.
Andy Thibault, a veteran journalist who led the paper as editor and publisher, announced the closure in a memo to staff.
“We beat the Grim Reaper every month for most of the year,” Thibault wrote. ”Our best month financially resulted in our lowest deficit. Now, our quest regrettably has become the impossible dream. It sure was great — despite numerous stumbles, obstacles and heartaches — while it lasted.”
Nader, 89, the noted consumer advocate and four-time presidential candidate, did not answer the phone at his Winsted home Monday morning.
The Citizen’s fate is similar to those of other newspapers that have been dying at an alarming rate because of declining ad and circulation revenue. The U.S. has lost nearly 2,900 newspapers since 2005, including more than 130 confirmed closings or mergers over the past year, according to a report released this month by the Northwestern/Medill Local News Initiative.
By the end of next year, it is expected that about a third of U.S. newspapers will have closed since 2005, the report said.
In an interview with The Associated Press in February, Nader lamented the losses of the long-gone Winsted daily paper he delivered while growing up and a modern successor paper that stopped publishing in 2017.
“After awhile it all congeals and you start losing history,” he said. “Every year you don’t have a newspaper, you lose that connection.”
Nader had hoped the Citizen would become a model for the country, saying people were tired of reading news online and missed the feel of holding a newspaper to read about their town. He invested $15,000 to help it start up, and the plan was to have advertising, donations and subscriptions sustain monthly editions.
The paper published nine editions and listed 17 reporters on its early mastheads. It’s motto: “It’s your paper. We work for you.”
In his memo to staff, Thibault said the Citizen managed to increase ad revenue and circulation but could not overcome an “untenable deficit.”
“Many staff members became donors of services rather than wage earners,” he wrote, “This was the result of under-capitalization.”
The money problems appeared to have started early. Funding for the second edition fell through and the Citizen formed a partnership with the online news provider ctexaminer.com, which posted Citizen stories while the paper shared CT Examiner articles, Thibault said.
Thibault said CT Examiner has agreed to consider publishing work by former Citizen staffers.
The Citizen was overseen by the nonprofit Connecticut News Consortium, whose board voted to close it Monday.
veryGood! (4217)
Related
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Maya Moore has jersey number retired by Minnesota Lynx in emotional ceremony
- Joey Lawrence's Wife Samantha Cope Breaks Silence Amid Divorce
- America's newest monuments unveil a different look at the nation's past
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Dr. Anthony Fauci recovering after hospitalization from West Nile virus
- ‘Deadpool’ and ‘Alien’ top charts again as ‘Blink Twice’ sees quiet opening
- Blake Lively Celebrates Birthday With Taylor Swift and More Stars at Singer's Home
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- T-Boz of TLC says she's 'on the mend' following medical scare that left shows canceled
Ranking
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- DeSantis’ plan to develop state parks faces setback as golf course backer pulls out
- First criminal trial arising from New Hampshire youth detention center abuse scandal starts
- 9-month-old dies after grandmother left infant in hot car for hours in Texas, police say
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- Kate Middleton Makes Rare Appearance With Royal Family to Attend Church Service
- In boosting clean energy in Minnesota, Walz lays foundation for climate influence if Harris wins
- ‘We were expendable': Downwinders from world’s 1st atomic test are on a mission to tell their story
Recommendation
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
Hone swirls past Hawaii’s main islands after dumping enough rain to ease wildfire fears
Baltimore man accused of killing tech CEO pleads guilty to attempted murder in separate case
'We dodged a bullet': Jim Harbaugh shares more details about Chargers elevator rescue
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Kelly Ripa Reacts to Daughter Lola Consuelos Posting “Demure” Topless Photo
Florida State's flop and Georgia Tech's big win lead college football Week 0 winners and losers
Bye bye, bacon egg burritos: Some Taco Bells will stop serving breakfast