Current:Home > FinanceWill Messi, Ronaldo meet again? Inter Miami denies scheduling match with Al-Nassr -VisionFunds
Will Messi, Ronaldo meet again? Inter Miami denies scheduling match with Al-Nassr
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 21:17:59
Correction/clarification: A previous version of this story incorrectly reported the status of a proposed Inter Miami match against Al-Nassr.
News Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo could take the pitch together next year was met with worldwide excitement, but Inter Miami has refuted a Tuesday announcement it will play in Saudi Arabia.
"Earlier today, an announcement was issued stating that Inter Miami CF is scheduled to play in the Riyadh Season Cup. This is inaccurate. The release included statements attributed to team owner Jorge Mas. Mas has made no comments, publicly or privately, in relation to the preseason tour," Inter Miami's statement said. "Since day one, Inter Miami CF has set out to be a global brand. To this end, we have been in conversations to determine our 2024 preseason schedule.
"We look forward to showcasing our players on Inter Miami CF’s first international tour, which will be announced in the coming weeks."
The Messi and Ronaldo matchup would have given fans around the world perhaps one last chance to debate who is the greatest soccer player in the world.
The statement released earlier Tuesday by Saudi sports and entertainment official Turki Al-Sheikh said Inter Miami would play Al-Nassr, Ronaldo's Saudi-based club, in a 'last dance' as part of the Riyadh Season Cup at Kingdom Arena in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
Messi, 36, and Ronaldo, 38, have 13 Ballon d’Or awards between them, with Messi recently winning his eighth award, the most of any player. Ronaldo is next in line with five Ballon d’Ors. And a matchup between them at this stage of their career would only feed into the never-ending debate among soccer fans as which player is the greatest.
The last time Messi and Ronaldo met was earlier this year, when Messi and Paris Saint-Germain edged Ronaldo and a team of Saudi all-stars 5-4. Both Messi and Ronaldo scored during the affair.
Saudi Arabia and concerns about sportswashing
Massive sports stars participating in Saudi-backed events and leagues is nothing new, and has raised concerns in recent years about sportswashing — using major sporting events and global superstars to erase a poor public image due to a long history of human rights violations.
The Saudis have been gaining a foothold in various sports. In soccer, the Saudi Pro League lured Ronaldo, Neymar and others with massive contracts clubs around the world could not match. Messi also received an offer reportedly close to $400 million per year from Al-Hilal before opting to join Inter Miami. Saudis also own the Premier League's Newcastle United FC.
FIFA came under fire earlier this year for considering the Saudi tourist bureau as a sponsor for the 2023 World Cup. It also ensured there would be little to no competition for the Saudi bid for the 2034 World Cup.
The Saudi-funded LIV golf tour made waves when it launched in 2021 and lured away major PGA Tour stars and caused strife in the golf world. It was so successful in its goal, the PGA Tour agreed to a merger earlier this year, though it has yet to be finalized.
Saudi Arabia has also invested in F1, major boxing matches such as Jake Paul vs. Tommy Fury, and is heavily involved in horse racing. The NBA has also hosted games in Abu Dhabi.
USA TODAY Sports senior editor Alicia DelGallo and columnist Nancy Armour contributed to this report.
veryGood! (452)
Related
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Alabama's Nate Oats called coaching luminaries in search of advice for struggling team
- I'm a trans man. We don't have a secret agenda – we're just asking you to let us live.
- Phoenix gets measurable rainfall on Easter Sunday for the first time in 25 years.
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- NC State men’s, women’s basketball join list of both teams making Final Four in same year
- What is meningococcal disease? Symptoms to know as CDC warns of spike in bacterial infection
- 'One last surge': Disruptive rainstorm soaks Southern California before onset of dry season
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Plan to watch the April 2024 total solar eclipse? Scientists need your help.
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- UFL Week 1 winners and losers: USFL gets bragging rights, Thicc-Six highlights weekend
- Horoscopes Today, March 29, 2024
- Powerball jackpot grows to $975 million after no winner in March 30 drawing
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Not just football: Alabama puts itself on the 'big stage' with Final Four appearance
- How to watch Iowa vs LSU Monday: Time, TV for Women's NCAA Tournament Elite 8 game
- California set to hike wages for fast-food workers to industry-leading $20 per hour
Recommendation
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
King Charles attends Easter service, Princess Kate absent after their cancer diagnoses
What U.S. consumers should know about the health supplement linked to 5 deaths in Japan
You Won't Hate These 10 Things I Hate About You Secrets Even a Little Bit—Or Even At All
Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
Inside Paris Hilton, Victoria Beckham and More Stars' Easter 2024 Celebrations
Transgender athletes face growing hostility: four tell their stories in their own words
Easter weekend storm hits Southern California with rain and mountain snow