Current:Home > ContactPrince Harry in U.K. High Court battle over downgraded security on visits to Britain -VisionFunds
Prince Harry in U.K. High Court battle over downgraded security on visits to Britain
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 16:11:48
London — Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex, is challenging the U.K. government's decision to provide him with less police protection when he comes back for visits. The government decided to deny the duke the highest level of state-funded protection after he and his wife Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, stepped down as senior working members of the royal family in 2021. He lost an appeal earlier this year in which he sought permission to pay for the police protection independently.
Harry's lawyers argued in front of Britain's High Court that RAVEC, the committee that makes security decisions regarding the royals on behalf of Britain's Home Office, "should have considered the 'impact' that a successful attack on [Harry] would have, bearing in mind his status, background, and profile within The Royal Family — which he was born into and which he will have for the rest of his life - and his ongoing charity work and service to the public."
The committee should also have "considered, in particular, the impact on the UK's reputation of a successful attack on [Harry]," the duke's legal team said in written arguments presented Tuesday.
The prince's lawyers argued that if RAVEC had followed its own policies, it would have provided Harry with more robust security, in line with the security it provides some other VIPs.
A lawyer for the Home Office said the "bespoke" way in which Prince Harry's case was handled was appropriate and "reflected the very particular combination of circumstances in his case," according to The Guardian newspaper.
"It is judged to be right in principle that the allocation of finite public resources which results from protective security provided by the state be allocated to individuals who are acting in the interests of the state through their public role," the Home Office lawyer said.
Harry, whose mother Princess Diana was killed in a Paris car crash as her vehicle was chased by paparazzi, has a long-standing distrust of the media. He's argued that threats and hatred aimed at he and Meghan are evidence of their need for high-level police protection during visits to Britain.
The case was expected to wrap up by Thursday.
- In:
- British Royal Family
- Prince Harry Duke of Sussex
- King Charles
- Meghan Duchess of Sussex
- United Kingdom
Haley Ott is cbsnews.com's foreign reporter, based in the CBS News London bureau. Haley joined the cbsnews.com team in 2018, prior to which she worked for outlets including Al Jazeera, Monocle, and Vice News.
Twitter InstagramveryGood! (646)
Related
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Move over 'LOL,' there's a new way to laugh online. What does 'ijbol' mean?
- Stock market today: Asian shares are mostly higher ahead of US inflation data and a US-China summit
- Jana Kramer Gives Birth to Baby No. 3, First With Fiancé Allan Russell
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Jill Biden will lead new initiative to boost federal government research into women’s health
- The SAG-AFTRA strike is over. Here are 6 things actors got in the new contract.
- Study: Are millennials worse off than baby boomers were at the same age?
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Study: Are millennials worse off than baby boomers were at the same age?
Ranking
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- A missing sailor’s last message from Hurricane Otis was to ask his family to pray for him
- Donald Trump hung up on Kim Kardashian as she sought his endorsement for clemency plea, book says
- Why Fans Think Kate Beckinsale Dressed as Titanic Diamond for Leonardo DiCaprio's Birthday Party
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- University of Minnesota issues safety alert after man kidnapped, robbed at gunpoint
- Proposal would keep Pennsylvania students enrolled amid district residency disputes
- 6 dead after semi crashes into bus carrying students on Ohio highway
Recommendation
Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
Biden's limit on drug industry middlemen backfires, pharmacists say
Study: Are millennials worse off than baby boomers were at the same age?
Lt. Gen. Richard Clark brings leadership, diplomacy skills to CFP as it expands, evolves
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
Ford opens exclusive Bronco Off-Roadeo courses to non-owners for first time
Congressional delegations back bill that would return land to Winnebago Tribe of Nebraska
U.S. airstrikes on Iran-backed targets in Syria kill at least 8 fighters, war monitor says