Current:Home > ScamsFinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Top US envoy will return to Israel after stops in Arab nations aimed at avoiding a broader conflict -VisionFunds
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center|Top US envoy will return to Israel after stops in Arab nations aimed at avoiding a broader conflict
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 02:29:29
CAIRO (AP) — U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken will return to Israel this week after completing a frantic six-country rush through Arab nations aimed at preventing the Israel-Hamas war from igniting a broader regional conflict.
The FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank CenterU.S. State Department announced Blinken’s plan to travel Monday to Israel — his second visit in five days — as America’s top diplomat arrived in Cairo for talks Sunday with Egypt’s president, Abdel Fattah al-Sisi. It was the last of Blinken’s meetings with Arab leaders amid increasing fears that an impending Israeli ground offensive into Gaza could spark a wider war with devastating humanitarian consequences.
Department spokesman Matthew Miller told reporters traveling with Blinken that the secretary was returning to Tel Aviv “for further consultations with Israeli officials.” Miller did not elaborate.
Before landing in Egypt, Blinken met on Sunday morning with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in Riyadh. That meeting followed talks over the previous three days with the leaders of the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Qatar, Jordan and the Palestinian Authority.
Blinken began the whirlwind trip on Thursday in Israel, pledging support and solidarity for the country as it responds to last week’s Hamas surprise attacks. Blinken also spoke by phone with Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi to seek Beijing’s support in discouraging others from getting involved.
Yet as plans for Israel’s military action to eradicate Hamas have taken shape with heavy airstrikes and warnings for more than a million Palestinians to evacuate the northern Gaza Strip, concerns for a broader conflict have intensified. In his talks with Arab leaders Blinken has stressed the importance of not allowing that to happen.
Underscoring the American fears, the U.S. military has positioned an aircraft carrier battle group in the Eastern Mediterranean and on Saturday announced the deployment of a second one. The naval presence is intended to serve as a deterrent to other countries and groups, like Iran and Syria and Lebanon’s Hezbollah, not to enter the conflict.
Also Saturday, as the Israeli military said its assault against Hamas targets in Gaza would begin very soon, President Joe Biden spoke by phone with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.
U.S. officials have said the Arab reaction to Blinken’s message has been generally positive — acknowledging Israel has a right to respond to the Hamas attacks but expressing deep concern about the humanitarian situation in Gaza and unable to stay silent about the Palestinian civilian casualties that result. The Arab leaders have also said the current situation cannot be resolved without an Israeli-Palestinian peace deal that gives the Palestinians an independent state.
In his roughly hourlong meeting with Prince Mohammed at the de facto Saudi leader’s private farm outside Riyadh, Blinken “highlighted the United States’ unwavering focus on halting terrorist attacks by Hamas, securing the release of all hostages, and preventing the conflict from spreading,” the State Department said.
“The two affirmed their shared commitment to protecting civilians and to advancing stability across the Middle East and beyond,” according to a department statement.
The Saudi description of the meeting focused primarily on Palestinian civilians, echoing the sentiments that the other Arab leaders with whom Blinken has met. It said Saudi Arabia would object to the targeting of “civilians in any way or disrupt(ing) infrastructure and vital interests that affect their daily lives.”
The prince “stressed the need to work to discuss ways to stop the military operations that claimed the lives of innocent people,“ the Saudi Press Agency said in a report about the meeting.
Prince Mohammed also made clear the Saudi emphasis on the need to “stop the current escalation, respect international humanitarian law, including lifting the siege on Gaza, and work to create conditions for the return of stability,” it said.
Before the Hamas attacks in Israel last Saturday, Blinken had planned to visit Israel and Saudi Arabia this coming week to discuss what had been ongoing negotiations for an agreement to normalize relations between the two countries. After the attacks, Blinken changed his plans so he could get to Israel quickly to show solidarity. The normalization talks are now on hold, a result that U.S. and other officials believe was a main goal of Hamas and its prime sponsor, Iran.
Neither the U.S. nor Saudi statements mentioned the matter.
veryGood! (8155)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Tropical storm warnings issued on East Coast: What to expect
- Joe Jonas Breaks Silence on Sophie Turner's Misleading Lawsuit Over Their 2 Kids
- A British ex-soldier pleads not guilty to escaping from a London prison
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Fox founder Rupert Murdoch steps down from global media empire
- What's up with the internet's obsession over the Roman Empire? The TikTok trend explained
- Man thought he was being scammed after winning $4 million from Michigan Lottery scratch-off game
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- US contractor originally from Ethiopia arrested on espionage charges, Justice Department says
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- A leader of Cambodia’s main opposition party jailed for 18 months for bouncing checks
- DeSantis unveils energy plan in Texas, aims to lower price of gas to $2 per gallon
- Man thought he was being scammed after winning $4 million from Michigan Lottery scratch-off game
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- 96-year-old federal judge suspended from hearing cases after concerns about her fitness
- Haiti’s government to oversee canal project that prompted Dominican Republic to close all borders
- Hunter Biden ordered to appear in-person at arraignment on Oct. 3
Recommendation
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
Chicago’s top officer says a White Sox game where 2 were shot should have been stopped or delayed
Kapalua to host PGA Tour opener in January, 5 months after deadly wildfires on Maui
9 deputies charged in jail death: Inmate in mental health crisis 'brutalized,' lawyer says
The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
Alex Murdaugh pleads guilty to 22 federal charges for financial fraud and money laundering
Banned New Zealand Olympic runner arrested in Kenya over sexual assault and weapon allegations
Tropical storm warnings issued on East Coast: What to expect