Current:Home > MarketsAustralia cannot strip citizenship from man over his terrorism convictions, top court says -VisionFunds
Australia cannot strip citizenship from man over his terrorism convictions, top court says
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 18:31:11
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Australia’s highest court on Wednesday overturned a government decision to strip citizenship from a man convicted of terrorism.
The ruling is a second blow in the High Court to the law introduced almost a decade ago that allows a government minister to strip dual nationals of their Australian citizenship on extremism-related grounds.
The ruling also prevents the government from deporting Algerian-born cleric Abdul Benbrika when he is released from prison, which is expected within weeks.
The High Court judges ruled 6-1 that the law that gave the home affairs minister power to strip citizenship in such instances was unconstitutional. The majority found that the minister was effectively exercising a judicial function of punishing criminal guilt.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said his government would examine the ruling in regards to the law passed by the previous government.
Constitutional lawyer George Williams said he was not surprised by the result.
“It’s a fundamental breach of the separation of powers in Australia which says that judging guilty and determining punishment should be by courts and not by people in Parliament,” Williams said.
Williams said he understood that Benbrika was the only person to lose citizenship under a particular clause of the law relating to convictions of terrorism-related offenses that are punished by more than three years in prison. Therefore the precedent did not effect any other person who had lost citizenship rights.
The High Court last year struck down a separate clause of the law that allowed a dual national imprisoned in Syria to lose his citizenship on suspicion that he had been an Islamic State group fighter.
In 2020, Benbrika became the first extremist, proven or alleged, to lose citizenship rights while still in Australia. The government has not disclosed how many there have been.
Benbrika was convicted in 2008 of three terrorism charges related to a plot to cause mass casualties at a public event in Melbourne. No attack took place.
He was sentenced to 15 years in prison and would have been released in 2020. But his sentence was extended by three years under a recent law that allowed the continued detention of prisoners convicted or terrorism offenses who a judge ruled posed an unacceptable risk to the community if released.
In 2021, he lost a High Court challenge to his continued detention in a 5-2 split decision.
He will be subjected to a court-imposed supervision order that can allow close scrutiny of his communications, associates and movements when he is released before the end of the year.
veryGood! (3933)
Related
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- SAG-AFTRA is worried about AI, but can it really replace actors? It already has.
- 'She killed all of us': South Carolina woman accused of killing newlywed is denied bond
- Remi Lucidi, daredevil who climbed towers around the world, reportedly falls to his death from Hong Kong high-rise
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Prepare to flick off your incandescent bulbs for good under new US rules that kicked in this week
- Incandescent light bulb ban takes effect in environment-saving switch to LEDs
- Read the Trump indictment text charging him with 4 counts related to the 2020 election and Jan. 6
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- The hottest July: Inside Phoenix's brutal 31 days of 110-degree heat
Ranking
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Extremely agitated bear charges multiple people, is killed by Alaska police
- Trump indicted by grand jury in special counsel Jack Smith's Jan. 6 investigation
- Driver accused of gross negligence in crash that killed actor Treat Williams
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Why Jessica Chastain & Oscar Isaac's Friendship Hasn't Been the Same Since Scenes From a Marriage
- 29 inches of rain from Saturday to Wednesday was Beijing’s heaviest rainfall in 140 years
- Some of Niger’s neighbors defend the coup there, even hinting at war. It’s a warning for Africa
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
'I'm sorry, God! ... Why didn't you stop it?': School shooter breaks down in jail
Angus Cloud's Rumored Girlfriend Sydney Martin Says Her Heart Is So Broken After His Death
Wisconsin lawsuit asks new liberal-controlled Supreme Court to toss Republican-drawn maps
Average rate on 30
Carli Lloyd blasts USWNT again, calls play 'uninspiring, disappointing' vs. Portugal
Fitch downgrades US credit rating, citing mounting debt and political divisions
X marks the lawsuit: Elon Musk’s social media company sues nonprofit highlighting site’s hate speech