Current:Home > MarketsPrince William Shares First Social Media Message Weeks After Kate Middleton’s Health Update -VisionFunds
Prince William Shares First Social Media Message Weeks After Kate Middleton’s Health Update
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 19:50:20
Prince William has returned to social media for a special purpose.
For the first time since Kate Middleton shared she'd been diagnosed with cancer on March 22, William has shared his first social media message in order to honor English footballer Rachel Daly, who is retiring from the women's national team after eight years.
The 41-year-old reshared the Aston Villa player's message to his April 10 Instagram Story, writing, "Thank you for so many unforgettable performances with @lionesses, @racheldaly3."
He added "Plenty more goals for Villa now," before signing off with a simple "W."
William's message marks the first post on the Prince and Princes of Wales' joint Instagram account since Kate's video updating the world on her health journey three and a half weeks prior. In the video, the 42-year-old shared she'd been diagnosed with an unnamed form of cancer after undergoing abdominal surgery in January, and that she'd begun preventative chemotherapy.
"This of course came as a huge shock, and William and I have been doing everything we can to process and manage this privately for the sake of our young family," Kate—who shares Prince George, 10, Princess Charlotte, 8, and Prince Louis, 5, with William—said in the video. "As you can imagine, this has taken time."
The Princess—whose absence from the public eye prior to her update garnered much speculation as to her wellbeing—noted that her children were part of the reason the Palace abstained from updating the public in the months following her diagnosis.
"It has taken me time to recover from major surgery in order to start my treatment," she explained. "But, most importantly, it has taken us time to explain everything to George, Charlotte and Louis in a way that is appropriate for them, and to reassure them that I am going to be ok."
And though William hasn't spoken personally about her health, Kate noted in her video statement how much his support has meant—as well as that of the world's.
"Having William by my side is a great source of comfort and reassurance too," she noted. "As is the love, support and kindness that has been shown by so many of you. It means so much to us both."
Since then, there have been no further updates on Kate's health, however Queen Camilla spoke to her feelings after sharing the news publicly.
During a visit to Shrewsbury Farmers' Market in Shropshire March 27, the 76-year-old was presented with cards for Kate by two young girls. Camilla said in response, "I know Kate is thrilled by all the kind wishes and support."
For more news from royal families around the world in 2024, keep reading.
The queen consort attended the Royal Maundy Service on March 28 in place of King Charles III, making her the first spouse of the Monarch to continue the ancient tradition.
In a March 22 video message, the Princess of Wales shared that she'd been diagnosed with cancer after undergoing abdominal surgery in January.
"It was thought that my condition was non-cancerous. The surgery was successful," she said before noting that tests after the operation found cancer had been present. "My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy and I am now in the early stages of that treatment."
After photo agencies pulled the picture Kensington Palace shared of Kate since having her abdominal surgery on March 10, the Princess of Wales addressed claims the photo was doctored.
"Like many amateur photographers, I do occasionally experiment with editing," she tweeted on March 11. "I wanted to express my apologies for any confusion the family photograph we shared yesterday caused. I hope everyone celebrating had a very happy Mother's Day. C."
Princess Diana's niece celebrated Mother's Day in the U.K. by sharing she and her husband Michael Lewis privately welcomed their first baby.
“It’s the joy of my life to be your mummy, little one. I love you unconditionally," she captioned her March 10 Instagram post. "Happy Mother’s Day to those who celebrate today."
After keeping up her full slate of engagements in the wake of her husband's cancer diagnosis, the palace cleared Camilla's schedule.
The Times pointed out March 2 that the 76-year-old didn't have any engagements on her calendar until March 11, when she'd be due at Westminster Abbey to observe Commonwealth Day.
The husband of Lady Gabriella Windsor and ex-boyfriend of Pippa Middleton, was found dead Feb. 25. Days later, a coroner's inquest found that he died by suicide.
While King Charles III was in the hospital for his benign prostate enlargement procedure, the royal family member was diagnosed with cancer.
"His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties," Buckingham Palace said Feb. 5. "Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual.The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible."
The Duchess of York's rep said in a statement on Jan. 21 that Sarah was recently diagnosed with malignant melanoma, an aggressive form of skin cancer. Several months prior, she underwent a single mastectomy to treat breast cancer.
On Jan. 14, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark made history as she officially abdicated the throne, handing the crown over to her son, now known as King Frederik the 10th.
Kensington Palace announced on Jan. 17 that Kate Middleton underwent planned abdominal surgery and was set to remain in the hospital for 10 to 14 days.
"Based on the current medical advice," the Palace said, "she is unlikely to return to public duties until after Easter."
Amid Kate's recovery, Prince William postponed a number of engagements as he supported his family, including the couple's three children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.
Shortly after Kate's hospitalization was made public, Buckingham Palace shared that Charles "has sought treatment for an enlarged prostate."
"His Majesty's condition is benign and he will attend hospital next week for a corrective procedure," the statement added. "The King’s public engagements will be postponed for a short period of recuperation."
Princess Claire and Prince Felix of Luxembourg welcomed son Balthazar Felix Karl on Jan. 7, the first royal baby of the New Year!
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (41277)
Related
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Kia recalls 145,000 Sorentos due to rear-view camera problem
- Have spicy food challenges become too extreme?
- NY Mets hiring David Stearns as organization's first-ever president of baseball operations
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Truck loses wheel, bounces into oncoming I-70 traffic, strikes car window and kills woman
- Actor Gary Sinise says there's still tremendous need to support veterans who served after 9/11 attacks
- Jared Leto Reveals This Is the Secret to His Never-Aging Appearance
- Trump's 'stop
- MGM Resorts properties in US shut down computer systems after cyber attack
Ranking
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- A Russian passenger jet with a hydraulics problem makes a safe emergency landing in an open field
- Missouri clinic halts transgender care for minors in wake of new state law
- Sophie Turner Spotted for the First Time Since Joe Jonas Divorce Announcement
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Why Jason Kelce Says Brother Travis Kelce Is the Perfect Uncle
- Lawsuit accuses Beverly Hills police of racially profiling Black motorists
- Student loan forgiveness scams are surging: Full discharge of all your federal student loans
Recommendation
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Former Florida football coach Dan Mullen picks Tennesee to beat Gators in Gainesville
Jets QB Aaron Rodgers to miss rest of NFL season with torn Achilles, per multiple reports
Jamie Lynn Spears joins 'Dancing With the Stars': 'I can't wait to show you my moves'
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
Virginia candidate who livestreamed sex videos draws support from women, Democratic leader
How Bad Bunny Really Feels About Backlash From Fans Over Kendall Jenner Romance
Rep. Barbara Lee says California Gov. Gavin Newsom's plan for Senate seat is insulting