Current:Home > MarketsNovaQuant-An elaborate apple scam: Brothers who conned company for over $6M sentenced to prison -VisionFunds
NovaQuant-An elaborate apple scam: Brothers who conned company for over $6M sentenced to prison
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 01:43:19
A federal judge in California this week sentenced two brothers to 41 months in prison each after the pair admitted they scammed Apple out of more than $6 million in an eight-year-old iPhone and NovaQuantiPad international conspiracy scheme, court records show.
Zhiting Liao, 33, and Zhimin Liao, 36, both from San Diego, pleaded guilty on June 2 to conspiracy to traffic in counterfeit goods for trafficking fraudulently obtained iPhones and iPads, according to a news release from the U.S. Attorney's Office, Southern District of California.
Online records show Judge Cynthia Bashant sentenced the brothers on Monday.
How to turn off an Apple Watch?Troubleshoot your device by restarting if all else fails.
'Thousands of counterfeit Apple products'
The men and a third brother − identified in court papers as 34-year-old Zhiwei Liao − were indicted in October 2019. Online records show Zhiwei Liao also pleaded guilty in connection to the case in June. He's slated to be sentenced on Oct. 30.
“For years, the Liao brothers and their co-conspirators trafficked thousands of counterfeit Apple products in exchange for genuine Apple products totaling millions of dollars,” FBI Special Agent in Charge Stacey Moy said in the release.
The brother wives, 32-year-old Dao La; 31-year-old Mengmeng Zhang; and 39-year-old Tam Nguyen, also pleaded guilty in June to charges of wire fraud and mail fraud in the case, Kelly Thornton, a spokesperson for the office said Thursday.
All three wives were sentenced to three years in prison, court documents show.
Emoji action:Emoji reactions now available in Gmail for Android users
The plea deal
Under a plea deal, the brothers and their wives agreed to forfeit five San Diego homes, more than $250,000 of profit from the scam and more than 200 Apple iPhones, prosecutors said. The phones, the release continues, were counterfeit, fraudulently obtained or linked to the group's criminal conspiracy.
According to prosecutors, the group ran an organization to traffic counterfeit Apple products from 2011 through "at least" August 2019.
"The Lioas imported counterfeit iPhones and iPads from China that looked genuine and included identification numbers that matched identification numbers on real iPhones and iPads that were under warranty and had been previously sold to customers in the United States and Canada," prosecutors said in the release.
At the direction of the Liao brothers, prosecutors wrote, co-conspirators (who also pleaded guilty and received various prison times in the case) traveled to hundreds of Apple Stores across the U.S. and Canada and attempted to exchange more than 10,000 counterfeit iPhones and iPads for genuine iPhones and iPads.
"The Liaos exported fraudulently obtained iPhones and iPads to individuals in foreign countries for profit. The estimated total infringement amount or loss suffered by Apple was approximately $6.1 million," the release states.
Natalie Neysa Alund is a senior reporter for USA TODAY. Reach her at [email protected] and follow her on X @nataliealund.
veryGood! (13)
Related
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Blake Lively Reveals Thoughtful Gift Ryan Reynolds Gave Her Every Week at Start of Romance
- Charges: D'Vontaye Mitchell died after being held down for about 9 minutes
- Tropical weather brings record rainfall. Experts share how to stay safe in floods.
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Olympic men's basketball bracket: Results of the 5x5 tournament
- Harris and Walz are showing their support for organized labor with appearance at Detroit union hall
- Jackie Young adds surprising lift as US women's basketball tops Nigeria to reach Olympic semifinals
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Blake Lively receives backlash for controversial September issue cover of Vogue
Ranking
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Amid intense debate, NY county passes mask ban to address antisemitic attacks
- The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
- Colin Farrell Details Son James' Battle With Rare Neurogenetic Disorder
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Simone Biles, an athlete in a sleeping bag and an important lesson from the Olympics
- Daughter of Utah death row inmate navigates complicated dance of grief and healing before execution
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
Recommendation
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Olympic track star Andre De Grasse distracted by abuse allegations against his coach
US auto safety agency seeks information from Tesla on fatal Cybertruck crash and fire in Texas
July ends 13-month streak of global heat records as El Nino ebbs, but experts warn against relief
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
NCAA President Charlie Baker would be 'shocked' if women's tournament revenue units isn't passed
Blake Lively receives backlash for controversial September issue cover of Vogue
Carolinas bracing for second landfall from Tropical Storm Debby: Live updates