Current:Home > MyJury deliberates in first criminal trial linked to New Hampshire youth center abuse -VisionFunds
Jury deliberates in first criminal trial linked to New Hampshire youth center abuse
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 15:24:54
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — Jurors in the first criminal trial linked to New Hampshire’s sprawling child abuse scandal began deliberating Thursday in the case of a former youth detention center worker charged with repeatedly raping a teenage girl two decades ago.
Victor Malavet, 62, is one of nine men charged in connection with the 5-year-old investigation into abuse allegations at the Sununu Youth Services Center in Manchester, though unlike the others, he worked at a separate state-run facility in Concord. He has pleaded not guilty to 12 counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault against a resident of the Youth Detention Services Unit, a temporary holding facility for children with cases in court.
Malavet did not testify at his four-day trial, and his attorneys called no witnesses. But jurors heard him deny the allegations Thursday during the testimony of a state police officer who had been authorized to secretly record her interview with him in April 2021. In a 45-minute excerpt played in court, Malavet said he did not have sex with Natasha Maunsell, who was 15 and 16 when she was held at the facility in 2001 and 2002.
“The only relationship I had with her, and all the kids, was just a professional relationship,” he said.
Malavet told police it was common for staff to gravitate toward residents they felt a connection with but insisted nothing inappropriate happened with Maunsell. He acknowledged being transferred to the Manchester facility after others questioned their relationship, but he accused them of “spreading rumors” and suggested he was targeted because he is Puerto Rican.
“People just couldn’t understand that I was trying to mentor her,” he said.
The Associated Press does not typically identify people who say they’ve been sexually assaulted unless they come forward publicly as Maunsell has done. Over the course of two days, she testified that Malavet arranged to be alone with her in a candy storage room, the laundry room and other locations and then repeatedly raped her.
“Natasha was the perfect victim,” Senior Assistant Attorney General Meghan Hagaman said in her closing statement. “She was alone and afraid. But she’s not a child anymore. She’s not afraid anymore. She’s not ashamed anymore. And that man does not control her anymore.”
In her closing statement, defense attorney Jaye Duncan argued that Malavet should be acquitted based in part on “shocking inconsistencies” not only between Maunsell’s testimony and her past statements but among the various prosecution witnesses.
Maunsell testified that she denied having sex with Malavet when questioned in 2002, 2017, and 2019 because she was scared and thought no one would believe her. But Duncan said she only came forward after other detention center residents sued the state. Maunsell is among more than 1,100 former residents who have filed lawsuits alleging abuse spanning six decades and has received about $150,000 in loans in advance of a settlement.
“It’s all lies. Money changes everything, but it can’t change the truth, and the truth is, Natasha made these allegations to get paid,” Duncan said.
The prosecutor countered that the civil and criminal cases are separate, and Maunsell was not required to pursue criminal charges in order to win her civil suit.
“If this was all about money, why would Natasha participate in the criminal case? She could sue, get money and be done,” Hagaman said. “Why come into this courtroom and tell a roomful of strangers the horrific details about that man repeatedly raping her?”
Two of the charges allege sexual contact without consent while the other 10 allege that Malavet was in a position of authority over Maunsell and used that authority to coerce her into sex. His attorney denied there was any sexual contact, consensual or otherwise.
In the only civil case to go to trial so far, a jury awarded David Meehan $38 million in May for abuse he says he suffered at the Youth Development Center in the 1990s, though the verdict remains in dispute.
Together, the two trials highlight the unusual dynamic of having the state attorney general’s office simultaneously prosecute those accused of committing offenses and defend the state. While attorneys for the state spent much of Meehan’s trial portraying him as a violent child, troublemaking teenager and a delusional adult, state prosecutors relied on Mansell’s testimony in the criminal case.
Jurors deliberated for about two hours Thursday before ending for the day.
veryGood! (773)
Related
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- 2 years after fuel leak at Hawaiian naval base, symptoms and fears persist
- Theft of 2 million dimes from truckload of coins from US Mint leaves four facing federal charges
- Ecuador's drug lords are building narco-zoos as status symbols. The animals are paying the price.
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- The Book Report: Washington Post critic Ron Charles (October 22)
- Winnebago County to pay $3.3 million to settle fatal police crash lawsuit
- Video shows Coast Guard rescuing mariners after luxury yacht capsizes near North Carolina
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Israeli family from Hamas-raided kibbutz tries not to think the worst as 3 still held, including baby boy
Ranking
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Pink Shares She Nearly Died After Overdose at Age 16
- Police in Atlanta suburb pledge full investigation after residents report anti-Semitic flyers
- Court orders Russian-US journalist to stay in jail another 6 weeks
- Small twin
- Experts: Hate, extremism on social media spreads amid Israel-Hamas war
- Rob McElhenney Enlists Chris Pratt to Deliver Parks and Wrex Birthday Present for BFF Ryan Reynolds
- Quick genetic test offers hope for sick, undiagnosed kids. But few insurers offer to pay.
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
2 years after fuel leak at Hawaiian naval base, symptoms and fears persist
Tom Brady and Irina Shayk Break Up After Brief Romance
What are the benefits of retinol and is it safe to use?
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
Michigan or Ohio State? Heisman in doubt? Five top college football Week 8 overreactions
Shay Mitchell Launches New BÉIS Plaid Collection Just in Time for the Holidays
California man wins $10 million after letting cashier choose his scratch-off ticket