Current:Home > NewsEx-TV news reporter is running as a Republican for Bob Menendez’s Senate seat in New Jersey -VisionFunds
Ex-TV news reporter is running as a Republican for Bob Menendez’s Senate seat in New Jersey
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 13:06:58
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) —
A former TV news reporter known for his aggressive on-camera demeanor is getting into New Jersey’s U.S. Senate race as a Republican candidate for the seat currently held by Democratic Sen. Bob Menendez, who’s facing federal corruption charges.
Alex Zdan, 38, a former news reporter for News 12 New Jersey, announced his candidacy Friday in an online video showing him at the U.S.-Mexico border in Nogales, Arizona, where he called for an end to illegal border crossings in what has emerged as a major campaign theme for Republican candidates nationwide. The video depicts gaps in the border fence.
Zdan joins a GOP field that is quickly filling with candidates, including Mendham Borough Mayor Christine Serrano Glassner and southern New Jersey businessman Curtis Bashaw on the GOP side. New Jersey has not elected a Republican to the U.S. Senate since 1972, but Republicans are hoping the turmoil surrounding Menendez gives them a pickup opportunity in the narrowly divided chamber.
The Democratic primary remains unsettled, with Menendez not yet saying if he’ll seek reelection even as he has pleaded not guilty to federal charges that he took bribes in exchange for helping foreign countries. He’s vowed to fight the charges, though many of his fellow Democrats have abandoned him and some have said he should resign.
A contest between New Jersey first lady Tammy Murphy and Rep. Andy Kim is taking center stage, though other Democrats, including civil rights activists Lawrence Hamm and labor leader Patricia Campos-Medina, have also stepped into the ring.
Zdan left TV journalism after being laid off during cutbacks at News 12 late last year. He frequently clashed with Democratic Gov. Phil Murphy during the governor’s COVID-19 news conferences, asking aggressive questions, and got attention in 2020 when he told a Trump supporter who interrupted a news report to “buzz off.”
In a phone interview, Zdan said it’s time for a new generation of conservative leaders focused on winning working class and multicultural voters and that he decided to move from journalism to politics because he views reporting as a public service.
“If you know me and you know my energy and my abilities and my desire to serve and make people’s lives better, it kind of makes sense to go from the anchor desk to the floor of Congress,” he said.
veryGood! (4591)
Related
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Tish Cyrus' Husband Dominic Purcell Shares Message About Nonsense Amid Rumored Drama
- As war in Gaza tests interfaith bonds in the US, some find ways to mend relationships
- Bringing dental care to kids in schools is helping take care of teeth neglected in the pandemic
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- What we know: Trump uses death of Michigan woman to stoke fears over immigration
- Arsenal goes back on top of Premier League and Man City routs Aston Villa to stay close
- 'Call Her Daddy' star Alex Cooper joins NBC's 2024 Paris Olympics coverage
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- The Nail Salon Is Expensive: These Press-On Nails Cost Less Than a Manicure
Ranking
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Fire tears through nightclub and apartment building in Istanbul, killing at least 29 people: I've lost four friends
- UConn men's team arrives in Phoenix after flight to Final Four delayed by plane issues
- Party conventions open in North Dakota with GOP divided and Democrats searching for candidates
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Warren Sapp's pay at Colorado revealed as graduate assistant football coach
- Athletics announce plans to play the next 3 seasons in minor league park near Sacramento
- Police say 5-year-old Michigan boy killed when he and 6-year-old find gun at grandparents’ home
Recommendation
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
2024 NFL mock draft: Who will Bills land to replace Stefon Diggs at WR after trade?
Nancy Silverton Says This $18 Kitchen Item Changed Her Life
Regina Hill: What to know about the suspended Orlando city commissioner facing 7 felonies
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
South Carolina women's basketball Final Four history: How many titles have Gamecocks won?
Arsenal goes back on top of Premier League and Man City routs Aston Villa to stay close
Former candidate for Maryland governor fined over campaign material