Current:Home > FinanceDisputes over access to the vote intensify as Ohioans begin to cast ballots -VisionFunds
Disputes over access to the vote intensify as Ohioans begin to cast ballots
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 16:14:38
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Several disputes over voter rights in Ohio were unresolved Tuesday as the state began accepting early ballots in this fall’s election for president, a key U.S. Senate race and a redistricting measure.
Republican Secretary of State Frank LaRose had not yet responded to Common Cause and the League of Women Voters, which notified him last week that voters were being systematically removed from the rolls in several counties as a result of third-party challenges. The advocacy groups alleged the actions violate provisions of the National Voting Registration Act.
LaRose’s office said he had cast a tie vote keeping most of the challenged voters in one of the counties, Delaware, on the rolls. He is reviewing claims in three additional counties.
National groups allied with former President Donald Trump have been facilitating these citizen-powered efforts to systematically challenge the legitimacy of large numbers of voter registrations. LaRose praised their efforts and believes accurate voter rolls are a core tenet of any well-run election, said spokesman Dan Lusheck.
“Ohio runs some of the most transparent elections in the nation, and we are proud of that,” Lusheck said.
Meanwhile, minority Democrats at the Ohio Statehouse carried on questioning LaRose’s removal of 155,000 voter registration records in August. He has said the legally required actions targeted registration records of inactive, noncitizen, deceased or otherwise ineligible voters.
On Monday, state Rep. Elliot Forhan, a Cleveland-area Democrat, filed a formal challenge asking the Cuyahoga County Board of Elections to restore 741 voters in the county — a Democratic stronghold potentially pivotal in U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown’s tight reelection bid against Cleveland businessman Bernie Moreno.
State Rep. Bride Rose Sweeney, another Democrat from the Cleveland area, sent a letter to LaRose on Tuesday reiterating her earlier request for additional records involving the office’s removal processes. Her office uncovered more than 1,000 wrongfully removed voters in Cuyahoga County alone with the help of previously released records, she said, and requested a third-party audit.
“If Frank LaRose isn’t going to ensure all eligible voters have the right to vote in Ohio, the least he can do is give me the public records, so I can do it for him,” Sweeney said in a statement.
LaRose’s office had no immediate comment.
Also yet to be resolved is the Ohio Democratic Party’s September lawsuit challenging a LaRose directive that prevents people who are helping voters with disabilities drop off their ballots from using drop boxes.
The secretary issued his order after a federal judge struck down portions of Ohio’s sweeping 2023 election law in July, allowing more classes of people to help voters with disabilities deliver their ballots. It affirmed the helpers could do so, but added requirements that they drop the ballots inside board of elections offices and sign a form vouching for their identities.
LaRose called the move a precaution against ballot harvesting. Democrats said that it is illegal.
Three of the Ohio Supreme Court’s seven justices — two Democrats and a Republican, all seeking office this fall — have recused themselves in the case. A fourth was asked to, but refused.
What to know about the 2024 Election
- Today’s news: Follow live updates from the campaign trail from the AP.
- Ground Game: Sign up for AP’s weekly politics newsletter to get it in your inbox every Monday.
- AP’s Role: The Associated Press is the most trusted source of information on election night, with a history of accuracy dating to 1848. Learn more.
The Republican National Committee and the Ohio Republican Party said Tuesday they have moved to intervene in the case.
“Secretary LaRose has taken critical steps to safeguard Ohio’s elections, but once again Democrats are trying to dismantle commonsense protections that make it easy to vote and hard to cheat,” national committee Chairman Michael Whatley said in a statement. “This is yet another poorly veiled attempt to eliminate ballot safeguards and interfere right before the election — and we will stop them.”
veryGood! (9288)
Related
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Muslim students face tough challenges during Ramadan. Here's what teachers can do to help.
- 'Rust' armorer requests new trial following involuntary manslaughter conviction
- Earlier Springs Have Cascading Effects on Animals, Plants and Pastimes
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Jimmie Allen's former manager agrees to drop sexual assault lawsuit, stands by accusation
- Is The Idea of You About Harry Styles? Anne Hathaway Says…
- University of Maryland lifts Greek life ban, hazing investigation into five chapters continues
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Dust-up
Ranking
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- What to know about R.J. Davis, North Carolina's senior star and ACC player of the year
- Watch this newborn chick revived by a quick-thinking farmer
- South Carolina’s governor marks new gun law with ceremonial bill signing
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Gardening bloomed during the pandemic. Garden centers hope would-be green thumbs stay interested
- Florida Legislators Ban Local Heat Protections for Millions of Outdoor Workers
- US farms are increasingly reliant on contract workers who are acutely exposed to climate extremes
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Minnesota court rules pharmacist discriminated against woman in denying emergency contraception
March Madness as we know it could be on the way out amid seismic changes in college sports
Dr. Dre had three strokes after his brain aneurysm. How common is that?
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Ohio mother sentenced for leaving toddler alone to die while she went on vacation
Rapper Phat Geez killed in North Philadelphia shooting, no arrests made yet, police say
Pete Guelli hired as chief operating officer of the NFL’s Buffalo Bills and NHL’s Sabres