Current:Home > MyDrake Bell says he's 'reeling' from 'Quiet on Set' reaction, calls Hollywood 'dark cesspool' -VisionFunds
Drake Bell says he's 'reeling' from 'Quiet on Set' reaction, calls Hollywood 'dark cesspool'
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-05 22:50:42
Drake Bell has been overwhelmed by the reactions to him telling his story in the documentary series "Quiet on Set."
The "Drake and Josh" actor said he was "still reeling" from the response after opening up about the sexual abuse he faced as a child, he revealed during a panel at an Emmys For Your Consideration event in Los Angeles on Tuesday.
"Having to tell this sensitive of a story, something I held inside for so many years," said Bell, 37, according to Deadline and People. "I'm still reeling from the idea of bearing my soul to the world."
Bell said he was partly inspired to speak up now because he hadn't seen anything written about former Nickelodeon dialogue coach Brian Peck, 63, who was convicted in 2004 of lewd acts with a minor, revealed in the documentary to be then-15-year-old Bell.
"It was nowhere," the "Amanda Show" actor said. "I was so perplexed by that. This is the response that I feel should have happened so many years ago, the reaction that everybody is having now. This needs to change."
Bell said people have come up to him and sharing they now have the bravery to speak up, and call for laws to be changed.
"Hollywood is a beautiful place, full of fantasy and imagination and fun. But it's also a completely dark cesspool of disgusting waste," he said. "I'm hoping that we see shifts and changes inside the industry that are needed."
Bell appeared on the panel alongside "All That" stars Giovonnie Samuels and Bryan Hearne, who also speak out in the documentary, and filmmakers Mary Robertson and Emma Schwartz.
Bryan Hearne defends parents of child stars, says he and mom are 'really good'
Samuels and Hearne appeared in "Quiet on Set" and discussed their experiences on the sketch show. The documentary series exposed several claims against the Nickelodeon series creator, Dan Schneider, of misogyny, racism and creating toxic work environments.
Hearne also defended the parents of child stars, saying they can only "do so much."
"I don't think it's on the parents," Hearne, 35, said. "I think that it's important that there are people on set … who are tasked to give care and caretake to the emotions of the children on set. That's the most important thing."
'Quiet on Set' new episode:Former 'All That' actor Shane Lyons says Brian Peck made 'passes' at him
The "Hardball" actor also addressed speculation about the state of his relationship with his mother, Tracey Brown, who also appears in the series to discuss her experience as a parent on set.
In the latest episode of the series, Hearne participated in an emotional discussion with his mother, and the two said the documentary helped repair their fractured relationship.
"I (want to) clear something up about the narrative about whether or not I've been in touch with my mom since then," Hearne said, according to Deadline. "I didn't leave 'All That' and my mom. We have had a tumultuous relationship. We're on again, off again ... Right now, we're on again, and it feels permanent, and that's really good."
Contributing: Brendan Morrow
veryGood! (22)
Related
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Brazil surprise songs: See the tunes Taylor Swift played in Rio de Janeiro
- Why Kim Kardashian Thinks She Has Coccydynia
- One woman's controversial fight to make America accept drug users for who they are
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Milei echoes Trump with fraud claims that inject uncertainty into Argentina’s presidential runoff
- Sean 'Diddy' Combs, Cassie settle bombshell lawsuit alleging rape, abuse, sex trafficking
- Want to rent a single-family home? Here's where it's most affordable.
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Fox News and others lied about the 2020 election being stolen. Is cable news broken?
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Residents battling a new train line in northern Mexico face a wall of government secrecy
- The Vatican broadens public access to an ancient Roman necropolis
- 'Day' is a sad story of middle-aged disillusionment
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- The Best Ulta Black Friday Deals of 2023: Save Up to 50% On Redken, Too Faced, COSRX & More
- Taylor Swift Postpones Second Brazil Concert Due to Extreme Temperatures and After Fan's Death
- Bangladesh’s top court upholds decision barring largest Islamist party from elections
Recommendation
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
Israeli drone fires missiles at aluminum plant in south Lebanon
Daisaku Ikeda, head of global Japanese Buddhist organization Soka Gakkai, dies at 95
UK Treasury chief signals tax cuts and a squeeze on welfare benefits are on the way
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
How to Work Smarter, Not Harder for Your Body, According to Jennifer Aniston's Trainer Dani Coleman
In march on Jerusalem, thousands press Israeli government to do more to free hostages held in Gaza
Officials stock up on overdose antidote naloxone after fentanyl-laced letters disrupt vote counting