Current:Home > FinanceIOC: Female boxers were victims of arbitrary decision by International Boxing Association -VisionFunds
IOC: Female boxers were victims of arbitrary decision by International Boxing Association
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 11:37:54
PARIS – The International Olympic Committee (IOC) says two female boxers at the center of controversy over gender eligibility criteria were victims of a “sudden and arbitrary decision" by the International Boxing Association (IBA) in 2023.
Algerian boxer Imane Khelif and Lin Yu-ting of Taiwan both were disqualified from the 2023 women’s boxing world championships after the IBA claimed they had failed "gender eligibility tests." The IBA, which sanctions the world championships, made the announcement after Khelif and Lin won medals at the event in March 2023.
The IBA, long plagued with scandal and controversy, oversaw Olympics boxing before the IOC stripped it of the right before the Tokyo Games in 2021. Although the IBA has maintained control of the world championships, the IOC no longer recognizes the IBA as the international federation for boxing.
Citing minutes on the IBA’s website, the IOC said Thursday, “The current aggression against these two athletes is based entirely on this arbitrary decision, which was taken without any proper procedures – especially considering that these athletes had been competing in top level competition for many years."
The issue resurfaced this week when the IOC said both Khelif and Lin were eligible to compete at the Paris Olympics, and a furor erupted on social media Thursday after Khelif won her opening bout against Italy’s Angela Carini. Khelif landed one punch – on Carini’s nose – before the Italian boxer quit just 46 seconds into the welterweight bout at 146 pounds. Lin is scheduled to fight in her opening bout Friday.
2024 Olympic medals: Who is leading the medal count? Follow along as we track the medals for every sport.
With the likes of Jake Paul and J.K. Rowling expressing outrage over Khelif competing against other women, the IOC issued a statement later Thursday addressing the matter.
“The IOC is committed to protecting the human rights of all athletes participating in the Olympic Games," the organization said in a statement issued on social media. "… The IOC is saddened by the abuse that these two athletes are currently receiving."
The IOC said the gender and age of an athlete are based on their passports and that the current Olympic competition eligibility and entry regulations were in place during Olympic qualifying events in 2023. Both Lin and Khelif competed in the 2021 Tokyo Games and did not medal.
The IOC pointed to the IBA’s secretary general and CEO, Chris Roberts, as being responsible for disqualifying Khelif and Lin after they had won medals in 2023. Khelif won bronze, Lin gold before the IBA took them away.
Khelif, 25, made her amateur debut in 2018 at the Balkan Women's Tournament, according to BoxRec. She is 37-9 and has recorded five knockouts, according to BoxRec, and won a silver medal at the 2022 world championships.
Lin, 28, made her amateur debut in 2013 at the AIBA World Women's Youth Championships, according to BoxRec. She is 40-14 and has recorded one knockout, according to BoxRec, and won gold medals at the world championships in 2018 and 2022.
On Thursday, the IBA issued a statement saying the disqualification was "based on two trustworthy tests conducted on both athletes in two independent laboratories.''
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Katy Perry dodges question about Dr. Luke after online backlash amid Kesha claims
- When do new episodes of 'Power Book II: Ghost' Season 4 come out? Release date, time, cast, where to watch
- Ugandan Olympic athlete dies after being severely burned by her partner over a land dispute
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Brian Stelter rejoining CNN 2 years after he was fired by cable network
- Donald Trump’s youngest son has enrolled at New York University
- 4 confirmed dead, suspect in custody after school shooting in Georgia
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Lady Gaga, Joaquin Phoenix bring ‘Joker: Folie à Deux’ to Venice Film Festival
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Wildlife trafficking ring killed at least 118 eagles, prosecutors say
- Who is Jon Lovett? What to know about the former Obama speechwriter on 'Survivor' 47
- How Taylor Swift Scored With Her Style Every Time She Attended Boyfriend Travis Kelce’s Games
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Noel Parmentel Jr., a literary gadfly with some famous friends, dies at 98
- Noel Parmentel Jr., a literary gadfly with some famous friends, dies at 98
- Teen suspect in shooting of 49ers' Ricky Pearsall charged with three felonies
Recommendation
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
Teen suspect in shooting of 49ers' Ricky Pearsall charged with three felonies
Brian Stelter rejoining CNN 2 years after he was fired by cable network
Death doulas and the death positive movement | The Excerpt
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
A utility investigated but didn’t find a gas leak before a fatal Maryland house explosion
California settles lawsuit with Sacramento suburb over affordable housing project
Blue Jackets players, GM try to make sense of tragedy after deaths of Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau