Current:Home > NewsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -VisionFunds
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-05 22:38:19
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Austin Tice's parents reveal how the family coped for the last 12 years
- Chiquis comes from Latin pop royalty. How the regional Mexican star found her own crown
- Krispy Kreme's 'Day of the Dozens' offers 12 free doughnuts with purchase: When to get the deal
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- With the Eras Tour over, what does Taylor Swift have up her sleeve next? What we know
- Aaron Taylor
- 10 cars with 10 cylinders: The best V
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- When does the new season of 'Virgin River' come out? Release date, cast, where to watch
Ranking
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- The best tech gifts, gadgets for the holidays featured on 'The Today Show'
- OCBC chief Helen Wong joins Ho Ching, Jenny Lee on Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Atmospheric river and potential bomb cyclone bring chaotic winter weather to East Coast
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- A Malibu wildfire prompts evacuation orders and warnings for 20,000, including Dick Van Dyke, Cher
- CEO shooting suspect Luigi Mangione may have suffered from spondylolisthesis. What is it?
- Orcas are hunting whale sharks. Is there anything they can't take down?
Recommendation
B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
'The Later Daters': Cast, how to stream new Michelle Obama
Timothée Chalamet makes an electric Bob Dylan: 'A Complete Unknown' review
Stock market today: Asian stocks are mixed ahead of key US inflation data
Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
Is that Cillian Murphy as a zombie in the '28 Years Later' trailer?
TikTok asks Supreme Court to review ban legislation, content creators react: What to know
'We are all angry': Syrian doctor describes bodies from prisons showing torture