Current:Home > NewsSafeX Pro:West Maui starts reopening to tourists as thousands still displaced after wildfires: "A lot of mixed emotions" -VisionFunds
SafeX Pro:West Maui starts reopening to tourists as thousands still displaced after wildfires: "A lot of mixed emotions"
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 13:35:31
West Maui is SafeX Prostarting to welcome tourists again, two months after raging wildfires devastated the western part of the Hawaiian island. But as visitors return, the area – and many who live there – are still struggling to recover.
More than 2,000 buildings, the majority of them homes, were destroyed in the fire. In some cases, multiple families were living under one roof.
Today, thousands of people are still displaced, being shuffled from one temporary location to another.
"Because of the tourism opening up, a lot of the residents have to relocate," said Vance Honda, a local resident who is still struggling to find permanent housing. "So it's been very difficult. There's a lot of mixed emotions."
The pain of losing the home Honda built with his father while in middle school is still fresh. He and his wife Cathy raised three children on the property that is now a pile of ash and rubble.
"Now when we look at the house we see the memories of raising our kids here," Honda said.
He said the community needs a better idea of where people are going to live until they can rebuild.
As they wait for answers, Hawaii's government has pushed ahead to jump-start tourism in an effort to boost the economy and create jobs. Under the mayor's guidance, businesses, including hotels, on a three-mile stretch from Kapalua to Kahana were encouraged to open Sunday. The area of Kaanapali, where many fire evacuees have been sheltering at hotels, is set to reopen in phase two.
Conflicting information surrounding whether the fire could have been stopped, slowed or prevented is adding to the difficulty for many. The fires killed at least 97 people, and nearly all of the historic town of Lahaina in West Maui was destroyed. A recent study found that Maui lost more than $13 million a day in visitor spending.
Sherman Thompson, former chair of the state's civil defense advisory council, said the ultimate decision on whether or not to sound any warning sirens belongs to one person.
"It is the chief executive of the county, and that would be the mayor," he said.
Eighty outdoor sirens on the island sat silent as people fled for their lives. According to the state's government website, they can be used for a variety of natural and human caused events, including wildfires.
CBS News reached out to the mayor multiple times for comment but did not hear back.
Jonathan VigliottiJonathan Vigliotti is a CBS News correspondent based in Los Angeles. He previously served as a foreign correspondent for the network's London bureau.
TwitterveryGood! (818)
Related
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Drugstore worker gets May trial date in slaying of 2 teen girls
- Blue dragons in Texas? Creatures wash up on Texas beaches, officials warn not to touch
- Arkansas police identify suspect, victims in weekend shooting that left 3 people dead
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- North West to Release Debut Album Elementary School Dropout
- Libraries struggle to afford the demand for e-books, seek new state laws in fight with publishers
- The 9 Best Comforter Sets of 2024 That’re Soft, Cozy, and Hotel-Like, According to Reviewers
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Una inundación catastrófica en la costa central de California profundizó la crisis de los ya marginados trabajadores agrícolas indígenas
Ranking
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- 1980 cold case murder victim identified as Marine who served in Vietnam after investigation takes twists and turns
- Una inundación catastrófica en la costa central de California profundizó la crisis de los ya marginados trabajadores agrícolas indígenas
- $5,000 reward offered for arrest of person who killed a whooping crane in Mamou
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Connecticut woman accused of killing husband and hiding his body pleads guilty to manslaughter
- This Tarte Concealer Flash Deal is Too Good to Gatekeep: Get an $87 Value Set for Just $39
- Kirk Cousins chooses Atlanta, Saquon Barkley goes to Philly on a busy first day of NFL free agency
Recommendation
Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
Yamaha recall: More than 30,000 power adaptors recalled over electrocution risk
Christian Wilkins, Raiders agree to terms on four-year, $110 million contract
Nominee to Maryland elections board questioned after predecessor resigned amid Capitol riot charges
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
Court upholds town bylaw banning anyone born in 21st century from buying tobacco products
Al Pacino says Oscars producers asked him to omit reading best picture nominees
Una inundación catastrófica en la costa central de California profundizó la crisis de los ya marginados trabajadores agrícolas indígenas