Current:Home > ContactRekubit-North Korea fires suspected long-range ballistic missile into sea in resumption of weapons launches -VisionFunds
Rekubit-North Korea fires suspected long-range ballistic missile into sea in resumption of weapons launches
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 14:52:26
SEOUL,Rekubit South Korea (AP) — North Korea fired a suspected long-range ballistic missile into the sea Monday in a resumption of its weapons testing activities, its neighbors said, as the North vows retaliatory steps against U.S. and South Korean moves to boost their nuclear deterrence plans.
South Korea’s military said in a statement that North Korea launched what appeared to be a long-range ballistic missile from its capital region Monday morning. It said South Korea maintain a readiness while exchanging information about the launch with U.S. and Japanese authorities.
Japan’s Defense Ministry said it also spotted a ballistic missile launch by North Korea. A ministry statement said that the missile was still in flight and that it was expected to land in waters outside the Japanese Exclusive Economic Zone.
Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida told reporters that he had so far received no report of injuries or damages from the missile launch and that he planned to hold a National Security Council meeting to discuss the test.
The launch came hours after South Korea reported North Korea conducted a short-range ballistic missile test into the sea Sunday night. It was the North’s first weapons launch in about a month.
Observers said the North’s back-to-back launches were likely a protest against the moves by South Korea and the United States to bolster their nuclear deterrence plans in the face of North Korea’s evolving nuclear threats.
Senior U.S. and South Korean officials met in Washington over the weekend and agreed to update their nuclear deterrence and contingency strategies and incorporate nuclear operation scenarios in their combined military exercises next summer.
On Sunday, North Korea’s Defense Ministry slammed its rivals’ move to include nuclear operation scenarios in their joint drills, describing it as an open threat to potentially use nuclear weapons against the North. It vowed to prepare unspecified “offensive countermeasures.”
“The armed forces of (North Korea) will thoroughly neutralize the U.S. and its vassal forces’ attempt to ignite a nuclear war,” the North Korean statement said. “Any attempt by the hostile forces to use armed force against (North Korea) will face a preemptive and deadly counteraction.”
Animosities between the two Koreas deepened after North Korea launched its first military reconnaissance satellite into space Nov. 21 in violation of U.N. bans.
South Korea, the U.S. and Japan strongly condemned the launch, viewing it as an attempt by the North to improve its missile technology as well as establish a space-based surveillance system.
South Korea announced plans to resume front-line aerial surveillance in response. North Korea quickly retaliated by restoring border guard posts, officials in Seoul said. Both steps would breach a 2018 inter-Korean deal on easing front-line military tensions.
veryGood! (27)
Related
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Chemical firms to pay $110 million to Ohio to settle claims over releases of ‘forever chemicals’
- Oklahoma prepares to execute man for 2001 double slaying despite self-defense claim
- Officer and suspect killed in a shootout after a traffic stop in southwest Colorado
- Average rate on 30
- Beloved California doughnut shop owner reflects on childhood in Japanese internment camp
- Senate Majority Leader Schumer warns that antisemitism is on the rise as he pushes for Israel aid
- 3 people dead, 1 hospitalized after explosion at Ohio auto shop
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Comedian Sebastian Maniscalco on new Max show 'Bookie,' stand-up and Chris Rock's advice
Ranking
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Beloved California doughnut shop owner reflects on childhood in Japanese internment camp
- Why Jamie Lynn Spears Abruptly Quit I'm a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here!
- The Excerpt podcast: 12 more hostages held by Hamas freed in Gaza
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Taylor Swift is Spotify's most-streamed artist. Who follows her at the top may surprise you.
- In Netflix's 'American Symphony,' Jon Batiste, wife Suleika Jaouad share joy and pain
- Three songs for when your flight is delayed
Recommendation
Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
Attorney suspended for pooping in a Pringles can, leaving it in victim advocate's parking lot
Autoworkers strike cut Ford sales by 100,000 vehicles and cost company $1.7 billion in profits
Travis Kelce Reacts to Taylor Swift Showing Her Support for His Career Milestone
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
Keke Palmer Speaks About “Intimate” Relationship Going Wrong
Mavericks likely will end up in the hands of one of Las Vegas’ most powerful families
Philips sleep apnea machines can overheat, FDA warns