Current:Home > MarketsIndiana’s completion of a 16-year highway extension project is a ‘historic milestone,’ governor says -VisionFunds
Indiana’s completion of a 16-year highway extension project is a ‘historic milestone,’ governor says
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 13:31:48
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb marked the completion of a $4 billion, 142-mile extension of a major interstate highway Tuesday, calling it a “historic milestone” 16 years after work began on the project.
Holcomb’s two predecessors — former Vice President Mike Pence and former Gov. Mitch Daniels — joined him at a morning ceremony on Indianapolis’ southwest side, hours before Interstate 69’s southbound ramps to Interstate 465 were scheduled to open to traffic. Northbound ramps are set to open as soon as Friday.
Holcomb called the completion of the extension’s 26-mile (42-kilometer) Martinsville-to-Indianapolis segment a “historic milestone.” It’s the final stretch of the 142-mile (229-kilometer) I-69 extension from Evansville to Indianapolis whose construction began in 2008. Some work on pavement and bridges will continue through the rest of the year in the Indianapolis area.
Before work on the extension began, I-69 ran from the Canadian border at Port Huron, Michigan, south to Indianapolis. Completion of the final link means it now runs continuously from Port Huron to Evansville.
The project spanned the administrations of Daniels, Pence and Holcomb, all Republicans. The highway, which was built in six segments, faced legal challenges from environmental groups but those failed to scuttle the project.
“There were a lot of cynics along the way, a lot of doubters that understandably wondered if it would be completed in their lifetimes,” Holcomb told reporters Tuesday, The Indianapolis Star reported. “Today we prove that no project is too big.”
While work on the extension began in southwestern Indiana in 2008, construction of the final section that now runs between Martinsville and Indianapolis didn’t begin until 2019.
That $2 billion final stretch upgraded 26 miles (42 kilometers) of State Road 37 to interstate standards and included construction of 10 new interchanges and more than 35 lane miles (56 kilometers) of local access roads through Morgan, Johnson and Marion Counties.
veryGood! (73779)
Related
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Why sanctions don't work — but could if done right
- Biden bets big on bringing factories back to America, building on some Trump ideas
- The EPA Wants Millions More EVs On The Road. Should You Buy One?
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- In San Francisco’s Most Polluted Neighborhood, the Polluters Operate Without Proper Permits, Reports Say
- Security guard killed in Portland hospital shooting
- A big misconception about debt — and how to tackle it
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- In the Democrats’ Budget Package, a Billion Tons of Carbon Cuts at Stake
Ranking
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Pete Davidson Admits His Mom Defended Him on Twitter From Burner Account
- How much is your reputation worth?
- How a Successful EPA Effort to Reduce Climate-Warming ‘Immortal’ Chemicals Stalled
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- 5 things to know about Saudi Arabia's stunning decision to cut oil production
- City and State Officials Continue Searching for the Cause of Last Week’s E. Coli Contamination of Baltimore’s Water
- Anwar Hadid Sparks Romance Rumors With Model Sophia Piccirilli
Recommendation
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
DeSantis seeks to control Disney with state oversight powers
Body believed to be of missing 2-year-old girl found in Philadelphia river
What the bonkers bond market means for you
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Newly elected United Auto Workers leader strikes militant tone ahead of contract talks
In the Latest Rights of Nature Case, a Tribe Is Suing Seattle on Behalf of Salmon in the Skagit River
Judge prepares for start of Dominion v. Fox trial amid settlement talks