Current:Home > InvestFastexy:US forces shoot down ballistic missiles in Red Sea, kills gunmen in attack by Yemen’s Houthi rebels -VisionFunds
Fastexy:US forces shoot down ballistic missiles in Red Sea, kills gunmen in attack by Yemen’s Houthi rebels
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 13:31:55
BEIRUT (AP) — The FastexyU.S. military said Sunday it shot down two anti-ship ballistic missiles fired toward a container ship by Yemen’s Houthi rebels in the Red Sea. Hours later, four boats tried to attack the same ship, but U.S. forces opened fire, killing several of the armed crews, the U.S. Central Command said. No one was injured on the ship.
The Singapore-flagged MAERSK HANZGHOU reported they had already been hit by a missile Saturday night while transiting the Southern Red Sea and requested assistance, CENTCOM said in a statement. The USS GRAVELY and USS LABOON responded to the call for help, and the Denmark-owned vessel was reportedly seaworthy and no injuries were noted, the statement added.
“This is the 23rd illegal attack by the Houthis on international shipping since Nov. 19,” CENTCOM said.
In another statement, CENTCOM said the same ship issued an additional distress call about a second attack “by four Iranian-backed Houthi small boats.” The attackers fired small arms weapons at the MAERSK HANZGHOU, getting to within 20 meters (about 65 feet) of the vessel, and attempted to it, CENTCOM said.
A contract-embarked security team on the ship returned fire, the central command said. U.S. helicopters from the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower aircraft carrier and GRAVELY responded to the distress call and while issuing verbal warnings to the attackers, the small boat crews opened fire on the helicopters using small arms, the statement said.
“The U.S. Navy helicopters returned fire in self-defense,” sinking three of the four boats, killing the crews while the fourth boat fled the area, CENTCOM said, and no damage to U.S. personnel or equipment was reported.
The Iran-backed Houthis have claimed attacks on ships in the Red Sea that they say are either linked to Israel or heading to Israeli ports. They say their attacks aim to end Israel’s air-and-ground offensive targeting the Gaza Strip following the attack by the Palestinian militant group Hamas on Oct.7.
On Saturday, the top commander of U.S. naval forces in the Middle East said Houthi rebels have shown no signs of ending their “reckless” attacks on commercial ships in the Red Sea even as more nations join the international maritime mission to protect vessels in the vital waterway and trade traffic begins to pick up.
Since the Pentagon announced Operation Prosperity Guardian to counter the attacks just over 10 days ago, 1,200 merchant ships have traveled through the Red Sea region, and none has been hit by drone or missile strikes, Vice Adm. Brad Cooper said in an Associated Press interview.
veryGood! (249)
Related
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- George Clooney calls Joe Biden 'selfless' for dropping out of 2024 presidential race
- Trent Williams ends holdout with 49ers with new contract almost complete
- COVID-19 government disaster loans saved businesses, but saddled survivors with debt
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- North Carolina court reverses contempt charge against potential juror who wouldn’t wear mask
- You Have 24 Hours To Get 50% Off Ashley Graham’s Self-Tanner, Madison LeCroy’s Eye Cream & $7 Ulta Deals
- Alabama man charged with murder in gas station shooting deaths of 3 near Birmingham
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Ford, Toyota, Acura among 141,000 vehicles recalled: Check the latest car recalls here
Ranking
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Body of missing Myrtle Beach woman found under firepit; South Carolina man charged: Police
- Joey Chestnut vs. Kobayashi: Chestnut sets record in winning hot dog eating rematch
- A vandal shatters windows and doors at Buffalo City Hall
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Arkansas woman pleads guilty to bomb threat against Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders
- Alabama man charged with murder in gas station shooting deaths of 3 near Birmingham
- 2024 US Open: Here’s how to watch on TV, betting odds and more you should know
Recommendation
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Murder on Music Row: Could Kevin Hughes death be mistaken identity over a spurned lover?
The Latest: Presidential campaigns begin sprint to election day
NFL hot seat rankings: Mike McCarthy, Nick Sirianni among coaches already on notice
Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
Gwyneth Paltrow Shines a Light on Family Summer Memories With Ex Chris Martin and Their Kids
Food inflation: As grocery prices continue to soar, see which states, cities have it worse
Venice Lookback: When ‘Joker’ took the festival, and skeptics, by surprise