Current:Home > FinanceRussell Brand's assault, rape allegations being investigated: What his accusers say happened -VisionFunds
Russell Brand's assault, rape allegations being investigated: What his accusers say happened
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 13:06:57
Comedian, actor and social influencer Russell Brand is being accused of − and denying − rape, sexual assault and abuse based on allegations from four women who knew him over a seven-year period at the height of his fame.
In a report published Sept. 16, The Sunday Times, The Times of London and Channel 4's "Dispatches" revealed the accusations, which included one woman alleging Brand raped her, while three others accused him of sexual assault.
Brand denied the allegations, maintaining all of his relationships have been consensual.
The accusations have also spurred broadcasters such as the BBC and Channel 4, where Brand, 48, was previously employed as a presenter, to launch internal investigations into his conduct.
Here's what we know.
DETAILS ON THE FALLOUT:Russell Brand sexual assault allegations mount, comedian dropped by agent, publisher
UK news outlets detail sexual assault allegations against Russell Brand
The Sunday Times, The Times of London and Channel 4's "Dispaches" spoke with four women who alleged Brand raped, sexually assaulted or abused them between 2006 and 2013, at the height of the "Get Him to the Greek" and "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" actor's fame.
The women requested anonymity and in the report were referred to using pseudonyms.
One woman, who went by Nadia, accused the comedian of raping her in his Los Angeles home in 2012. According to the report published in The Times of London, medical records showed she was treated at a rape crisis center on the day of the alleged incident and had therapy sessions there for five months, but she declined to file a police report.
A second woman, referred to as Alice, said she was in an emotionally abusive relationship with Brand over the course of three months in 2006. She was 16 and he was in his early 30s. During that time, Brand allegedly sexually assaulted her once. (The age of consent in the U.K. is 16 years old.)
A third woman, Phoebe, said she and Brand had a brief sexual relationship that ended when he allegedly sexually assaulted her in his home in early 2013 while they worked on a business project. Phoebe said she did not report the incident out of fear of negative career impact.
In 2014, Brand's ex-girlfriend Jordan Martin claimed in a self-published book, "kNot: Entanglement with a Celebrity," that he sexually assaulted her and was physically and emotionally abusive toward her. Martin declined to be interviewed for the investigation but confirmed her account to The Times of London.
After the investigation was published, The Times reported more women have contacted the outlets with claims about Brand's behavior dating back to the early aughts.
BBC, Channel 4 launch internal investigations into Russell Brand's conduct as a presenter
The BBC, Channel 4 and production company Banijay UK said they have launched investigations into Brand's behavior and how complaints were handled.
A BBC spokesperson told CNN on Sept. 18, "Russell Brand worked on BBC radio programmes between 2006 and 2008 and we are urgently looking into the issues raised."
Channel 4 boss Alex Mohan confirmed Wednesday that the broadcaster has begun an investigation, calling the allegations "horrendous" as well as "disgusting and saddening," she said during the opening of the Royal Television Society conference, per Variety and Sky News. "The allegations of course need to be followed up further and we and the BBC and Banijay are investigating."
Mohan also outlined how people can report alleged behavior by Brand. "We will seek to find out who knew, who was told what and what was or wasn’t referred up. But what is clear to me is that terrible behavior towards women was historically tolerated in our industry."
Banijay UK said it launched an "urgent" internal investigation relating to the "alleged serious misconduct of Russell Brand while presenting shows produced by (Banijay UK-owned) Endemol" like "Big Brother's Big Mouth," according to the BBC.
In the U.K. outlets' reporting on Brand's misconduct, a spokesman for Banijay said a review of files and correspondence did not unearth any records of issues regarding Brand's behavior being raised formally.
BAFTA, other industry organizations vow to look into culture of harassment
BAFTA's new chair Sara Putt promised in her first letter to members on Tuesday that the organization would to take a closer look at the "culture of the screen industries and what still needs to change" amid "this weekend's news." Although she did not mention Brand by name, Putt stressed the mandate that U.K. productions entering their projects for awards must have a bullying and harassment policy in place for eligibility. She also voiced support for the Creative Industries Independent Standards Authority's ongoing work to prevent bullying, harassment and discrimination.
CIISA also issued a statement Monday following Brand's allegations. "The news this weekend further underlines the need for this critical intervention," the organization wrote. "CIISA is currently developing its services and structure, which will give individuals working in the creative industries a trusted place to go for mediation, seek advice, dispute resolution and crucially, investigation."
Will Russell Brand be charged?
It's still not yet clear. However, London's Metropolitan Police Force said Sept. 18 that since the allegations were made public it had received "a report of a sexual assault which was alleged to have taken place in Soho in central London in 2003."
The police force said "officers are in contact with the woman and will be providing her with support." It did not identify the alleged perpetrator as Brand, but referred to the newspaper and TV allegations in its statement.
Conservative U.K. legislator Caroline Nokes, who chairs the House of Commons Women and Equalities Committee, urged police in both Britain and the United States to investigate the "incredibly shocking" allegations.
"This merits and needs a criminal investigation, because for too long we have seen men − and the perpetrators of these sorts of crimes are almost invariably men − not being held to account for their behaviors and their actions," she told BBC radio.
London's Metropolitan Police Force told The Associated Press it would speak to the Sunday Times and Channel 4 to ensure "any victims of crime who they have spoken with are aware of how they may report any criminal allegations to police."
Russell Brand, Katy Perryand why women are expected to comment when men are accused of abuse
If you are a survivor of sexual assault, you can call the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 800.656.HOPE (4673) or visit hotline.rainn.org/online and receive confidential support.
Contributing: Naledi Ushe, USA TODAY; The Associated Press
veryGood! (85191)
Related
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- The Ghost in Your Phone
- Woman who killed rapist while defending herself gets 6 years in Mexican prison: If I hadn't done it I would be dead today
- Reese Witherspoon's Draper James Drops Size-Inclusive Swimwear Collection
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Jana Kramer and Boyfriend Allan Russell Make Their Red Carpet Debut at 2023 iHeartRadio Music Awards
- The surprising case for AI boyfriends
- Kourtney Kardashian Reads Mean TikToks About Herself
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- See Jeremy Renner Walk on Anti-Gravity Treadmill Amid Recovery From Snowplow Accident
Ranking
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- 1.5 million apply for U.S. migrant sponsorship program with 30,000 monthly cap
- CIA seeks to recruit Russian spies with new video campaign
- Zelenskyy denies Russian forces have taken Ukrainian city of Bakhmut
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Mitch Landrieu is Biden's man to rebuild America and deliver broadband to millions
- Ulta 24-Hour Flash Sale: Take 50% Off Peter Thomas Roth, PÜR, BareMinerals, KVD Beauty, and More
- The U.S.' top general reflects on the changing face of war, 79 years after D-Day
Recommendation
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
After high-stakes talks, U.N.-brokered Black Sea grain deal is extended to help lower food prices worldwide
Chad Michael Murray Sparks Debate After Playing Kiss, Marry, Kill With His Iconic Characters
1.5 million apply for U.S. migrant sponsorship program with 30,000 monthly cap
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
The Bachelor's Caelynn Miller-Keyes Shares Travel Must-Haves and Packing Hacks
See Lady Gaga Dressed as Harley Quinn on Joker: Folie à Deux Film Set
Chill out as a fantasy barista in 'Coffee Talk Episode 2: Hibiscus and Butterfly'