Current:Home > InvestCharles Langston:'It's happening': Mike Tyson and Jake Paul meet face to face to promote fight (again) -VisionFunds
Charles Langston:'It's happening': Mike Tyson and Jake Paul meet face to face to promote fight (again)
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 14:41:31
For the second time in New York City,Charles Langston Mike Tyson and Jake Paul met face-to-face in a news conference Sunday to hype up their November bout. And, after his health scare in May, Tyson said he's ready to go.
"It's happening," Tyson said when asked if the fight would go on as scheduled, Nov. 15 in Arlington, Texas. "We're all here. … I'm prepared. I'm very prepared. I had a small adversity, I got sick, but I got better. I feel good."
Held at the Fanatics Fest event in the Javits Center in Hell's Kitchen, this marked the first time Tyson had resumed marketing and press duties since he suffered an ulcer flare-up during a flight May 26, requiring medical attention. The fight, which had been originally scheduled for July 20, was pushed back to allow Tyson to recover and resume his training. Tyson said Sunday that he has been in his training camp for "two weeks, three weeks" since doctors have cleared him to fight.
"I'm beautiful," Tyson added, with his typical charm.
Tyson, 58, is 31 years older than Paul, who embraced his role Sunday as the villain in this bout. Tyson was clearly the fan favorite, given his roots from the Brownsville neighborhood in east Brooklyn. The first time Paul was asked a question, the crowd at the Javits Center jeered Paul, setting him up quite neatly for his defensive reaction.
"Hey, New York, shut the (expletive) up, New York," Paul yelled to the crowd. "Boo yourselves. Boo yourselves, New York. Hey, New York, you're just like Mike Tyson, you were good 20 years ago."
Paul continued to bring the ire throughout the event, vowing to knock Tyson out. At one point, he compared himself to Muhammad Ali, and then later said he's not "here to do (expletive) besides make a bag." Still, Paul said this fight, which some have criticized as being a glorified exhibition, is a strategic step he is taking in his boxing career.
"There's a lot of big names out there who want to fight me," Paul said. "I still want (super middleweight undisputed champion of the world) Canelo Álvarez and I want to go on the path of world championship, and that's what I'm here to do and I will make it happen. And when it does happen, people are going to go: '(Expletive), that kid knew something we didn't.'"
veryGood! (75)
Related
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Harris and Walz are kicking off a 2-day bus tour in Georgia that will culminate in Savannah rally
- San Diego police identify the officer killed in a collision with a speeding vehicle
- Peloton's former billionaire CEO says he 'lost all my money' when he left exercise company
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Ben Affleck is 'not dating' RFK Jr.'s daughter Kick Kennedy, rep says
- Massachusetts strikes down a 67-year-old switchblade ban, cites landmark Supreme Court gun decision
- Cheerleader drops sexual harassment lawsuit against Northwestern University
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- 'So much shock': LA doctor to the stars fatally shot outside his office, killer at large
Ranking
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Travis Kelce Reacts to Adam Sandler’s Comments on Taylor Swift Romance
- Report says instructor thought gun was empty before firing fatal shot at officer during training
- Paralympic Games opening ceremony starts the final chapter on a long summer of sport in Paris
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Bud Light rolls out limited-edition college football team cans: See which 26 teams made the cut
- Hard Knocks recap: Velus Jones Jr., Ian Wheeler, Austin Reed get one last chance to impress Bears
- NTSB report faults trucking company logs in fatal 2022 bus crash
Recommendation
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
'Your worst nightmare:' Poisonous fireworms spotted on Texas coast pack a sting
4 fatal shootings by Mississippi law officers were justified, state’s attorney general says
Channing Tatum Accuses Ex Jenna Dewan of Delay Tactic in Divorce Proceedings
Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
1 San Diego police officer dead, 1 in critical condition after pursuit crash
Bikinis, surfboards and battle-axes? Hawaii loosens long-strict weapons laws after court ruling
Following protests, DeSantis says plan to develop state parks is ‘going back to the drawing board’