Current:Home > FinanceSen. Tim Scott announces he's dropping out of 2024 presidential race -VisionFunds
Sen. Tim Scott announces he's dropping out of 2024 presidential race
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 13:03:15
Republican Senator Tim Scott of South Carolina announced Sunday he is dropping out of the 2024 presidential race.
Scott announced the unexpected decision, just two months shy of the Iowa caucuses, on Fox News' "Sunday Night In America with Trey Gowdy." His departure from the GOP race followed the abrupt cancellation of all his campaign stops in Iowa this weekend after he came down with the flu.
"I'm looking forward to getting back on the campaign trail without question. But when I go back to Iowa, it will not be as a presidential candidate. I am suspending my campaign," Scott told Fox News on Sunday.
Moments before Scott made his announcement, his campaign shared a fundraising email, asking voters to "contribute this weekend and support Tim in reaching his campaign goal."
"I think the voters, who have been the most remarkable people on the planet, have been really clear. They're telling me 'not now, Tim,'" Scott told Gowdy.
Scott said he currently has no intentions of endorsing another candidate. When questioned about the possibility of becoming a running mate, he stated, "I ran for president to be president. Being vice president has never been on my to-do list for this campaign."
Sources familiar with the campaign revealed that the announcement took many of Scott's staff members aback.
He made the announcement live on Fox News, then immediately held a call with his surprised campaign staff to inform them of his decision.
"It was a shock to nearly everyone on the campaign and most people found out in real time," one Scott campaign aide told CBS News.
A senior source close to Scott told CBS News, "Republicans are not ready yet for an optimistic conservative," adding, "He's a good guy; came into the race as a good guy and will leave as a good guy. His standing only improved. That's hard to do these days."
Scott shifted resources to Iowa as campaign sputtered
In recent months, Scott's campaign faced challenges gaining momentum. He narrowly met the qualifications for the third Republican debate just days before the deadline.
And despite logging the most speaking time among the candidates on stage, Scott's most viral moment occurred post-debate when voters were introduced to his previously undisclosed girlfriend for the first time.
In a recent CBS News/YouGov poll, Scott was only commanding consideration from about 4% of voters, putting him in a distant fifth place behind the frontrunner, former President Donald Trump.
Scott's decision to suspend his campaign comes in the wake of a substantial overhaul to his campaign strategy.
Last month, the candidate declared a strategic shift toward Iowa, doubling campaign staff in the Hawkeye state and vowing to visit every week leading up to the first caucus. The candidate said his efforts were meant to secure vital ground in the upcoming Republican primary.
Largely relying on his faith to court Iowans, the senator repeatedly stated that his campaign was "in it for the long haul," even after Trust in the Mission PAC, a super PAC that had supported Scott's campaign, decided to pull $40 million in TV ad spending for the candidate.
"We are doing what would be obvious in the business world but will mystify politicos — we aren't going to waste our money when the electorate isn't focused or ready for a Trump alternative," Rob Collins, co-chair of the super PAC, wrote at the time.
Despite facing challenges in polling, the candidate demonstrated fundraising strength, outpacing many 2024 GOP presidential contenders. Besides Trump, Scott boasts the most available cash on hand, totaling approximately $13.3 million, according to data from the Federal Elections Commission.
Republican candidates respond
Scott's Republican rivals immediately took to X, the website formerly known as Twitter, to wish the senator well following his announcement.
Former U.N. ambassador and former South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley wrote, "Tim Scott is a good man of faith and an inspiration to so many. The Republican primary was made better by his participation in it. South Carolina is blessed to continue to have him as our senator."
Also commending Scott for his leadership in the Senate, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis wrote, "Tim Scott is a strong conservative with bold ideas about how to get our country back on track. I respect his courage to run this campaign and thank him for his service to America and the U.S. Senate. I look forward to Tim continuing to be a leader in our party for years to come."
In a more playful tone while taking a shot at Haley, businessman Vivek Ramaswamy wrote, "Tim Scott strikes me as a good dude. I gave @SenatorTimScott a congratulatory 👊 on stage when the other South Carolinian shamelessly copied *exactly* what he said. Wishing Tim all the best back in the U.S. Senate. I'm hopeful we can convince him that more Ukraine aid is an awful idea for America…looked like he was slowly coming around last week, I was glad to see it."
Former N.J. Gov. Chris Christie, who's in Israel, wrote, ""Tim Scott is my friend. He was before, during and now after this race for President had concluded for him. @votetimscott is a man of integrity and honesty. Our country is better for his service in the United States Senate."
"I have always been a fan of Tim Scott. His departure from the race is a surprise and America will miss his hopeful message on our future. Despite our challenges, I share his optimistic view of our country and I will work hard to earn the support of his voters," Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson wrote.
North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum wrote, "Anyone who has the courage to stand in the arena deserves our gratitude. @votetimscott. Fought for the best of America. Kathryn and I wish nothing but the best for Tim!"
Former Vice President Mike Pence, the first of the GOP candidates to suspend his campaign, wrote, "Senator Tim Scott is a man of faith and integrity who brought his optimistic vision and inspiring personal story to people all across this country and he is my friend. I join millions in thanking @votetimscott for his principled leadership past, present and future and wish him every blessing as he continues to serve South Carolina and America for many years to come."
Trump did not immediately comment on Scott's decision to suspend his campaign.
-- Cristina Corujo, Nidia Cavazos, Aaron Navarro and Jake Rosen contributed reporting.
- In:
- Tim Scott
- Republican Party
Allison Novelo is a 2024 campaign reporter for CBS News.
TwitterveryGood! (6)
Related
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Woman gets probation for calling in hoax bomb threat at Boston Children’s Hospital
- Team USA Basketball Showcase highlights: US squeaks past Germany in final exhibition game
- Missing Arizona woman and her alleged stalker found dead in car: 'He scared her'
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Sam Smith couldn't walk for a month after a skiing accident: 'I was an idiot'
- A man suspected of shooting a Tennessee Highway Patrol trooper is arrested in Kentucky
- Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively Reveal Name of Baby No. 4
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Rachel Lindsay’s Ex Bryan Abasolo Details Their “Tough” Fertility Journey
Ranking
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2024: The Best Deals on Accessories From Celine, Dagne Dover, Coach & More
- How Benny Blanco Celebrated Hottest Chick Selena Gomez on 32nd Birthday
- Florida’s population passes 23 million for the first time due to residents moving from other states
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Sam Smith couldn't walk for a month after a skiing accident: 'I was an idiot'
- Nordstrom Beauty Director Autumne West Shares Deals That Will Sell Out, Must-Haves & Trend Predictions
- FBI says man, woman may be linked to six human-caused wildfires in southern New Mexico
Recommendation
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
Love Island USA’s Kordell and Serena React to His Brother Odell Beckham Jr. “Geeking” Over Their Romance
Is Kamala Harris going to be president? 'The Simpsons' writer reacts to viral 'prediction'
Score 75% Off Urban Outfitters, 50% Off Ulta, 65% Off Sur La Table & Today's Best Deals
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
Blake Lively Quips She’d Be an “A--hole” If She Did This
US Sen. Bob Menendez of New Jersey is resigning from office following his corruption conviction
Police kill armed man outside of New Hampshire home after standoff, authorities say