Current:Home > StocksPrince Harry ordered to pay Daily Mail publisher legal fees for failed court challenge -VisionFunds
Prince Harry ordered to pay Daily Mail publisher legal fees for failed court challenge
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 13:23:27
LONDON (AP) — A judge ordered Prince Harry on Monday to pay nearly 50,000 pounds (more than $60,000) in legal fees to the publisher of the Daily Mail tabloid for his failed court challenge in a libel lawsuit.
The Duke of Sussex is suing Associated Newspapers Ltd. over an article that said Harry tried to hide his efforts to retain publicly funded protection in the U.K. after leaving his role as a working member of the royal family.
Justice Matthew Nicklin ruled Friday in the High Court in London that the publisher has a “real prospect” of showing that statements issued on Harry’s behalf were misleading and that the February 2022 article reflected an “honest opinion” and wasn’t libelous.
“The defendant may well submit that this was a masterclass in the art of ‘spinning,’” Nicklin wrote, in refusing to strike the honest opinion defense.
Harry has claimed the article was “fundamentally inaccurate” and the newspaper defamed him when it suggested he lied in his initial public statements over efforts to challenge the government’s decision to strip him of his security detail after he and his family moved to the U.S. in 2020.
Harry, 39, the younger son of King Charles III, also has a lawsuit pending against the government’s decision to protect him on a case-by-case basis when he visits Britain. He claims that hostility toward him and his wife on social media and relentless hounding by the news media threaten their safety.
Nicklin said a libel trial lasting three to four days will be scheduled between May 17 and July 31.
The 48,447 pounds ($60,927) in legal fees Harry was ordered to pay by Dec. 29 is likely to be dwarfed by the amount paid to lawyers in another lawsuit the duke has brought against the publisher.
Associated Newspapers is one of three British tabloid publishers he’s suing over claims they used unlawful means, such as deception, phone hacking or hiring private investigators, to try to dig up dirt on him.
The Mail publisher failed last month in its bid to throw out that lawsuit, though it prevailed in getting some evidence barred from trial. Nicklin — who is also hearing that case — is considering what to award in lawyer’s costs for each party’s respective wins.
Harry and co-claimants that include Elton John and Elizabeth Hurley said they spent 1.7 million ($2.1 million) to prepare for and argue their case at a hearing over several days in March. The publisher, meanwhile, is seeking up to 755,000 pounds ($949,000).
___
Follow the AP’s coverage of Prince Harry at https://apnews.com/hub/prince-harry
veryGood! (487)
Related
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- New Orleans civil rights icon Tessie Prevost dead at 69
- More money could result in fewer trips to ER, study suggests
- Hyundai, Chrysler, Porsche, BMW among 94K vehicles recalled: Check car recalls here
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- John Harbaugh says Lamar Jackson will go down as 'greatest quarterback' in NFL history
- Hyundai, Chrysler, Porsche, BMW among 94K vehicles recalled: Check car recalls here
- Kyle Larson wins NASCAR Brickyard 400: Results, recap, highlights of Indianapolis race
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- JD Vance makes solo debut as GOP vice presidential candidate with Monday rallies in Virginia, Ohio
Ranking
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Mark Hamill praises Joe Biden after dropping reelection bid: 'Thank you for your service'
- National bail fund returns to Georgia after judge says limits were arbitrary
- Who could replace Joe Biden as the 2024 Democratic nominee?
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Charmed's Holly Marie Combs Reveals Shannen Doherty Promised to Haunt Her After Death
- Bernice Johnson Reagon, whose powerful voice helped propel the Civil Rights Movement, has died
- Video tutorial: How to react to iMessages using emojis
Recommendation
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
San Antonio church leaders train to serve as mental health counselors
Stop taking selfies with 'depressed' bear, Florida sheriff's office tells drivers
We Tried the 2024 Olympics Anti-Sex Bed—& the Results May Shock You
Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
Mark Hamill praises Joe Biden after dropping reelection bid: 'Thank you for your service'
Jennifer Lopez Celebrates 55th Birthday at Bridgerton-Themed Party
Seven people wounded by gunfire during a large midnight gathering in Anderson, Indiana