Current:Home > ScamsTikTok compares itself to foreign-owned American news outlets as it fights forced sale or ban -VisionFunds
TikTok compares itself to foreign-owned American news outlets as it fights forced sale or ban
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 18:35:07
TikTok on Thursday pushed back against U.S. government arguments that the popular social media platform is not shielded by the First Amendment, comparing its platform to prominent American media organizations owned by foreign entities.
Last month, the Justice Department argued in a legal brief filed in a Washington federal appeals court that neither TikTok’s China-based parent company, ByteDance, nor the platform’s global and U.S. arms — TikTok Ltd. and TikTok Inc. — were entitled to First Amendment protections because they are “foreign organizations operating abroad” or owned by one.
TikTok attorneys have made the First Amendment a key part of their legal challenge to the federal law requiring ByteDance to sell TikTok to an approved buyer or face a ban.
On Thursday, they argued in a court document that TikTok’s U.S. arm doesn’t forfeit its constitutional rights because it is owned by a foreign entity. They drew a parallel between TikTok and well-known news outlets such as Politico and Business Insider, both of which are owned by German publisher Axel Springer SE. They also cited Fortune, a business magazine owned by Thai businessman Chatchaval Jiaravanon.
“Surely the American companies that publish Politico, Fortune, and Business Insider do not lose First Amendment protection because they have foreign ownership,” the TikTok attorneys wrote, arguing that “no precedent” supports what they called “the government’s dramatic rewriting of what counts as protected speech.”
In a redacted court filing made last month, the Justice Department argued ByteDance and TikTok haven’t raised valid free speech claims in their challenge against the law, saying the measure addresses national security concerns about TikTok’s ownership without targeting protected speech.
The Biden administration and TikTok had held talks in recent years aimed at resolving the government’s concerns. But the two sides failed to reach a deal.
TikTok said the government essentially walked away from the negotiating table after it proposed a 90-page agreement that detailed how the company planned to address concerns about the app while still maintaining ties with ByteDance.
However, the Justice Department has said TikTok’s proposal “failed to create sufficient separation between the company’s U.S. operations and China” and did not adequately address some of the government’s concerns.
The government has pointed to some data transfers between TikTok employees and ByteDance engineers in China as why it believed the proposal, called Project Texas, was not sufficient to guard against national security concerns. Federal officials have also argued that the size and scope of TikTok would have made it impossible to meaningfully enforce compliance with the proposal.
TikTok attorneys said Thursday that some of what the government views as inadequacies of the agreement were never raised during the negotiations.
Separately the DOJ on Thursday evening asked the court to submit evidence under seal, saying in a filing that the case contained information classified at “Top Secret” levels. TikTok has been opposing those requests.
Oral arguments in the case are scheduled to begin on Sept. 16.
veryGood! (4358)
Related
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Michigan coach Sherrone Moore in no rush to name starting quarterback
- West Virginia official quits over conflict of interest allegations; interim chief named
- Inside Christian McCaffrey’s Winning Formula: Motivation, Focus & Recovery
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- An 11-year-old Virginia boy is charged with making swatting calls to Florida schools
- Hawaii businessman to forfeit more than $20 million in assets after conviction, jury rules
- Brittany Aldean Slams Maren Morris’ “Pro-Woman Bulls--t” Stance Amid Feud
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Aaron Boone, Yankees' frustration mounts after Subway Series sweep by Mets
Ranking
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Daughter of late Supreme Court Justice Scalia appointed to Virginia Board of Education
- Rob Lowe’s Son John Owen Shares Why He Had a Mental Breakdown While Working With His Dad
- Remains identified of Wisconsin airman who died during World War II bombing mission over Germany
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Rachael Leigh Cook and Freddie Prinze Jr.’s Iconic Reunion Really Is All That
- Daughter of late Supreme Court Justice Scalia appointed to Virginia Board of Education
- Taylor Swift Reveals She's the Godmother of Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds' Kids
Recommendation
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Pregnant Georgia teen's ex-boyfriend charged with murder in connection to her death
Watch: Trail cam captures bear cubs wrestling, playing in California pond
Justice Kagan says there needs to be a way to enforce the US Supreme Court’s new ethics code
What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
Ice Spice Details Hysterically Crying After Learning of Taylor Swift's Karma Collab Offer
San Diego Padres in playoff hunt despite trading superstar Juan Soto: 'Vibes are high'
Uvalde school police officer pleads not guilty to charges stemming from actions during 2022 shooting