Current:Home > ContactIndexbit-Israeli forces kill at least 8 Palestinians in surging West Bank violence, health officials say -VisionFunds
Indexbit-Israeli forces kill at least 8 Palestinians in surging West Bank violence, health officials say
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 12:47:15
TEL AVIV,Indexbit Israel (AP) — Israeli forces operating in the occupied West Bank killed at least eight Palestinians in a 24-hour period, Palestinian health officials said Sunday, as a fragile pause in fighting between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza Strip entered its third day.
Violence in the West Bank has surged in the weeks since Hamas attacked Israel on Oct. 7, setting off a devastating war in the Gaza Strip. Israeli forces have killed dozens of Palestinians and arrested hundreds in the West Bank. Jewish West Bank settlers have also stepped up attacks.
The Palestinian Health Ministry said that five Palestinians were killed in the militant stronghold Jenin, while three others were killed in separate areas of the West Bank since Saturday morning. One of those killed, in al-Bireh in the central West Bank, was a teenager, the ministry said.
The Israeli military said forces entered the Jenin refugee camp to arrest a Palestinian suspected of killing an Israeli father and son at a West Bank car wash earlier in the year. In its statement Sunday, the military made no mention of clashes, nor of the Palestinian deaths, but said forces were still operating in the area.
The official Palestinian news agency Wafa said Israeli snipers were positioned on roofs and that military bulldozers were damaging roads and infrastructure. The reports could not immediately be independently verified.
In its bid to pursue militants, Israel clamped down on the West Bank immediately after the Hamas assault, closing crossings and checkpoints between Palestinian towns.
The intensified violence in the territory follows more than a year of escalating raids and arrests in the West Bank and deadly Palestinian attacks on Israelis. Before the Hamas assault, 2023 already was the deadliest year for Palestinians in the West Bank in over two decades.
Israel and Hamas have briefly halted fire to allow for more aid to enter Gaza and permit a hostage release in exchange for Palestinian prisoners held by Israel. The Israeli offensive has killed more than 13,300 Palestinians, according to the Health Ministry in the Hamas-run Gaza government, which does not differentiate between civilians and combatants. Vast swaths of the Gaza Strip have been flattened and some 1.7 million Palestinians have fled their homes.
In last month’s surprise attack, Hamas and other Gaza militants killed some 1,200 people in Israel and took about 240 hostage. Several dozen soldiers have been killed since Israel began its ground invasion into Gaza shortly after the attack.
Israel captured the West Bank, along with the Gaza Strip and east Jerusalem, in the 1967 Mideast war. The Palestinians seek those territories as part of their hoped-for independent state.
___
Associated Press writer Samy Magdy contributed to this report from Cairo.
veryGood! (2768)
Related
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- 'It couldn't have come at a better time': Michigan family wins $150,000 Powerball jackpot
- Russia raises key interest rate again as inflation and exchange rate worries continue
- Striking Hollywood writers, studios to resume negotiations next week
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Baby and dog die after being left in car for 6 hours in Virginia, sheriff says; woman arrested
- Why Demi Lovato Felt She Was in Walking Coma Years After Her Near-Fatal 2018 Overdose
- Aaron Rodgers speaks out for first time since his season-ending injury: I shall rise yet again
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- 'I'm a grown man': Deion Sanders fires back at Colorado State coach Jay Norvell's glasses remark
Ranking
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Hurricane Lee to strike weather-worn New England after heavy rain, flooding and tornadoes
- Around 3,000 jobs at risk at UK’s biggest steelworks despite government-backed package of support
- Dominican Republic to close all borders despite push to resolve diplomatic crisis
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Children's water beads activity kits sold at Target voluntarily recalled due to ingestion, choking risks
- Venice won't be listed as one of the world's most endangered sites
- China is sending Vice President Han Zheng to represent the country at UN General Assembly session
Recommendation
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
New rules for repurposed WWII-era duck boats aim to improve safety on 16 in use after drownings
On 60th anniversary of church bombing, victim’s sister, suspect’s daughter urge people to stop hate
How Lehman's collapse 15 years ago changed the U.S. mortgage industry
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Miami city commissioner charged with bribery and money laundering
Spain’s women’s team is still in revolt one day before the new coach names her Nations League squad
Libya flooding deaths top 11,000 with another 10,000 missing