Current:Home > ScamsEthermac|Israelis search for loved ones with posts and pleas on social media -VisionFunds
Ethermac|Israelis search for loved ones with posts and pleas on social media
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:42:48
In the hours following an unprecedented,Ethermac multi-front attack on Israel by the Palestinian Hamas militant group in the Gaza Strip on Saturday, Israelis searched for loved ones with posts and pleas on social media.
Posts have flooded a Facebook group set up for Israelis who might be missing in the aftermath of the attacks. Family members post photos with a description of who is missing and the last time they have heard from their loved ones. One poster wrote in Hebrew, "Tamar...is nowhere to be found," and, "If anyone has any info please update me urgently!"
Another poster wrote that she was looking for her brother Sharon. She wrote, "Please help me guys!"
Another wrote they were looking for their beloved daughter Noam, who was on the phone at 8:30 a.m. in the morning when gunshots started.
Another was looking for her son Raz; the mother wrote she hadn't heard from him since the morning.
One poster said her friends Yuval and Moshe were missing and "she begs them to talk to me."
Over 700 Israeli civilians and members of the military have been killed, and 2,150 have been wounded, in the Hamas militant group's incursion in southern Israel, Israeli officials said.
"And these are not the final figures," said Jonathan Conricus, an Israel Defense Forces spokesperson late Saturday night during a live update on X, the social media site formerly known as Twitter.
The death toll makes it the deadliest attack in Israel in decades. The Israeli military confirmed Saturday that Hamas militants are holding Israeli civilians and soldiers hostage in Gaza. The military did not say how many hostages were seized, but their capture marks a major escalation in the fighting.
Many of the photos posted are of young Israelis attending a party near Kibbutz Re'im in Southern Israel. The Associated Press and Israeli media outlets reported that hundreds of terrified young people who had been dancing at the rave fled for their lives after Hamas militants entered the area and began firing at them.
One attendee, Esther Borochov, told Reuters that she had to play dead until she was rescued by Israeli soldiers.
International soccer star Lior Assolin was among those murdered at the party, Hapoel Tel Aviv Football Club where he previously played, confirmed on X.
Haaretz, one of Israel's largest newspapers, described the scene as a "massacre" and a "battlefield," and reported that terrorists on motorcycles drove into the crowd "opening fire."
The Israeli rescue service Zaka said its paramedics removed about 260 bodies from the area where the music festival had been taking place, the Associated Press reported Sunday. The total figure is expected to be higher as other paramedic teams were working in the area.
Saturday, when the surprise attack took place, was Simchat Torah, a normally joyous day when Jews complete the annual cycle of reading the Torah scroll, and many Israelis were celebrating.
Handwritten lists and Google documents with names and descriptions of missing Israelis appeared on social media, but those lists have not been verified.
One poster wrote, "The hours keep passing and not a single word of our people."
- In:
- Hamas
- Israel
Cara Tabachnick is a news editor for CBSNews.com. Contact her at [email protected]
veryGood! (14274)
Related
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Jo Koy ready to fulfill childhood dream of hosting Golden Globes with hopes of leaving positive mark
- Do 'Home Town' stars Erin, Ben Napier think about retiring? Their answer, and design advice
- 'Love is Blind' contestant Renee Poche sues Netflix, says she 'felt like a prisoner' while filming show
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Christopher Nolan recalls Peloton instructor's harsh 'Tenet' review: 'What was going on?'
- San Quentin project’s $360 million price tag should be slashed, governor’s advisory group says
- A magnitude 4.1 earthquake shakes a wide area of Southern California, no injuries reported
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Florida can import prescription drugs from Canada, US regulators say
Ranking
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- David Soul, of TV's 'Starsky and Hutch,' dies at 80
- Actor Christian Oliver Shared Photo From Paradise 3 Days Before Fatal Plane Crash
- Actor Christian Oliver and 2 young daughters killed in Caribbean plane crash
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Justice Department sues Texas over state's new border security law
- Nigel Lythgoe stepping aside as ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ judge after sexual assault allegations
- San Quentin project’s $360 million price tag should be slashed, governor’s advisory group says
Recommendation
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
Hezbollah leader says his group must retaliate for suspected Israeli strike in Beirut
Texas father and son arrested in the killings of a pregnant woman and her boyfriend face new charges
What is the 75 Hard challenge? The weight loss, mental wellness program explained
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Stars converge in Palm Springs to celebrate year’s best films and Emma Stone’s career
California hires guards to monitor businessman’s other sites under I-10 after freeway fire
Maui’s mayor says Lahaina debris site will be used temporarily until a permanent spot is found