Current:Home > MyCharles Langston:New York officials to release new renderings of possible Gilgo Beach victim -VisionFunds
Charles Langston:New York officials to release new renderings of possible Gilgo Beach victim
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 11:56:58
BRENTWOOD,Charles Langston N.Y. (AP) — Law enforcement officials are set to release new information Monday about one of the victims whose remains were found along a coastal highway in New York’s Long Island more than a decade ago, a string of deaths known as the Gilgo Beach killings.
Suffolk County District Attorney Raymond Tierney said in a statement that the task force investigating the killings will also discuss other developments in the yearslong investigation.
Spokespersons for Tierney’s office did not respond to emails and calls seeking additional information over the weekend.
Tierney told Newsday that among the things the office will discuss are new, more detailed renderings of a male of Asian descent whose remains were found off Ocean Parkway in 2011.
Investigators have said they believe the unidentified man died five to 10 years earlier.
They say he was likely in his late teens or early 20s, was about 5 feet 6 inches (170 centimers) tall and had close-cropped hair. The victim was dressed in women’s clothing and may have been a sex worker, officials said at the time.
Officials will publish renderings of what he may have looked like that were made through anthropological reconstruction, Newsday reported. The hope is they may generate new leads.
Local officials released a more basic sketch of the victim back in 2011.
DNA records from Asian people is less common in U.S. genetic databases, making it difficult to compare and identify the remains through traditional methods, according to Tierney.
“We’re hoping maybe someone will remember a person who looked like him that disappeared in the time frame when he died,” he told Newsday.
No one has been charged in the death. A local architect is accused in the killings of six women, some of whose remains were found near the unidentified man’s.
Rex Heuermann, 61, was arraigned in June in connection with the deaths of two young women long believed to have been preyed upon as sex workers.
The charges came after recent police searches of Heuermann’s home and a wooded area on Long Island.
Jessica Taylor disappeared in 2003 and Sandra Costilla was killed 30 years ago, in 1993.
Costilla’s inclusion in the case indicates prosecutors now believe Heuermann was killing women far longer than previously thought.
Heuermann was previously charged with killing four others: Megan Waterman, Melissa Barthelemy, Amber Lynn Costello and Maureen Brainard-Barnes.
Since late 2010, police have been investigating the deaths of at least 10 people — mostly female sex workers — whose remains were discovered along an isolated highway near Gilgo Beach.
Heuermann, who lived across the bay, was arrested last July.
He has pleaded not guilty and his attorney, Michael Brown, did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment over the weekend.
veryGood! (88977)
Related
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Feds search Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs’ properties as part of sex trafficking probe, AP sources say
- Kentucky women's basketball names Virginia Tech's Kenny Brooks as new head coach
- Charges dropped against Long Island nurse accused of slamming 2-day-old infant into a bassinet
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- The long struggle to free Evan Gershkovich from a Moscow prison
- Bill that would have placed the question of abortion access before Louisiana voters fails
- Alaska governor plans to sign bill aimed at increasing download speeds for rural schools
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- U.S. charges Chinese nationals in hacking scheme targeting politicians, businesses
Ranking
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signs social media ban for minors as legal fight looms
- How Suni Lee Practices Self Care As She Heads Into 2024 Paris Olympics
- TEA Business College leads market excellence strategy
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Kentucky women's basketball names Virginia Tech's Kenny Brooks as new head coach
- Men described as Idaho prison gang members appear in court on hospital ambush and escape charges
- Strippers’ bill of rights bill signed into law in Washington state
Recommendation
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
Timeline of the Assange legal saga as he faces further delay in bid to avoid extradition to the US
Milk from sick dairy cattle in 2 states test positive for bird flu: What to know
The Bachelor Status Check: Joey Graziadei Isn't the Only Lead to Find His Perfect Match
Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
Russia observes national day of mourning as concert hall attack death toll climbs to 137
Virginia Democrats launch their own budget tour to push back on Youngkin’s criticisms
Georgia officials pushing to study another deepening of Savannah’s harbor gets a key endorsemen