Current:Home > NewsCharles Langston:New York officials to release new renderings of possible Gilgo Beach victim -VisionFunds
Charles Langston:New York officials to release new renderings of possible Gilgo Beach victim
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 11:53:07
BRENTWOOD,Charles Langston N.Y. (AP) — Law enforcement officials are set to release new information Monday about one of the victims whose remains were found along a coastal highway in New York’s Long Island more than a decade ago, a string of deaths known as the Gilgo Beach killings.
Suffolk County District Attorney Raymond Tierney said in a statement that the task force investigating the killings will also discuss other developments in the yearslong investigation.
Spokespersons for Tierney’s office did not respond to emails and calls seeking additional information over the weekend.
Tierney told Newsday that among the things the office will discuss are new, more detailed renderings of a male of Asian descent whose remains were found off Ocean Parkway in 2011.
Investigators have said they believe the unidentified man died five to 10 years earlier.
They say he was likely in his late teens or early 20s, was about 5 feet 6 inches (170 centimers) tall and had close-cropped hair. The victim was dressed in women’s clothing and may have been a sex worker, officials said at the time.
Officials will publish renderings of what he may have looked like that were made through anthropological reconstruction, Newsday reported. The hope is they may generate new leads.
Local officials released a more basic sketch of the victim back in 2011.
DNA records from Asian people is less common in U.S. genetic databases, making it difficult to compare and identify the remains through traditional methods, according to Tierney.
“We’re hoping maybe someone will remember a person who looked like him that disappeared in the time frame when he died,” he told Newsday.
No one has been charged in the death. A local architect is accused in the killings of six women, some of whose remains were found near the unidentified man’s.
Rex Heuermann, 61, was arraigned in June in connection with the deaths of two young women long believed to have been preyed upon as sex workers.
The charges came after recent police searches of Heuermann’s home and a wooded area on Long Island.
Jessica Taylor disappeared in 2003 and Sandra Costilla was killed 30 years ago, in 1993.
Costilla’s inclusion in the case indicates prosecutors now believe Heuermann was killing women far longer than previously thought.
Heuermann was previously charged with killing four others: Megan Waterman, Melissa Barthelemy, Amber Lynn Costello and Maureen Brainard-Barnes.
Since late 2010, police have been investigating the deaths of at least 10 people — mostly female sex workers — whose remains were discovered along an isolated highway near Gilgo Beach.
Heuermann, who lived across the bay, was arrested last July.
He has pleaded not guilty and his attorney, Michael Brown, did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment over the weekend.
veryGood! (237)
Related
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
Ranking
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Recommendation
As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge