Current:Home > MarketsRekubit-9 years after mine spill in northern Mexico, new report gives locals hope for long-awaited cleanup -VisionFunds
Rekubit-9 years after mine spill in northern Mexico, new report gives locals hope for long-awaited cleanup
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 12:21:43
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Nine years after a massive waste spill from a copper mine in the northern Mexican border state of Sonora,Rekubit locals are still suffering from “alarming” levels of soil, air and water pollution, Mexico’s Environment Department said Thursday.
Summarizing a 239-page report, officials also confirmed, using satellite images, that the spill was not solely caused by dramatic rainfall, as was initially reported, but by the “inadequate design” of a dam at Buenavista del Cobre mine, owned by the country’s largest copper producer, Grupo México.
Locals and environmental advocates say the report offers the clearest view yet of the catastrophic scale of the accident and, with it, new hope that Grupo México may finally be held financially accountable after almost a decade of legal battles and broken promises.
“We expect that, with this new document, we’ll have an easy path for getting the money,” said Luis Franco, a community coordinator with regional advocacy group PODER. “At the moment, I’m happy but at the same time I know this is just the beginning for the people of Sonora,” he said. “We have to keep fighting.”
On Aug. 6, 2014, after heavy rainfall, 10 million gallons (40 million liters) of acidified copper sulfate flooded from a waste reservoir at Buenavista mine into the Sonora and Bacanuchi rivers, just under 62 miles (100 kilometers) from the border city of Nogales, Sonora.
After the spill, Grupo México first agreed to give 1.2 billion pesos (about $68 million) to a recovery fund, but in 2017 that trust was closed and the remaining funds returned to the mining company, PODER claims. After a legal battle, the trust was reopened three years later but, said Franco, without any new funding.
Mexico’s environmental secretary María Luisa Albores González insisted Thursday during a news briefing that the report was solely “technical,” not “ideological,” but added that the trust would remain open until 2026.
“We in this institution do not accept said trust is closed,” said Albores González.
In another report earlier this year Mexico’s National Institute of Ecology and Climate Change calculated the total cost of the spill at over 20 billion pesos ($1.1 billion), more than 16 times the size of the original support fund.
“Under no circumstances” have locals been given enough money to recover, according to the report. “Neither the amount paid for the fine, nor the compensation given to the Sonora River Trust cover the direct, indirect or cumulative effects on the population, the ecosystem or the economy.”
The initial fund promised to open 36 water treatment stations and a toxicology clinic. But according to the Sonora River Basin Committees, a group of locals from the eight polluted townships, only one water station is open and the clinic has long been abandoned.
Unsafe levels of arsenic, lead and mercury have been recorded across over 250 square kilometers (94 square miles) around the spill. Across the Sonoran townships of Ures, Arizpe, Baviácora, Aconchi, Banamichi, Cananea, Huépac and San Felipe de Jesús, locals have complained of health risks and decreased productivity in their farms and ranches.
In what officials described as one of their most “alarming” findings, 93% of soil samples from the city of Cananea did not meet international requirements for arsenic levels.
Adrián Pedrozo Acuña, director general for the Mexican Institute for Water Technology, said the pollution had also impacted the region’s drinking water. “The results presented here show very clearly that there is a safety or health problem in the water the population consumes,” he said.
Franco, who lives in the nearby city of Hermosillo, said this brings the most urgency for communities in which many cannot afford to buy bottled water.
Since the spill, Buenavista del Cobre has continued to operate — and grown in size. In the years immediately before the accident production increased threefold, according to Pedrozo. By 2020 it had grown half as big again, in what he described as “chronic overexploitation” of the area’s water supplies.
____
Follow AP’s climate coverage at: https://apnews.com/hub/climate-and-environment
veryGood! (2195)
Related
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- 'Star Wars' Red Leader X-wing model heads a cargo bay's worth of props at auction
- Michigan Catholic group wins zoning fight over display of Stations of the Cross
- Colorado deputies who tased a man multiple times are fired following an investigation
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- What causes an earthquake? Here are the different types of earthquakes, and why they occur
- Novak Djokovic Honors Kobe Bryant in Heartfelt Speech After US Open Win
- Powerball jackpot grows to $500M after no winner Wednesday. See winning numbers for Sept. 9
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Japanese companies drop stars of scandal-tainted Johnny’s entertainment company
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- In Iran, snap checkpoints and university purges mark the first anniversary of Mahsa Amini protests
- Hurricane Lee's projected path to bring big surf, dangerous currents to US East Coast
- Apple event 2023: iPhone 15, AirPods, Apple Watch rumors ahead of Tuesday's event
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Falling lifeguard stand kills sleeping 28-year-old woman in Virginia
- MTV Video Music Awards return Tuesday, with an all-female artist of the year category
- Elon Musk’s refusal to have Starlink support Ukraine attack in Crimea raises questions for Pentagon
Recommendation
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Thousands dead in Moroccan earthquake, 22 years since 9/11 attacks: 5 Things podcast
Sentencing delayed for a New Hampshire man convicted of running an unlicensed bitcoin business
When is 'AGT' on? How to vote for finalists; where to watch 2023 live shows
All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
US sets record for expensive weather disasters in a year -- with four months yet to go
Troy Aikman, Joe Buck to make history on MNF, surpassing icons Pat Summerall and John Madden
Man convicted of murder in 1993 gets new trial after key evidence called into question