Current:Home > StocksRape survivor and activist sues ex-Michigan State coach Mel Tucker for defamation -VisionFunds
Rape survivor and activist sues ex-Michigan State coach Mel Tucker for defamation
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 13:23:21
One year ago, Michigan State University fired head football coach Mel Tucker amid allegations that he sexually harassed a rape survivor he had hired to teach his players about sexual assault prevention. On Friday, that woman filed a lawsuit against him for defamation.
Brenda Tracy, whose gut-wrenching story of being gang-raped by college football players in 1998 catapulted her to an activism career and national fame, alleges in a 30-page lawsuit that Tucker permanently tarnished her good name and reputation by claiming they developed a mutual romance.
Her lawsuit, filed in Ingham County Circuit Court in Michigan, seeks a jury trial and unspecified damages. No dollar amount was given.
Tucker and his attorneys did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Karen Truszkowski, Tracy’s attorney, said in a statement: “The lawsuit speaks for itself.” She and Tracy declined to comment further.
Tracy says in the lawsuit that she lost future earnings and suffered psychologically and emotionally because of Tucker’s false statements, including his claims that she made up the allegations in a plot to extort him and the school for money. Among other counts, the lawsuit accuses him of breach of contract, stealing her business records and fraudulently accessing her email and personal accounts.
Tracy filed a complaint with Michigan State’s Title IX office in December 2022 alleging that Tucker made a series of unwelcome sexual advances over the course of their yearlong business partnership, culminating in an April 2022 phone call in which he masturbated without her consent. As his defense, Tucker told MSU’s outside investigator that he and Tracy engaged in a one-time instance of consensual phone sex.
For eight months, MSU’s Title IX office quietly investigated Tracy’s complaint, while Tucker continued to coach the Spartans football team. The case spilled into public view in September 2023, shortly after Tucker led MSU to its second win of the season. Tracy gave USA TODAY access to her 1,200-page case file, which the news organization used to break the news with her permission.
Hours after the story published, Michigan State athletic director Alan Haller and then-interim President Teresa Woodruff held an emergency press conference in which they announced Tucker would be suspended without pay for the remainder of the campus case. They said they had known the Title IX office was investigating a complaint against Tucker but did not know the details until reading them in USA TODAY.
A week later, Haller notified Tucker of his intent to fire him for cause, cancelling the roughly $75 million left on the record 10-year contract extension Tucker had signed less than two years earlier. Even Tucker’s version of events – that he and Tracy had been engaged in a romantic relationship – constituted a fireable offense, Haller wrote in his termination letter.
“It is decidedly unprofessional and unethical to flirt, make sexual comments, and masturbate while on the phone with a University vendor,” the letter said. “Your unconvincing rationalizations and misguided attempts to shift responsibility cannot and do not excuse your own behavior.”
The university officially fired Tucker on Sept. 27, capping his stunning fall as one of the highest-paid coaches in all of sports. Meanwhile, the campus investigation moved forward.
MSU held a hearing in the case on Oct. 5. Instead of showing up, Tucker, his attorney, Jennifer Belveal, and his agent, Neil Cornrich, sent the media and MSU’s Board of Trustees a 106-page letter claiming they had obtained “new evidence” proving that Tracy falsely accused him in a money grab.
The press release contained 98 pages of heavily redacted text messages they had obtained from the cell phone of Tracy’s longtime friend and business manager, who died that summer in a car crash. Among other things, the messages showed Tracy had consensually dated a basketball coach who had hired her years prior and that she was struggling financially at the time she filed her complaint with MSU.
In her lawsuit, Tracy says Tucker released the information 14 minutes into the hearing "knowing that Tracy and her counsel would be taken by surprise and not able to respond."
"Tucker sandbagged Tracy in an egregious attempt to publicly humiliate her," the lawsuit says.
Tracy obtained an emergency restraining order the next day, barring Tucker and his associates from releasing more of the messages, which she alleged he obtained illegally. An Ingham County judge dismissed that lawsuit earlier this year.
Several experts told USA TODAY the text messages were largely irrelevant. Outside attorneys hired by the university later concurred.
In a decision issued on Oct. 25, Virginia-based Title IX attorney Amanda Norris Ames concluded that Tucker sexually harassed and exploited Tracy on multiple occasions before, during and after the now-famous April 2022 phone call. Tucker’s repeated contradictory statements to the investigator, Ames determined, made his account difficult to believe.
A separate outside appeal officer hired by MSU denied Tucker’s appeal in January, affirming Ames’ decision that Tracy’s account was more plausible, consistent and supported by the evidence than his. MSU permanently banned Tucker from future employment.
Tucker filed a lawsuit against MSU in July, alleging the university wrongfully terminated him, defamed him and discriminated against him based on his race. He alleged the school conducted an “improper, biased and sham investigation” designed to fire him. His attorney, Rita Glavin, said in a statement that MSU’s “conduct was not only shameful, it was illegal.” That lawsuit is ongoing.
Among Tucker's allegedly defamatory claims about Tracy, Tucker claimed that Tracy told him she "wanted a sugar daddy" to pay her $4,000 per month to be his girlfriend, and that she only filed a complaint against him because MSU refused to give her monetary compensation. He also alleged that she sent him a "provocative picture" that prompted him to start masturbating during the April 2022 phone call. He said that the photo showed Tracy wearing "tight leather pants."
Tracy included that photo as part of her lawsuit. It shows her and Tucker standing several feet apart inside the MSU football administration building on the day of one of her two visits to the MSU campus at Tucker's behest, for the spring football game in which Tucker made her an honorary captain.
In the photo, she is fully clothed, wearing a long-sleeved black T-shirt and loose black athleisure pants – the same outfit she wore when she stood at the 20-yard line in Spartan Stadium as she was honored on the jumbotron.
Kenny Jacoby is an investigative reporter for USA TODAY covering sexual harassment and violence and Title IX. Contact him by email at [email protected] or follow him on X @kennyjacoby.
veryGood! (42768)
Related
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- A quiet Dutch village holds clues as European politics veer to the right
- North Korean foreign minister visits Moscow for talks as concern grows over an alleged arms deal
- When Abbott Elementary, Bridgerton and More of Your Favorite TV Shows Return in 2024
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Critics Choice Awards 2024 Red Carpet Fashion: See Every Look as the Stars Arrive
- Horoscopes Today, January 13, 2024
- How the Bizarre Cult of Mother God Ended With Amy Carlson's Mummified Corpse
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Taylor Swift braves subzero temps to support Chiefs in playoff game against Dolphins
Ranking
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- MVP catcher Joe Mauer is looking like a Hall of Fame lock
- Former high-ranking Philadelphia police commander to be reinstated after arbitrator’s ruling
- 2 Navy SEALs missing after falling into water during mission off Somalia's coast
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Migrant deaths in Rio Grande intensify tensions between Texas, Biden administration over crossings
- The world could get its first trillionaire within 10 years, anti-poverty group Oxfam says
- Packers vs. Cowboys highlights: How Green Bay rolled to stunning beatdown over Dallas
Recommendation
All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
King Frederik X visits Danish parliament on his first formal work day as Denmark’s new monarch
NFL wild-card playoff winners, losers from Sunday: Long-suffering Lions party it up
Taylor Swift braves subzero temps to support Chiefs in playoff game against Dolphins
Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
Joseph Zadroga, advocate for 9/11 first responders, killed in parking lot accident, police say
Mega Millions now at $187 million ahead of January 12 drawing. See the winning numbers.
'The Honeymooners' actor Joyce Randolph dies at 99