Current:Home > InvestVanessa Bryant Reaches Nearly $29 Million Settlement With L.A. County Over Kobe Bryant Crash Photos -VisionFunds
Vanessa Bryant Reaches Nearly $29 Million Settlement With L.A. County Over Kobe Bryant Crash Photos
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 12:02:11
Vanessa Bryant is closing the book on her legal battle against Los Angeles County.
According to court documents obtained by E! News Feb. 28, the 40-year-old and county officials "have entered into a settlement agreement resolving the claims asserted by Vanessa Bryant." Vanessa was previously awarded $16 million after a jury found that her privacy was invaded when authorities shared unauthorized photos from the 2020 helicopter crash that killed her husband Kobe Bryant and their 13-year-old daughter Gianna "Gigi" Bryant.
In the filing, Vanessa's legal team noted "the settlement agreement also resolves similar claims" from her and Kobe's daughters Natalia, 20, Bianka, 6, and Capri, 3. It's conditional on court approval concerning her minor children.
The family will receive nearly $29 million as part of the settlement, according to Mira Hashmall, partner at the Miller Barondess law firm and lead trial counsel for L.A. County in the case.
"We believe the settlement approved by the Board in the Bryant case is fair and reasonable," she said in a statement to NBC News. "The $28,850,000 settlement includes the verdict awarded by the federal jury in August 2022, and further resolves all outstanding issues related to pending legal claims in state court, future claims by the Bryant children, and other costs, with each party responsible for its respective attorneys' fees."
The attorney added, "This settlement now concludes all County-related litigation related to the tragic January 2020 helicopter crash. We hope Ms. Bryant and her children continue to heal from their loss."
The settlement comes six months after Vanessa won her lawsuit against L.A County, which she sued for emotional distress and invasion of privacy. The jury in trial also awarded her co-plaintiff Chris Chester—whose wife Sarah and 13-year-old daughter Payton were among the nine people killed in the helicopter crash—$15 million in damages.
Chris recently settled with the county for $19.95 million, a total that includes his judgement from the civil suit, per ABC News.
During their trial, both Vanessa and Chris took the stand to testify how they felt upon learning that photos of human remains at the crash site had been distributed amongst first responders. For Vanessa, she recalled how she ran out of the house to cry, explaining to the jury, "I just felt like I wanted to run down the block and scream."
Describing herself as "blindsided, devastated, hurt and betrayed" by the existence of the images, Vanessa said she filed her lawsuit against the county because she "wanted answers."
"I live in fear every day," she said, adding that she never wants her kids to see the pictures. "All you want to do is protect your babies."
Shortly after the verdict was handed down on Aug. 24, Vanessa posted a photo of Kobe, 41, and Gigi on her Instagram, writing, "All for you! I love you!"
(E! and NBC News are both part of the NBCUniversal family.)
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (1454)
Related
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Sister Wives' Gwendlyn Brown Calls Women Thirsting Over Her Dad Kody Brown a Serious Problem
- Proof Ariana Madix & New Man Daniel Wai Are Going Strong After Explosive Vanderpump Rules Reunion
- Sporadic Environmental Voters Hold the Power to Shift Elections and Turn Red States Blue
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Sporadic Environmental Voters Hold the Power to Shift Elections and Turn Red States Blue
- Charlize Theron, Tracee Ellis Ross and More Support Celeb Hairstylist Johnnie Sapong After Brain Surgery
- Global Warming Means More Insects Threatening Food Crops — A Lot More, Study Warns
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Climate Change Ravaged the West With Heat and Drought Last Year; Many Fear 2021 Will Be Worse
Ranking
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Man was not missing for 8 years as mother claimed, Houston police say
- Sister Wives' Gwendlyn Brown Calls Women Thirsting Over Her Dad Kody Brown a Serious Problem
- See the Shocking Fight That Caused Teresa Giudice to Walk Out of the RHONJ Reunion
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Fossil Fuels on Trial: Where the Major Climate Change Lawsuits Stand Today
- Brian Austin Green Slams Claim Ex Megan Fox Forces Sons to Wear Girls Clothes
- Proof Ariana Madix & New Man Daniel Wai Are Going Strong After Explosive Vanderpump Rules Reunion
Recommendation
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
From Kristin Davis to Kim Cattrall, Look Back at Stars' Most Candid Plastic Surgery Confessions
EPA Rejects Civil Rights Complaint Over Alabama Coal Ash Dump
Minnesota Pipeline Ruling Could Strengthen Tribes’ Legal Case Against Enbridge Line 3
Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
After brief pause, Federal Reserve looks poised to raise interest rates again
Taylor Taranto, Jan. 6 defendant arrested near Obama's home, threatened to blow up van at government facility, feds say
Oakland’s War Over a Coal Export Terminal Plays Out in Court