Current:Home > MyRussia accuses Ukraine’s Western allies of helping attack its Black Sea Fleet headquarters -VisionFunds
Russia accuses Ukraine’s Western allies of helping attack its Black Sea Fleet headquarters
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 14:12:11
KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — Russia on Wednesday accused Ukraine’s Western allies of helping plan and conduct last week’s missile strike on the Black Sea Fleet’s headquarters in annexed Crimea.
“There is no doubt that the attack had been planned in advance using Western intelligence means, NATO satellite assets and reconnaissance planes and was implemented upon of the advice of American and British security agencies and in close coordination with them,” Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said at a briefing.
Moscow has repeatedly claimed that the U.S. and its NATO allies have effectively become involved in the conflict by supplying weapons to Ukraine and providing it with intelligence information and helping plan attacks on Russian facilities.
The accusation came the day after video appeared to show the fleet’s commander, Adm. Viktor Sokolov, was still alive despite Ukraine’s claims — without providing supporting evidence — that he was among 34 officers killed in Friday’s strike on the port city of Sevastopol.
The Crimean Peninsula, which Russia illegally annexed from Ukraine in 2014, has been a frequent target since Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered a full-scale invasion of Ukraine 20 months ago. Crimea has served as the key hub supporting the invasion and has increasingly come under fire by Ukraine.
Ukraine said the strike that put a large hole in the main building of the headquarters had wounded 105 people, though those claims could not independently be verified.
Russia initially said one serviceman was killed but quickly retracted that statement and said the person was missing.
Moscow has provided no further updates and has not commented directly on Sokolov’s status. The Ministry of Defense, however, posted video Tuesday showing Sokolov among other senior officers attending a video conference with Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu. Sokolov did not speak in the clip shown.
Ukraine’s Special Operation Forces posted a statement Tuesday saying its sources claimed Sokolov was among the dead, many of whom had not yet been identified. It said it was trying to verify the claim after the video surfaced.
Sokolov was shown speaking to journalists about the Black Fleet’s operations in a video posted on a news channel linked to the Russian Defense Ministry. It wasn’t clear when the video was recorded. The video didn’t contain any mention of the Ukrainian attack on fleet headquarters.
Zakharova’s statements follow comments made Tuesday by Dmitry Medvedev, the deputy head of Russia’s Security Council, who said the arrival American-made Abrams tanks in Ukraine and a U.S. promise to supply an unspecified number of long-range ATACMS missiles would push NATO closer to a direct conflict with Russia.
___
Associated Press journalist Brian Melley in London contributed to this report. ___
For more coverage of the war in Ukraine, visit: https://apnews.com/hub/russia-ukraine
veryGood! (335)
Related
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Halfway there! Noah Lyles wins 100 meters in pursuit of sprint double at world championships
- Ex-wife charged with murder in ambush-style killing of Microsoft executive Jared Bridegan, may face death penalty
- For one Texas doctor, abortion bans are personal and professional
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Overturned call goes against New York Yankees as losing streak reaches eight games
- Bazooka made a mint blowing bubbles. Now it's being snapped up for $700 million.
- Store owner shot to death right in front of her shop after dispute over LGBTQ+ pride flag, authorities say
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Salmonella outbreak across 11 states linked to small turtles
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Stock market today: Asian stocks follow Wall Street higher ahead of Federal Reserve conference
- The NFL's highest-paid offensive tackles: In-depth look at position's 2023 salary rankings
- Spanish singer Miguel Bosé robbed, bound along with children at Mexico City house
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Kylie Jenner Is Officially in Her Mom Jeans Era
- Maui confronts challenge of finding those unaccounted for after deadly fire
- Philadelphia mall evacuated after 4 men rob a jewelry store, pepper-spray employees
Recommendation
Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
Newborn twins taken from Michigan hotel have been found safe, police say
Montana asks judge to allow TikTok ban to take effect while legal challenge moves through courts
Only one new car in the U.S. now sells for under $20,000
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Biden administration announces more new funding for rural broadband infrastructure
Taylor Swift Doppelgänger Ashley Leechin Responds to Criticism of Malicious Impersonation Prank
Kylie Jenner Is Officially in Her Mom Jeans Era