Current:Home > NewsAfrican Union says its second phase of troop withdrawal from Somalia has started -VisionFunds
African Union says its second phase of troop withdrawal from Somalia has started
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 16:14:52
MOGADISHU, Somalia (AP) — The second phase of the African Union troop withdrawal from Somalia has started, the bloc said Monday. The pullout follows a timeline for the handover of security to the country’s authorities, which are fighting al-Qaida’s affiliate in East Africa — the Somalia-based al-Shabab.
Last year, the U.N. Security Council unanimously approved a new African Union Transition Mission in Somalia, known as ATMIS, to support the Somalis until their forces take full responsibility for the country’s security at the end of 2024.
The mission is targeting to pull out at least 3,000 more troops by the end of the month, out of the originally 19,626-strong AU force. In the first phase, some 2,000 AU troops drawn from various member states left Somalia in June, handing over six forward operating bases.
On Sunday, the Burundian contingent handed over the Biyo Adde forward operating base in the south-central Hirshabelle state, near the capital of Mogadishu, to the Somali national army. Commander Lt. Col. Philip Butoyi commended the progress made by the Somali forces.
“We have witnessed developments on the battlefield where Somali Security Forces have demonstrated their increasing capability to secure the country. We have seen the forces attack, seize, and hold ground,” the mission quoted Butoyi as saying.
Somali army Maj. Muhudiin Ahmed, thanked the Burundian troops for putting their “lives on the line and shed blood to defend our land against the enemy”.
Under a U.N resolution, the pullout will occur in three phases and completed by December 2024.
Somalia’s government last year launched “total war” on the al-Qaida-linked terror group al-Shabab, which controls parts of rural central and southern Somalia and makes millions of dollars through “taxation” of residents and extortion of businesses.
Al-Shahab has for more than a decade carried out devastating attacks while exploiting clan divisions and extorting millions of dollars a year in its quest to impose an Islamic state. The current offensive was sparked in part by local communities and militias driven to the brink by al-Shabab’s harsh taxation policies amid the country’s worst drought on record.
veryGood! (57)
Related
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- What's open and closed on Labor Day? Details on stores, restaurants, Walmart, Costco, more
- Score 50% Off Ariana Grande’s R.E.M. Beauty Lip Liner and $8.50 Ulta Deals from Tarte, Kopari & More
- Christa McAuliffe, still pioneering, is first woman with a statue on New Hampshire capitol grounds
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Sephora Flash Sale: 50% Off 24-Hour Lancome Foundation, Viral Clinique Black Honey Lipstick & More
- On the first day without X, many Brazilians say they feel disconnected from the world
- Clemson smacked by Georgia, showing Dabo Swinney's glory days are over
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Strikes start at top hotel chains as housekeepers seek higher wages and daily room cleaning work
Ranking
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- NHL star's death shocks the US. He's one of hundreds of bicyclists killed by vehicles every year.
- Johnny Gaudreau's Wife Breaks Silence After NHL Star and Brother Killed in Biking Accident
- The Rural Americans Too Poor for Federal Flood Protections
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Swimmer who calls himself The Shark will try again to cross Lake Michigan
- California lawmakers pass ambitious bills to atone for legacy of racism against Black residents
- Jason Duggar Is Engaged to Girlfriend Maddie Grace
Recommendation
South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
Caitlin Clark is now clear ROY favorite over Angel Reese. Why? She's helping Fever win.
Alix Earle apologizes again for using racial slurs directed at Black people a decade ago
Defending champion Coco Gauff loses in the U.S. Open’s fourth round to Emma Navarro
Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
Tennessee football fan gets into argument with wife live during Vols postgame radio show
Rapper Fatman Scoop dies at 53 after collapsing on stage in Connecticut
Small airplane crashes into neighborhood in Oregon, sheriff's office says