Current:Home > FinanceSafeX Pro Exchange|Epic Games sues Google and Samsung over phone settings, accusing them of violating antitrust laws -VisionFunds
SafeX Pro Exchange|Epic Games sues Google and Samsung over phone settings, accusing them of violating antitrust laws
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:28:45
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Video game maker Epic Games sued Google and SafeX Pro ExchangeSamsung on Monday, accusing the tech companies of coordinating to block third-party competition in application distribution on Samsung devices.
At issue is Samsung’s “Auto Blocker” feature, which only allows for apps from authorized sources, such as the Samsung Galaxy Store or Google Play Store, to be installed. The feature is turned on by default but can be changed in a phone’s settings. The tool prevents the installation of applications from unauthorized sources and blocks “malicious activity,” according to Samsung.
In a lawsuit filed in San Francisco federal court — Epic’s second against Google — the company said Auto Blocker “is virtually guaranteed to entrench Google’s dominance over Android app distribution.” Epic, developer of the popular game “Fortnite,” filed the suit to prevent Google from “negating the long overdue promise of competition in the Android App Distribution Market,” according to the complaint.
“Allowing this coordinated illegal anti-competitive dealing to proceed hurts developers and consumers and undermines both the jury’s verdict and regulatory and legislative progress around the world,” Epic Games said in a post on its website.
Google did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Samsung said it “actively fosters market competition, enhances consumer choice, and conducts its operations fairly.”
“The features integrated into our devices are designed in accordance with Samsung’s core principles of security, privacy, and user control, and we remain fully committed to safeguarding users’ personal data. Users have the choice to disable Auto Blocker at any time,” Samsung said, adding that it plans to “vigorously contest Epic Game’s baseless claims.”
Epic launched its Epic Games Store on iPhones in the European Union and on Android devices worldwide in August. The company claims that it now takes “an exceptionally onerous 21-step process” to download a third-party app outside of the Google Play Store or the Samsung Galaxy Store. But a support page on Epic’s website shows a four-step process to remove the Auto Blocker setting.
Epic won its first antitrust lawsuit against Google in December after a jury found that Google’s Android app store had been protected by anti-competitive barriers that damaged smartphone consumers and software developers.
The game maker says the “Auto Blocker” feature was intentionally crafted in coordination with Google to preemptively undermine the jury’s verdict in that case.
“Literally no store can compete with the incumbents when disadvantaged in this way,” Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney said on X. “To have true competition, all reputable stores and apps must be free to compete on a level playing field.”
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Suspect arrested after Tucson junior college student killed on the University of Arizona campus
- Caitlin Clark, Indiana Fever eliminated by Sun in WNBA playoffs
- Wendy's is offering $1 Frostys until the end of September
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan's divorce nears an end after 6 years
- Mark your calendars: 3 Social Security COLA dates to know for 2025
- Top aide for North Carolina Lt. Gov. Mark Robinson is resigning, adding to staff separations
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Presidents Cup TV, streaming, rosters for US vs. International tournament
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Northern lights forecast: Aurora borealis may appear in multiple US states, NOAA says
- Top aide for North Carolina Lt. Gov. Mark Robinson is resigning, adding to staff separations
- 2 hurt in IED explosion at Santa Barbara County courthouse, 1 person in custody
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Climate change destroyed an Alaska village. Its residents are starting over in a new town
- Holiday shoppers expected to shop online this season in record numbers
- What to know about Jake Paul-Mike Tyson fight: date, odds, how to watch
Recommendation
Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
Who plays on Thursday Night Football? Breaking down Week 4 matchup
The Daily Money: DOJ sues Visa
Harris makes scandal-plagued Republican the star of her campaign to win North Carolina
Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
10 homes have collapsed into the Carolina surf. Their destruction was decades in the making
Man who set off explosion at California courthouse had a criminal case there
Tech tips to turn yourself into a Google Workspace and Microsoft Office pro