Current:Home > MyBusinesses at struggling corner where George Floyd was killed sue Minneapolis -VisionFunds
Businesses at struggling corner where George Floyd was killed sue Minneapolis
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-05 22:12:41
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Several business owners at the struggling corner where George Floyd was murdered by a Minneapolis police officer in 2020 are suing the city to demand it take over their properties and compensate them.
The owners of the Cup Foods convenience store and other businesses operating near 38th Street and Chicago Avenue argue that the city’s failure to address deterioration and crime in the neighborhood has ruined their businesses and constitutes an unlawful taking of their property without just compensation, the Minnesota Star Tribune reported Thursday. They’re seeking $30 million in damages.
The area, now known as George Floyd Square, has become a place of pilgrimage for social justice supporters from across the country, and the store has renamed itself Unity Foods. But business owners say they haven’t benefitted, while activists and officials remain divided over how to transform the intersection while keeping it as a permanent memorial.
Floyd died after a white officer pinned his neck to the pavement outside Cup Foods for 9 1/2 minutes despite the Black man’s pleas of “I can’t breathe.” The ensuing protests, which turned violent at times, tested the leadership of Gov. Tim Walz at one of the state’s most consequential moments, and sparking a nationwide reckoning over racism and police misconduct. The officer, Derek Chauvin, was convicted of murder.
The legal action, filed last week in Hennepin County District Court, argues that the businesses have lost revenue, real estate value, reputation, and tenant and rental income. It argues that the city’s decisions led to higher crime and created a “no go zone” for police in the area. It replaces an earlier lawsuit by the businesses that was dismissed two months ago.
Michael Healey, the lawyer representing the businesses, told the Star Tribune there are two possible outcomes. The businesses “could conceivably keep the property if a settlement is reached with the city on the diminished value,” he said. The other possibility is that the city could begin the process of taking the properties and compensating the owners.
A city spokesperson said in a statement that while it can’t comment on pending litigation, the city “understands the challenges that residents and businesses have confronted in the wake of George Floyd’s murder.“
veryGood! (7527)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Suspect charged with murder and animal cruelty in fatal carjacking of 80-year-old dog walker
- An attack at a festival in a German city kills 3 people and wounds 4 seriously, police say
- Judge rules Breonna Taylor’s boyfriend caused her death, dismisses some charges against ex-officers
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Federal appeals court upholds Maryland’s handgun licensing requirements
- Rumer Willis Reveals She and Derek Richard Thomas Broke Up One Year After Welcoming Baby Louetta
- Search persists for woman swept away by flash flooding in the Grand Canyon
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Dr. Fauci was hospitalized with West Nile virus and is now recovering at home, a spokesperson says
Ranking
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Son of Texas woman who died in June says apartment complex drops effort to collect for broken lease
- Judge reduces charges against former cops in Louisville raid that killed Breonna Taylor
- Judge blocks 24-hour waiting period for abortions in Ohio, citing 2023 reproductive rights amendment
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Let’s remember these are kids: How to make the Little League World Series more fun
- Here's Prince William's Next Move After Summer Break With Kate Middleton and Their Kids
- Both sides argue for resolution of verdict dispute in New Hampshire youth center abuse case
Recommendation
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
College football Week 0 breakdown starts with Florida State-Georgia Tech clash
Anesthesiologist with ‘chloroform fetish’ admits to drugging, sexually abusing family’s nanny
Anna Menon of Polaris Dawn wrote a book for her children. She'll read it to them in orbit
Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
Hundreds cruise Philadelphia streets in the 15th annual Philly Naked Bike Ride
Judge blocks 24-hour waiting period for abortions in Ohio, citing 2023 reproductive rights amendment
Illinois Supreme Court upholds unconstitutionality of Democrats’ law banning slating of candidates