Current:Home > StocksKim Dotcom loses 12-year fight to halt deportation from New Zealand to face US copyright case -VisionFunds
Kim Dotcom loses 12-year fight to halt deportation from New Zealand to face US copyright case
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-07 03:15:06
WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — Kim Dotcom, founder of the once wildly popular file-sharing website Megaupload, lost a 12-year fight this week to halt his deportation from New Zealand to the U.S. on charges of copyright infringement, money laundering and racketeering.
New Zealand’s Justice Minister Paul Goldsmith divulged Friday that he had decided Dotcom should be surrendered to the U.S. to face trial, capping — for now — a drawn-out legal fight. A date for the extradition was not set, and Goldsmith said Dotcom would be allowed “a short period of time to consider and take advice” on the decision.
“Don’t worry I have a plan,” Dotcom posted on X this week. He did not elaborate, although a member of his legal team, Ira Rothken, wrote on the site that a bid for a judicial review — in which a New Zealand judge would be asked to evaluate Goldsmith’s decision — was being prepared.
The saga stretches to the 2012 arrest of Dotcom in a dramatic raid on his Auckland mansion, along with other company officers. Prosecutors said Megaupload raked in at least $175 million — mainly from people who used the site to illegally download songs, television shows and movies — before the FBI shut it down earlier that year.
Lawyers for the Finnish-German millionaire and the others arrested had argued that it was the users of the site, founded in 2005, who chose to pirate material, not its founders. But prosecutors argued the men were the architects of a vast criminal enterprise, with the Department of Justice describing it as the largest criminal copyright case in U.S. history.
The men fought the order for years — lambasting the investigation and arrests — but in 2021 New Zealand’s Supreme Court ruled that Dotcom and two other men could be extradited. It remained up to the country’s Justice Minister to decide if the extradition should proceed.
Three of Goldsmith’s predecessors did not announce a decision. Goldsmith was appointed justice minister in November after New Zealand’s government changed in an election.
“I have received extensive advice from the Ministry of Justice on this matter” and considered all information carefully, Goldsmith said in his statement.
“I love New Zealand. I’m not leaving,” German-born Dotcom wrote on X Thursday. He did not respond to an Associated Press request for comment.
Two of his former business partners, Mathias Ortmann and Bram van der Kolk, pleaded guilty to charges against them in a New Zealand court in June 2023 and were sentenced to two and a half years in jail. In exchange, U.S. efforts to extradite them were dropped.
Prosecutors had earlier abandoned their extradition bid against a fourth officer of the company, Finn Batato, who was arrested in New Zealand. Batato returned to Germany where he died from cancer in 2022.
In 2015, Megaupload computer programmer Andrus Nomm, of Estonia, pleaded guilty to conspiring to commit felony copyright infringement and was sentenced to one year and one day in U.S. federal prison.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- 3 Washington state officers acquitted in death of Manuel Ellis will each receive $500K to leave department
- Bye-bye, witty road signs: Feds ban funny electronic messages on highways
- Blackhawks vs. Sabres postponed to Thursday as heavy snow, travel ban hit Buffalo
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Smashing Pumpkins reviewing over 10,000 applications for guitarist role
- Funeral set for Melania Trump’s mother at church near Mar-a-Lago
- How to create a budget for 2024: First, check out how you spent in 2023
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Houthis continue attacks in Red Sea even after series of U.S. military strikes
Ranking
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Pakistani airstrikes on Iran killed 4 children and 3 women, a local official tells Iranian state TV
- Kristin Juszczyk explains inspiration for Taylor Swift's Travis Kelce jacket, other designs
- Severed hand found in the pocket of man suspected of killing woman in Colorado, police say
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Solidly GOP Indiana doesn’t often see competitive primaries for governor. This year is different
- Some US states and NYC succeed in getting 2020 census numbers double-checked and increased
- In ‘Origin,’ Ava DuVernay and Aunjanue Ellis-Taylor seek the roots of racism
Recommendation
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
The 19 Best Hair Masks to Give Your Dry, Damaged Hair New Life
Rape suspect accused of faking his death to avoid justice denies his identity
Ali Krieger Details Her “New Chapter” After Year of Change
New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
UK leader Rishi Sunak tries to quell Conservative revolt over his Rwanda plan for migrants
Tina Fey talks best new 'Mean Girls' jokes, 'crazy' ways that '30 Rock' mirrors real life
A new attack on a ship in the Gulf of Aden probably was a Houthi drone, UK military says