Current:Home > MarketsIndexbit-'A great day for Red Lobster': Company exiting bankruptcy, will operate 544 locations -VisionFunds
Indexbit-'A great day for Red Lobster': Company exiting bankruptcy, will operate 544 locations
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 12:23:43
Red Lobster is Indexbitexiting Chapter 11 bankruptcy after a federal judge on Thursday approved the seafood restaurant chain's plan to rebound from an "endless shrimp" fiasco, massive debt, dozens of location closures and an overall decline in guests.
As part of Red Lobster's Chapter 11 plan, RL Investor Holdings LLC − a newly formed entity organized and controlled by Fortress Investment Group LLC − will acquire the restaurant chain. The acquisition is expected to be completed by the end of the month, Red Lobster said in a news release.
Red Lobster will be Fortress' most recent acquisition of a company that has filed for bankruptcy, following the purchases of Vice Media and the Alamo Drafthouse, which has since been sold to Sony Pictures Entertainment.
Fortress also controls a company called SPB Hospitality, which owns brands such as Logan's Roadhouse, Krystal, Old Chicago Pizza & Taproom and Twisted Tenders, spokesperson Gordon Runté said.
"It's definitely an area where we have a lot of experience," Runté told USA TODAY about acquiring another struggling restaurant. "Red Lobster is a big undertaking, it is 500-plus locations, but we're excited about the prospects for the restaurant."
'This is a great day for Red Lobster'
Once the acquisition is complete, Damola Adamolekun will become the CEO of the Red Lobster restaurant chain and take over for former CEO Jonathan Tibus, who will step down from the role and leave the company. Adamolekun was formerly CEO of P. F. Chang's.
"This is a great day for Red Lobster," Adamolekun said. "With our new backers, we have a comprehensive and long-term investment plan – including a commitment of more than $60 million in new funding – that will help to reinvigorate the iconic brand while keeping the best of its history."
"Red Lobster has a tremendous future, and I cannot wait to get started on our plan with the company's more than 30,000 team members across the USA and Canada," he said.
Following the court's approval, Red Lobster will continue to operate as an independent company and maintain 544 locations across 44 U.S. states and four Canadian provinces, the company said.
"I'm proud of what Red Lobster has achieved during this restructuring – the Company will emerge from Chapter 11 stronger financially and operationally, and with new backers who are resolutely focused on investment and growth, " Jonathan Tibus said in the release.
Red Lobster closed 23 locations last week
Red Lobster recently closed 23 more restaurants across the nation.
The recent restaurant closures brought the total closures to at least 129 across the U.S. The most recent wave included three locations in Florida, Illinois and Virginia; two in Minnesota and New York; and one in each of the following states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Georgia, Indiana, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, and South Carolina.
Why did Red Lobster file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy?
Red Lobster filed for bankruptcy on May 19 after closing dozens of locations and announcing that the chain intended to "drive operational improvements" by simplifying the business. Documents later filed in the Middle District of Florida revealed that the bankruptcy was due to significant debt, a carousel of CEOs, an all-you-can-eat shrimp debacle and a 30% drop in guests since 2019.
"Recently, the debtors have faced a number of financial and operational challenges, including a difficult macroeconomic environment, a bloated and underperforming restaurant footprint, failed or ill-advised strategic initiatives, and increased competition within the restaurant industry," Tibus said in the bankruptcy documents.
Tibus, who was serving as Red Lobster's chief revenue officer on Jan. 11, before being named CEO, said in the documents that "it was immediately clear that Red Lobster's performance was deteriorating and had been doing so for several years."
Contributing: Natalie Neysa Alund and Gabe Hauari/ USA TODAY
veryGood! (889)
Related
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Australian prime minister announces China visit hours before leaving for US to meet Biden
- Bay Area rap icon E-40 films music video at San Joaquin Valley vineyard
- Iowa woman who made fake cancer claims on social media must pay restitution but stays out of prison
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Coyotes' Travis Dermott defies NHL ban on Pride Tape; league to review 'in due course'
- The IRS will soon set new tax brackets for 2024. Here's what that means for your money.
- Soccer fans flock to Old Trafford to pay tribute to Bobby Charlton following his death at age 86
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Kenneth Chesebro, Trump co-defendant in Georgia 2020 election case, pleads guilty
Ranking
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Kourtney Kardashian Shares Heartfelt Birthday Tribute to Kim Kardashian After TV Fights
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom is traveling to China to talk climate change
- Kenneth Chesebro, Trump co-defendant in Georgia 2020 election case, pleads guilty
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Judge fines Trump $5,000 after threatening prison for gag order violation
- 'Really pissed me off': After tempers flare, Astros deliver stunning ALCS win vs. Rangers
- Millions of rural Americans rely on private wells. Few regularly test their water.
Recommendation
Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
Last Chance: Save Up to 90% Off on Kate Spade Outlet Crossbodies, Shoulder Bags, Jewelry & More
'Strange and fascinating' Pacific football fish washes up on Southern California beach
Tesla recall: Nearly 55,000 new-model vehicles affected by brake safety issue
Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
Manhunt launched for Nashville police chief’s son suspected in shooting of 2 Tennessee officers
'Love Island Games' cast: See Season 1 contestants returning from USA, UK episodes
The FDA is proposing a ban on hair relaxers with formaldehyde due to cancer concerns